The Trump Presidency Thread

The lying is just so brazen that they don't even try and hide it any longer and why should they. It got them the Presidency.

Vox ‏@voxdotcom 7h7 hours ago

Kellyanne Conway made up a fake terrorist attack to justify Trump’s "Muslim ban"

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/2/2/14494478/bowling-green-massacre

In an interview with MSNBC’s Chris Matthews that aired on Thursday night, Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway managed to get two huge things wrong in a short, 19-second answer. First, she said that the Obama administration banned Iraqi refugees from entering in the United States for six months in 2011 — which is flatly untrue.

Second, and more significantly, she made up a terrorist attack committed by Iraqi refugees that never happened — the “Bowling Green Massacre”:

Joe Sonka is, to be clear, 100 percent correct about this. There has never been a terrorist attack in Bowling Green, Kentucky committed by Iraqi refugees.

Conway claims that “most people don't know that because it didn't get covered.” Most people don’t know about it because it didn’t happen.

Where Conway is coming from (I think)

In 2011, two Iraqi refugees, Waad Ramadan Alwan and Mohanad Shareef Hammadi, were arrested in Bowling Green, KY, on federal terrorism charges. Allegedly, they had been plotting to send money and weapons back home to Iraqi insurgents.

During the investigation, the FBI found something worrying: fingerprints from Alwan on a roadside bomb in Iraq. This suggested there was a very specific flaw in America’s refugee screening process: Databases of fingerprints from Iraqi militants were not well-integrated into the broader State Department–run refugee admissions process. As a result, the Obama administration initiated a new review of all roughly 57,000 Iraqi refugees who had been recently admitted into the United States.

This process was manpower- and time-intensive, and resulted in a significant slowdown in Iraqi refugee admissions to the United States for six months. But it was not a ban, as Conway, Trump, and many in the conservative media claimed: Refugees from Iraq entered the United States in all six months.

So, to recap:

No one was killed by refugees in Bowling Green.

There was never even a plan to kill anyone in Bowling Green.

There was no ban on Iraqi refugee admissions afterwards.

It is, I suppose, possible that Conway was referring to the other Bowling Green Massacre, which is a local haunted house.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He misses me so he's trying to fill the void with a sugar substitute ( that's you suited )

I've had it.   He did not ****ing dispute the story   He made a statement about things that weren't in the ****ing story which means he confirmed the ****ing story.   Jesus Jumping Jimmeny Chris

he should throw a gay person off a building while he's there or kill someone for drawing a cartoon. really get into the spirit of being a muslim.

Bob the beauty is everyone is lying, fortunately for the entire the left is lying more, louder and dumber...daily and has been for years! Trump and crew can say anything within reason or even a step beyond and still be in way good shape! Fox is the same, slanted? sure it is but way way WAY more credible then either CNN or MSNBC. The print media is worse NYTimes and Washington Post have lost all credibility with the public.

It is close to a perfect storm and is 100% self inflicted by the left! LOL we couldn't write a better script.

The lying is just so brazen that they don't even try and hide it any longer and why should they. It got them the Presidency.

First, she said that the Obama administration banned Iraqi refugees from entering in the United States for six months in 2011 — which is flatly untrue.

Bob's Twitter people > ABC News

WAY more credible then either CNN or MSNBC. The print media is worse NYTimes and Washington Post have lost all credibility with the public.

I love how your confirmation bias is so strong not only are you writing off facts (ie Trump and his surrogates own words on tape) but you are writing off all media that doesn't fit your safe space. #tiggered much?

And speaking of actual fake news instead of "lalala I can't hear you" you guys are suckers for alarmist fake news.

Bob the beauty is everyone is lying, fortunately for the entire the left is lying more, louder and dumber...daily and has been for years! Trump and crew can say anything within reason or even a step beyond and still be in way good shape! Fox is the same, slanted? sure it is but way way WAY more credible then either CNN or MSNBC. The print media is worse NYTimes and Washington Post have lost all credibility with the public.

It is close to a perfect storm and is 100% self inflicted by the left! LOL we couldn't write a better script.

You are so delusional that you are justifying literal state propaganda based on perceived left media bias? It would be funny if it weren't so terrifying.

Do you seriously think Fox News is state-run media? That is terrifying.

You are so delusional that you are justifying literal state propaganda based on perceived left media bias? It would be funny if it weren't so terrifying.

Are you terrified? Like actually, literally terrified? I keep seeing people say everything is terrifying but then they go to sleep and wake up in the country with more freedom and justice than any time ever in human history and I laugh at their hyperbole.

• Like 1

Do you seriously think Fox News is state-run media? That is terrifying.

Earlier in the election cycle they didn't give Trump a pass and I haven't watched any Fox recently but they probably have figured out what the rest of the Republicans have. Let Trump be the dabbling buffoon that distracts everyone while they ram through of their pro-business agenda through Congress. And apparently be complete cuckservatives and put their head in the sand (other than a few exceptions) about Bannon's end game.

And as much as the mainstream media got flack being biased against Trump for whatever reason they were shit about bringing up the skeletons in the closest. They took him for a fool and went for the easy fact checking rather that knocking holes in his agenda. As much as CNN gets flack now during the primaries it seemed like he was getting exclusive one-on-one interviews just about every week -- they had a huge role in him getting elected. Trump just has an extremely thin skin that can't take anything but complements.

