did i play this correctly?

I am in a tourney at Hollywood, Shreveport and only the final 5 get paid, about 30 players left. I have a stack of 21,000 and am in big blind, blinds are 1000 - 2000. 134 players began. I am dealt J-3 off, 3 players have limped i check. Flop comes j-3-5 rainbow, I bet 8000, one caller Turn comes Queen, I move all-in for 13,000 and am called Caller has Q-JBad play or just a tough beat?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in a tourney at Hollywood, Shreveport and only the final 5 get paid, about 30 players left. I have a stack of 21,000 and am in big blind, blinds are 1000 - 2000. 134 players began.  I am dealt J-3 off, 3 players have limped i check.  Flop comes j-3-5 rainbow, I bet 8000, one caller  Turn comes Queen, I move all-in for 13,000 and am called  Caller has Q-JBad play or just a tough beat?
It wasn't a tough beat because he had you beat when you moved all in. It would have been a beat if you'd moved all in on the flop :)Regardless, I think you played it fairly well. I would have done pretty much the same thing...
Why go all in?I call bad play..
He went all-in because his all-in bet was less than the size of the pot (thus it wasn't an overbet). He doesn't want to check because he doesn't want anyone else to get a higher 2-pair or a straight on the river....

I think the wrong move was going all-in because when you bet the 8000 from the big blind and were called. I would have put him on the other jack. With your kicker you were beat for sure. Checking would have been tough. Your first bet of 8000 signels that you are holding a Jack and at most you hit trips. Knowing you only had one Jack, after his call what did you think he had?

I move allin because I think I have best hand, am fairly sure i'll get a call, remember, only pays top 5 and 30 or so people left, have to get some chips to have a shot at the money and more important a shot at winning.

I am in a tourney at Hollywood, Shreveport and only the final 5 get paid, about 30 players left. I have a stack of 21,000 and am in big blind, blinds are 1000 - 2000. 134 players began.  I am dealt J-3 off, 3 players have limped i check.  Flop comes j-3-5 rainbow, I bet 8000, one caller  Turn comes Queen, I move all-in for 13,000 and am called  Caller has Q-JBad play or just a tough beat?
Ya.. tuff break man.. what i'm sure you thought your 2 pair were good. But a push all in is very risky.blinds were 1000-2000, i would have bet about 4000, see where i'm at. and a larger on the turn. Remember, your not showing weekness just because you didnt bet more than the pot. He wont push unless its worth it to him.

You think you have a hand but what did you think he had after calling your bet? I would have fired out another 4000-8000 to test the waters. With the hand he had, he would have raised you back or called.

blinds were 1000-2000,  i would have bet about 4000, see where i'm at. and a larger on the turn. Remember, your not showing weekness just because you didnt bet more than the pot. He wont push unless its worth it to him.
The thing that sucks though is when the blinds are that big in a tourney, it turns into a push fest. I may have pushed on the flop to just try and take it down right then and there. If he calls and outdraws... bad beat.
I think the wrong move was going all-in because when you bet the 8000 from the big blind and were called.   I would have put him on the other jack.  With your kicker you were beat for sure.  Checking would have been tough.    Your first bet of 8000 signels that you are holding a Jack and at most you hit trips.   Knowing you only had one Jack, after his call what did you think he had?
Maybe you should re-read AGAIN. His crappy kicker was paired!I think you played it fine. Even if you moved all-in on the flop, he might have called with top pair thinking his Q-kicker was good since you were a short stack and didn't put in a preflop raise.
blinds were 1000-2000,  i would have bet about 4000, see where i'm at. and a larger on the turn. Remember, your not showing weekness just because you didnt bet more than the pot. He wont push unless its worth it to him.
The thing that sucks though is when the blinds are that big in a tourney, it turns into a push fest. I may have pushed on the flop to just try and take it down right then and there. If he calls and outdraws... bad beat.
Ya man. all in fests are lame. i know. i've play them all the time when everyone gets soo low in tourny's in relation to the blinds.but just from my own experience. I would have played that hand differently.A- yes a push after the flop would have been a better play. orB- smaller bets, with the ability to fold if you sense danger.
I re-read....  maybe you should think about what I asked...when he bet 8000 from the big blind and had a CALLER... WTF did he think the guy had???????
Ok, if you bet 8000 into that pot and get a caller, you expect the person to have top pair. How are you supposed to know that the guy spiked his kicker on the turn. Most people lose all their chips in this position because the other person spiked a 3 outer. You have to believe that you have the best hand here. With the blinds this high and with the stacks relative to the blinds, going broke is about the only option. He pays you off with his QJ 75% (estimate, don't want to get flamed for the incorrect percent) of the time, so back off the OP. I think that going allin on the flop is the only reasonable way to win this hand, and 9/10 you're not going to win it that way unless the person holding the QJ can get away from it, and I don't think many players fold QJ in that position.
I think the wrong move was going all-in because when you bet the 8000 from the big blind and were called.   I would have put him on the other jack.  With your kicker you were beat for sure.
What fatman is trying to say is that even if the other guy had AJ, aces_over still had him beat because he had 2 paid: jacks and threes. Understand now?
when he bet 8000 from the big blind and had a CALLER... WTF did he think the guy had???????
Depends on the player. If he's bad he could be slowplaying AJ, KJ, a weak Ace with a wheel draw ...I say it's lucky that you hit your three outer on the flop, but too bad that your opponent caught back up.

