Could someone explain the super-aggressive style that Daniel, Ivy and Hasnen among others play? Obviously it is playing looser and more aggressive, but how is the aggression different and when do these players decide to play substandard cards? Finally, how do they play these cards? Thanks as it is hard to really understand their style from the small sampling of hands that one sees on television.

Could someone explain the super-aggressive style that Daniel, Ivy and Hasnen among others play?  Obviously it is playing looser and more aggressive, but how is the aggression different and when do these players decide to play substandard cards? Finally, how do they play these cards? Thanks as it is hard to really understand their style from the small sampling of hands that one sees on television.
They are masters of reading people and that skill allows them to play the crap and make moves on people.
Could someone explain the super-aggressive style that Daniel, Ivy and Hasnen among others play?  Obviously it is playing looser and more aggressive, but how is the aggression different and when do these players decide to play substandard cards? Finally, how do they play these cards? Thanks as it is hard to really understand their style from the small sampling of hands that one sees on television.
It's even harder to explain their style in one post. Wait until Daniel and Gus' respective books come out....

Their super-aggressive style is mainly in their choice of starting hand requirements. Many people will only play hands that have an ace, 2 face cards, suited connectors or pairs. Super-aggressive players will play ANY two cards if they feel they are in a good position.To these super-aggressive players, good position means that no one has opened the pot yet and/or they are in late position (meaning they will get to act after players in subsequent rounds).

I agree with what has been stated above.I play an agressive style in NL games. It fits my natural comfort level. What you need to do is:1. Have a good read on your opponents2. Be willing to play any two cards that have a chance at making a modest hand.3. Only play these hands when nobody else is displaying confidence AND made a significant raise4. Be a master on the flop...both betting style and folding ability. You WILL fold a lot of handsWhen I play limit I play agressive only when my table image gets too tight. I assume the limit comments are obvious, but just in case.Super aggressive play is not for everyone. If you do not have the stomach...don't do it!

Could it also be stated that this method is better to be played when the stacks are deep; and is not exactly the best style to play if the format has a small amount of chips? I'm guessing this because of the fact that you are going to lay down a lot of hands after betting.

Could it also be stated that this method is better to be played when the stacks are deep; and is not exactly the best style to play if the format has a small amount of chips? I'm guessing this because of the fact that you are going to lay down a lot of hands after betting.
Actually it's the opposite. You want to be aggressive when there aren't many chips to pick up lots of small pots pre flop.

I finished reading the chapter on Howard Lederer yesterday in my Aces and Kings book. I thought it was really interesting that hes really good buds with Gus Hansen and they 'study' together for an hour or two every day while at the gym working out. Everyone knows Howard is 'the professor' and mathematically analyzes every situation while Gus is viewed at as kind of a 'wild card' that plays super aggressive with any two cards. I find it very interesting that these 2 polar opposites study together daily. Howard said each day his style rubs off a little more on Gus and vice versa. Great book by the way.

I was always under the impression that Gus Hansen is a highly mathematical player, as he uses his backgammon smarts and understanding of equity while playing NLHE. His play may appear very reckless, but it seems to make a certain mathematical sense.

Here's how super-aggressive players work: You determine how much your opponents' cards are worth [i would like to quote Greenstein on this but I do not for sure remember if the idea refers to NLHE or LHE]. If they are weak, you bet. If they bet weak, you come over the top. Only go to war with the nuts if you see aggression. In short, you poke on others until they crack and go all-in against you at the wrong time. So how do you play against these type of players? You go over the top on them. If you let them push you around until you have the nuts, you will bleed your chips to death. Lederer once said something in the context of, "Ivey knows I do not need aces to come over the top." Note: If you do not have the guts to go over the top on someone holding nothing because your opponent has shown weakness, NLHE is not a game for you. Of course, if you always think someone has the nuts when they bet strongly, you need to improve your reading ability.

I finished reading the chapter on Howard Lederer yesterday in my Aces and Kings book. I thought it was really interesting that hes really good buds with Gus Hansen and they 'study' together for an hour or two every day while at the gym working out. Everyone knows Howard is 'the professor' and mathematically analyzes every situation while Gus is viewed at as kind of a 'wild card' that plays super aggressive with any two cards. I find it very interesting that these 2 polar opposites study together daily. Howard said each day his style rubs off a little more on Gus and vice versa. Great book by the way.
everything Gus does is mathematics
everything Gus does is mathematics
I agree 100%. Everything I have read is that as 'chaotic' as Gus 'appears', his moves are all justified in mathetmatics. Reading back on my original post I dont think I expressed what I was trying to say very well.Just meant both of these guys spend so much time 'studying' and analyzing every possible hand/move/hand possible yet there games are completely opposite. They both play based on mathetmatics yet to watch them actually play its like night/day.

An element of this style is related to game theory and creating random betting patterns. An example of game theory relates to coordination of an action(bet) to an inanimate object(coin). If I were to bet everytime I flipped a coin and it landed on heads, and checked-called everytime it landed tails, there would be no distinguished pattern to my betting. I'm not saying Gus is flipping coins, but an element of his play is based on such randomness I would assume. Barry Greenstein classifies Gus as an active or loose player vs. the common perception of hyper-aggressive. An active or loose player will raise with any two cards. They will also back down to an opponent that plays back at them. They pick up enough pots without confrontation that they can afford to laydown hands, even big hands, the very hands that many players bust out on. This style is not easy to play as it requires a great discipline, which most players do not possess. It requires heart and an element of fearlessness. It requires a tremendous ability to read hands, and most importantly, recognize true weakness or strength in an opponent. In addition, such a player will need a great understanding of the mathmatics of the game, as many of their decisions (primarily those when an opponent play back at them) will be based on odds.Adding in the randomness of game theory, and such players become very formible opponents at the table. Such a style is suited to NL and PL games, as the implied odds are enormous at times, and they can have greater control over the opposition than they might have in a limit stucture.