I Have Been Driving Uber/lyft For 3 Months..ask Me Anything

The wear and tear on the car is the other one. That's a bit harder to quantify.

I have a theory that a lot of drivers are not taking this into account. seen a couple of cases of it first hand.

$1500 seems like a lot, I guess driving a cab there 2 years ago would make one a millionaire.lol

I cant figure out how its worth it for the driver sometimes.

Miami area drive, 25min, 11miles, at 6pm rush hour traffic, and total cost was only $14. With taxi was $30+

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From what I understand of Uber's long term plans, privatizing public transportation.. and even private transportation, is exactly their goal. I've heard they've spent something like 2 billion dollars

Can't watch now, but If that isn't a link to a scene from Reservoir dogs I'll be dissapointed

Perhaps your wife thinks uber is something entirely different.

I think pricing will have to go up eventually. If I am not mistaken Uber's pricing is currently predatory to basically steal all business away from Cabs, but they are still losing money and cannot sustain long term with their current pricing model.

I have a theory that a lot of drivers are not taking this into account. seen a couple of cases of it first hand.

$1500 seems like a lot, I guess driving a cab there 2 years ago would make one a millionaire.lol

I cant figure out how its worth it for the driver sometimes.

Miami area drive, 25min, 11miles, at 6pm rush hour traffic, and total cost was only $14. With taxi was $30+

$1500 is not typical in most markets. And you have to work really hard to make that. That's for about 3 days of weekend driving in San Francisco. It's not something I would or could do full time.

I try and drive smarter now. I don't drive unless it's surging, and try to avoid certain areas.

Also the wait time isn't like taxis. Most markets if you are sitting in traffic it's rough .15 to .20 a min. Which is nothing

I think pricing will have to go up eventually. If I am not mistaken Uber's pricing is currently predatory to basically steal all business away from Cabs, but they are still losing money and cannot sustain long term with their current pricing model.

They are bleeding billions of cash. It's a fine line with the economics. Lot of drivers won't keep driving at the lower rates. A min ride in Fresno nets me $2.44. Which is ridiculous and won't be sustained.

and drivers are willing to go along with the predatory thinking? Are they losing money too, because I thought the real point of this was "ride sharing" and that the driver would be making money. Whats in it for the guy driving, I'm wondering?

Ive now done that drive twice from our vacation spot to the airport. One time $17, the other $14. I have never paid less than $35 with a cab. Yes, of course, from here on out, I cant imagine taking a cab. But isnt the driver losing the most here, as opposed to Uber?

I don't think you guys are aware of the guarantees and incentives.

I think this is how they are bleeding money and keeping drivers for the moment.

I usually get offers of $35-$50 an hour guarantee. Depending on time. I may net $15 that hour. But they will top it up. If it was only $15. I'm not driving. But for $35 I will.

How often is usually?

How does it work, do you get an offer to be out in a certain area at a certain time, ie downtown at 2am to drive people back home from the bars, or 8am to drive people to work?

How often is usually?

How does it work, do you get an offer to be out in a certain area at a certain time, ie downtown at 2am to drive people back home from the bars, or 8am to drive people to work?

For San Fran I get them every week. You have the basic concept. From 7-9 am they will offer $50 an hour. During the day it will be less. $35. Then the bar hours $45-$50. And yes you have to have the app on and 2 of 3 rides must originate in that area. In the SF case the general downtown area

oh ok, so you dont get it for where you live in Fresno, you get it for San Fran?

How do they know you are willing to go to San Fran, its because you have been an Uber driver there before?

oh ok, so you dont get it for where you live in Fresno, you get it for San Fran?

How do they know you are willing to go to San Fran, its because you have been an Uber driver there before?

Fresno is a totally different market. I got the offer based on my rating and status with them. Then they just continue to offer it. I'm actually in LA now. Visiting cousins. I will drive a bit here.

Well not LA as it's just stupid traffic. The OC is awesome place to drive.

My wife wants me to uber at night instead of playing pokerstars. I said no

Perhaps your wife thinks uber is something entirely different.

• Like 1

I know some people that drive because it's really fun. Haven't done any research on the Toronto scene though.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible, as a passenger, to forget to rate a driver... then it gives them a 0? Looked at my history and took an uber after a wedding in Ottawa last night and I don't remember rating and can't figure out how to do it after the fact. Says 0 stars which is not what I intended.

Is it possible, as a passenger, to forget to rate a driver... then it gives them a 0? Looked at my history and took an uber after a wedding in Ottawa last night and I don't remember rating and can't figure out how to do it after the fact. Says 0 stars which is not what I intended.

You don't have to rate a driver. I think you have 2 days to do it( might be longer).

I don't think 0 is an actual rating. 0 might be no rating. My understanding is 1 star is the worst.

I looked at my passenger rating and it's 4.95 which means somebody gave me a bad rating. Must have been the lady who took the tunnel from the airport. I gave her 5 stars but I used the app to get a partial refund for the long haul.

I looked at my passenger rating and it's 4.95 which means somebody gave me a bad rating. Must have been the lady who took the tunnel from the airport. I gave her 5 stars but I used the app to get a partial refund for the long haul.

Where do I find my passenger rating? (in the app I mean)

Im unclear about something. When you booked the Uber at LV airport, didnt it give you a set route+set cost? How do you know if someone is going on a longer route. (we know the tunnel crap, but just wondering in other cities)

options top left of the app:

-help

-account and payment

-account settings and ratings

-I'd like to know my rating

to answer your question, no, I didn't get an estimated fare up front when travelling in vegas. you can use a fare estimator online before your trip though. I knew it was supposed to be about $13, then she took the tunnel. I was immediately refunded $4 or so when I used the app to report a longer than necessary route. I didn't really care about the money, but intentionally long hauling annoys me (and the tunnel route in vegas is 100% intentional.

thanks, found it. 5 stars bitches!

I've always heard the tunnel is BS, but I was never sure if there could be a traffic related issue. Its amazing how many people tell me they were "tunneled" lol

Of the 15-20 times I've been driven in from the airport, I think I had the tunnel done to me only once. I guess been lucky?

Its pretty cool they refunded you

Turns out I typo'd my email address when I registered.

Can anyone find how to contact a human to resolve this? Can't find it. And I can't even get into my profile settings because I don't know my password and I can't reset it because my email address is wrong.

Turns out I typo'd my email address when I registered.

Can anyone find how to contact a human to resolve this? Can't find it. And I can't even get into my profile settings because I don't know my password and I can't reset it because my email address is wrong.

You can't talk to someone on the phone. It's email based support. It's not very good imo

The ratings system isn't the greatest but I guess it works. I have read in some of the LA and San Fran driver forums that some drivers don't rate 5 stars if there is no tip.

I have never done that. I will rate riders low for being late and being a dick though. Which is pretty rare.

My rating as driver is 4.87 which is pretty decent in my area. Customers give low ratings for no reason sometimes. A lot of times due to surge pricing which I have no control over.