Are you terrified? Like actually, literally terrified? I keep seeing people say everything is terrifying but then they go to sleep and wake up in the country with more freedom and justice than any time ever in human history and I laugh at their hyperbole.

Perhaps "Terrified" is a strong word, but I do feel a sense of dread with the direction western society might be heading under Trump/Bannon.

And I do agree that life is pretty great for western civilization in particular at this moment in history comparatively with any other time period. But does that mean that we can't become concerned when somebody is looking to take us back a few decades? Do we just have to accept whatever Trump and Bannon want to do because "uhh, it sucked way worse for people in the 40s, and don't even get me started on the middle ages you pitiful snowflake"

becoming concerned isn't what i've seen and heard from people. you'd think we were marching everyone but rich white men to the gas chambers. people are freaking out and it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

you'd think we were marching everyone but rich white men to the gas chambers.

What we are seeing is the starting point of policy... not the end point. If Trump and Bannon gut pretty much every dept other than defense like they are rumoured to want then, in effect, you have a 1920s laisez-faire economic policy. And we know how well that worked out; great in the short run though.

What we are seeing is the starting point of policy... not the end point. If Trump and Bannon gut pretty much every dept other than defense like they are rumoured to want then, in effect, you have a 1920s laisez-faire economic policy. And we know how well that worked out; great in the short run though.

better get out while you can then.

So a Bush appointed federal judge suspends the travel ban because it was irrational and incompetently implemented.

Trump: "The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!"

For a guy who went out of his way to talk about upholding the Constitution he seems to have no problems crumpling it up and wiping his ass with it.

Instead of undermining the independence of the Judiciary just say "we disagree because of reasons x,y,z and will appeal to the Supreme Court."

So a Bush appointed federal judge suspends the travel ban because it was irrational and incompetently implemented.

Trump: "The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!"

For a guy who went out of his way to talk about upholding the Constitution he seems to have no problems crumpling it up and wiping his ass with it.

Instead of undermining the independence of the Judiciary about a people we disagree because of reasons x,y,z and will appeal to the Supreme Court.

dr-evil-crying1.gif

That's the thing. I don't support trump and never have. But I'm also not gonna cry every five minutes when he does something. Our way of life will endure and freedom will still be around come 2020. Hell, I'm willing to bet people are better off in 2020 than they are today. Cause MURICA.

lol -- i'm just glad you survived that terrible Bowling Green terrorist attack.

#neveragain.

Yeah, Conway made a really stupid unforced error, no doubt about it.

Gotta love Chelsea Clinton

Very grateful no one seriously hurt in the Louvre attack ...or the (completely fake) Bowling Green Massacre. Please don't make up attacks.

Guess she forgot about her mom exposing her to that sniper fire in Bosnia.

You're right they are very different. One was obviously a mistake while talking about an actual event in Bowling Green, which the New York Times says:

"occurred in Bowling Green, Ky., in late May 2011.

Two Iraqi citizens, Mohanad Shareef Hammadi and Waad Ramadan Alwan, were indicted on federal terrorism charges. According to a Justice Department news release from January 2013, the two men had attempted to send weapons and money to Al Qaeda in Iraq with the aim of killing American soldiers there."

Choosing the wrong word on accident and quickly correcting it, while disappointing, is different than lying. In fact, the entire point of what she was saying, That "refugees have caused problems related to terrorism" was 100% true.

On the other hand, Clinton lied about something that didn't come close to occurring. She lied for political gain.

So agreed. Totally different.

She lied for political gain.

hahahaha that's the whole Trump / GOP political platform:

Trump during election: She's a crook, lock her up, special prosecutor, etc..

Trump after election: nah dawg, she's ok

-> either Clinton was not a crook or she is but Trump plans on being even worse and doesn't want to set a precedence.

Trump during election: Clinton is a puppet of the banks. She took money for them a speech were she said regulations of a banks needs to be just right

Trump post election: starts rolling back Dodd-Frank with the ex-CEO of Goldman Sacks standing at his shoulder as he signed the EO

-> Republican deregulation caused banks to overextend and thus precipitated the housing crash, Dems cleaned it up, and now we are going back to square one. Nice booby trap for someone in 5-10 years.

Trump during election: Obama let this countries infrastructure fail, I'm going to rebuild it

Reality post election: Republicans blocked Obama 500B infrastructure plan, what the hell are they going to do w/ Trump's 1T plan.

Trump during election: Clinton doesn't have the stamina to be President

Trump post election: Flips out on Australia during a phone call "b/c it was the fourth call of the day and he was tired"

Ditto previous about the $15-45B wall

Trump during election: Obama's always on vacation wasting taxpayers money. Us billionaires don't need them

Trump post election: Securing Trump Tower in NY is estimated at a million a day and his weekend trips to Mar-a-Lago is $3M a shot. Yup, it's cheaper to give foodstamps to all of the poor in NYC than provide SS protection to Trump and family that don't want to "slum" it in the White House. Oh what a man of the people and totally not out of touch.

Tons of other random bullshit about 9/11 being Obama's fault, Clinton creating ISIS, etc. A campaign that led to post-truth being coined Oxford Word of the Year (2016). I wonder if "alternative fact" (ie big fat lie) will be 2017?

#inbefore BG posts a picture of a coffee up with a Liberal Tears logo.