I love how going broke is the only option for some of you. If I still have chips I am still in it.I didn't ask for commentary from the peanut gallery. I asked the poster what he put the other guy on. It requires an answer from him. I was wondering what went through his mind as he went all in with a caller.2 pair?? so what.

OK, so you think you made a bad play by going all in there. Let's say you bet 4K on the turn cause the call of 8K on the flop scared you. He raises you all in. Do you feel like you could have got away from it? If so I assume you put him on QJ or 55..good for you. If you were going to call all of your chips anyway, why do you think you made a bad decision going all in? Wouldn't the rule of "if you are going to call all in for the rest of your chips why don't you just go all in and at least get some fold equity" apply?

I move allin because I think I have best hand, am fairly sure i'll get a call, remember, only pays top 5 and 30 or so people left, have to get some chips to have a shot at the money and more important a shot at winning.
You asked if you made a bad play, this statement answers your question: You move all in because you THOUGHT you had the best hand. You wanted the caller. This is a mistake by you, you may have been blinded a bit by the strength of your flopped hand, and yes you were unlucky to have him hit the Q, but yes you made a bad play, you misread him and went with it. Pushing all-in on the flop would've been a better play cause there are just too many hands that counterfeit your 2 pair... what if a 5 comes on the turn, you're screwed. At least if you push on the flop you could've posted this in the bad beat section...But since you didn't push on the flop, I'd say that Lebowski was right, if you're going to call his all-in bet regardless, then you should just push all-in. The ideal play on the turn would've been a small bet with the ability to read his strength and make the laydown... that said it's difficult to do.
OK, so you think you made a bad play by going all in there.  Let's say you bet 4K on the turn cause the call of 8K on the flop scared you.  He raises you all in.  Do you feel like you could have got away from it?  If so I assume you put him on QJ or 55..good for you.  If you were going to call all of your chips anyway, why do you think you made a bad decision going all in?  Wouldn't the rule of "if you are going to call all in for the rest of your chips why don't you just go all in and at least get some fold equity" apply?
I flopped a set yesterday, and bet a small amount.,wanting to keep a couple of people in. The turn braught a card that would give a possible straight with 2 connected cards. 9,10 i think. Anywyas. It's checked to me. I bet a larger bet. more than the pot this time. I get 1 caller. The river is a 9.. now it only takes a 10 for the straight. My opponent is 1st to act and he pushes all in. I had him covered, but i folded.and he showed me nothing., he bluffed me off my set. And i said. Thank you.and about 30 mins. later. he was broke. Moral of my lame story is, its ok to throw away a good hand if you feel comfortable enough to make it back later
OK, so you think you made a bad play by going all in there.  Let's say you bet 4K on the turn cause the call of 8K on the flop scared you.  He raises you all in.  Do you feel like you could have got away from it?  If so I assume you put him on QJ or 55..good for you.  If you were going to call all of your chips anyway, why do you think you made a bad decision going all in?  Wouldn't the rule of "if you are going to call all in for the rest of your chips why don't you just go all in and at least get some fold equity" apply?
I flopped a set yesterday, and bet a small amount.,wanting to keep a couple of people in. The turn braught a card that would give a possible straight with 2 connected cards. 9,10 i think. Anywyas. It's checked to me. I bet a larger bet. more than the pot this time. I get 1 caller. The river is a 9.. now it only takes a 10 for the straight. My opponent is 1st to act and he pushes all in. I had him covered, but i folded.and he showed me nothing., he bluffed me off my set. And i said. Thank you.and about 30 mins. later. he was broke. Moral of my lame story is, its ok to throw away a good hand if you feel comfortable enough to make it back later
That's weird... that's not why I'd ever throw a hand away, I'd throw it away if I thought I was beat, or maybe if I'm up against a ridiculous overbet. But throwing a hand away cause I'm comfortable I can make it back is strange.
I love how going broke is the only option for some of you.   If I still have chips I am still in it.I didn't ask for commentary from the peanut gallery.  I asked the poster what he put the other guy on.  It requires an answer from him.  I was wondering what went through his mind as he went all in with a caller.2 pair??  so what.
First of all, this is a forum. Posting implies potential peanut gallery commentary.Second of all, I think you are being results-oriented in your analysis. This was a dream flop for the OP and the scary call that you keep referring to was made by an opponent who was completely f'n dominated at the time.I would have pushed on the flop, but as I said before, my suspicion is that QJ would have called. I think most people would have gone broke on this hand.

Royal, I see the moral of that story is that you got outplayed on every street. I make that call 100% of the time if I have him covered and have a decent size stack left. Why does he go all in there with a ten? He has to specifically put you on a set knowing that is the only hand you could possibly call with..besides a T obviously. I would love to see that hand history to see what hands he possible could have had. BTW, I think it is ok to throw away a good hand anytime for any reason you deem necessary. Haven't you ever thrown a hand away that you actually thought was ahead? Call me crazy, but I have done that on very few occasions as well.