2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True, but Mactavish doesn't get to take credit for Devan's success, nor does Shanahan for Kessel's. And I will continue to be bitter because it's sports and I don't have to be forgiving and understand

Bruins with zero shots in the 2nd period vs Ottawa.

This isn't directly related to the Niskanen incident, but his comment inspired it.   Everybody who injures someone claims they had "no intent to injure," But like, if you're running someone who does

4 people need to hit the road for this team to take the next step. In order...

Connor Carrick

Martin Marincin

Matt Hunwick

Consuela Conchita Martinez

I know Andersen is signed for another 4 years but he did let some soft goals in.

The crowd was frantically screaming Freddie because he looked awesome but I think the tying goal was soft

Thoughts on him?

Freddy is good enough.

That is my thought too especially if we upgrade the d but the Wilson ot, the tying goal last night etc just makes me wonder

I know Andersen is signed for another 4 years but he did let some soft goals in.

The crowd was frantically screaming Freddie because he looked awesome but I think the tying goal was soft

Thoughts on him?

he reminds me (not technique wise, but results wise) of Hasek: he lets in the odd goal that he should probably have, but he makes some saves he probably shouldn't. And, considering past goalies, he's been plenty good.

I'll be watching the Nash/St Louie and Pitt/Wash series. I don't think the Pitt/Was matchup is a been there, done that situation since Washington is going to crush Pittsburgh this time.

Nashville was very fun to watch against the Blackhawks. I hope Rinne can sustain his play for a few more series.

I'd like to see Nashville make a run because PK winning a cup in one of the years that was supposed to be a "win" for Montreal in the trade would be too perfect. and I'll be cheering for Edmonton and Washington to lose.

I'll be mostly checking out of the playoffs though. The Wild and Leafs series' were too emotionally draining to get excited about other teams and games at this point.

I'll be mostly checking out of the playoffs though. The Wild and Leafs series' were too emotionally draining to get excited about other teams and games at this point.

I usually check out around this time every year anyway, and the Leafs loss, combined with the good weather, lack of teams I like, and the Raptors/Jays will all work towards me being pretty much unattached to the NHL results.

come on, somebody fold a franchise!

8000+ empty seats for a 2nd round playoff game against an original six team... there's your candidate city right there.

Was it really 8k? I find that hard to believe.

I'd believe it if they didn't sell out though. Support is shitty in that city, but I place a whole lot of the blame on geography. Awful arena location. They'll move downtown in a few years and I think you'll see the city actually pay attention to the team more.

I'm the biggest hockey fan I know, and even I've passed on going to games in Ottawa that I already paid for tickets for, because of how annoying it is to get to that rink.

I didn't miss a Pens/Sens playoff game, mind you, but I can see how casual fans from Orleans or Vanier would balk at playoff ticket prices and a long ass road trip and shitty atmosphere around and even in the arena.

it was 2-4k. Still embarrassing.

Location is part of the problem. By far the least passionate Canadian fan base a bigger part of the problem. You could put a Leafs home playoff game in a 20,000 seat stadium in Moose Jaw and it would sell out.

Ya, I wonder how much is true apathy and how much is location.

Zach, did you ever get the sense at the games that the crowd was crazy into it? Cause I watch Winnipeg/Edm/Cgy, and its intense. Ottawa just seems.....bla. Maybe its just me, I dont get the sense the crowd is going nuts, which now I even do at Leafs games, even with the guys in suits on a Sunday night. (like seriously, who the fck is putting on a suit to go to a game on a Sunday?!?!)

All I can think of is Karma.

Two years ago in the Ottawa/Montreal playoff series

In a move designed to stamp Canadiens fans out of the nation’s capital, the Senators announced Sunday they would restrict playoff ticket sales, “reserving the right” to refuse customers from outside the Ottawa region.s

They constantly try to limit Toronto and Montreal fans because they want a "home" crowd, yet when they play other teams, their own fans do not support them.

• Like 1

Ya, I wonder how much is true apathy and how much is location.

Zach, did you ever get the sense at the games that the crowd was crazy into it? Cause I watch Winnipeg/Edm/Cgy, and its intense. Ottawa just seems.....bla. Maybe its just me, I dont get the sense the crowd is going nuts, which now I even do at Leafs games, even with the guys in suits on a Sunday night. (like seriously, who the fck is putting on a suit to go to a game on a Sunday?!?!)

No, there's a lot of apathy.

I'm *hoping* that moving downtown puts the team more in the minds of the locals. Right now, quite literally out of sight/out of mind.

They were pretty passionate in the cup finals run, weren't they? Sens Mile and all that? Before I moved to Ottawa.

Fans went bananas for 2010 Olympic hockey too. I was there for that. It was insane out on the streets.

I personally don't think having the rink in Kanata is an issue. It is not that far. Driving home from Ottawa in February and I drove pass it and thought the drive is not bad. What are people talking about?

The problem with Ottawa is it is government No big spenders

I just wrote up like a 10 paragraph post and then Chrome crashed, so **** it.

The drive is shit. There's nothing within 2.5 km of the arena in terms of food, drink, anything. This mean everyone drives there at the same time, everyone leaves at the same time. Driving there you have to fight commuter traffic. Unless you leave at 3:00, which I've done before, but of course, once you're there, there's nothing to do!

It's pure garbage. I've lived it. It was fine the first few times, and it probably seems fine when you go to 1 game every few years, but I wouldn't want to do it to even half of their home games every year.

That's the coles notes version. The long, detailed, balanced explanation is lost to the ether of the internet. Alas.

Don't disagree, but put the Habs or the leafs in a playoff series against the rangers and put the home games at the Canadian tire centre in Kanata and I bet it would sell out every game. It's an obstacle that a passionate fan base would overcome.

Don't disagree, but put the Habs or the leafs in a playoff series against the rangers and put the home games at the Canadian tire centre in Kanata and I bet it would sell out every game. It's an obstacle that a passionate fan base would overcome.

I didn't mean to imply that it was the only reason. And I'm not trying to make excuses. I don't think Ottawa is all that much of a hockey town. Most of the people I knew there, including myself, liked teams that weren't the Sens, if they watched hockey at all.

But I mean, the Leafs and the Habs have the benefit of 100 years of history building a fan base... Ottawa is up to 25, but before that it was split between MTL and TOR... how long would it take you to change your favorite team if a new squad started in the city you live in?

And let's not pretend that the Ottawa CMA (1.3 million) is in any way comparable to Toronto (5.9), or Montreal (4.1)... and I don't know if we can even count all of Ottawa... pretty sure Gatineau (300k) tends to lean Habs anyways.