The Whiskey Thread

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm leaving this pretty open-ended, so don't feel like it's wrong to post about random non-bourbon or rye stuff here. Below are the bottles I have accumulated, or would purchase if given the opportun

There is a very good reason that they were all unblurry. He was in them and someone else was taking them.

One of the weirder labels:     It actually tastes pretty good, and I think the 100 proof version is $12-15/750ml. It's a bottom shelf brand named after one of the founders of Brown-Forman (Jack

i just remembered this.

was shooting the shit with bartender and a feeb (at least that's what I thought he was, he would only say he worked for federal gov't and a few other hints. i suppose he could have been SS) and the barkeep was talking about how the hot thing a few years ago was getting vodka for bottle service, now bourbon and whiskey is the "in" drink. i think last year mgm put in a whiskey bar.

started watching the league and forgot where i was going with this...

The last time I got "bottle service" was at a bar in Ames a few years ago. We drank them out of Makers (like two bottles) and convinced them to run to Kum and Go and get us another bottle but I don't think they ended up charging us for that one. #AheadOfTheCurve

You are more paying for a place to sit/hangout at a busy night club. I've done bottle service a handful of times with buddies in Vegas and it's probably the only way to get me to go into a nightclub at this point in my life (I'm 31). In most clubs where they are charging $15-$20 for a drink, the bottle service doesn't end up being as much of a markup, relatively speaking. If I'm going to spend $100+ on a handful of drinks and pack myself into a busy night club, I'd rather spend $200 and split a few bottles between a group of friends and actually be able to hang out and enjoy myself.

found two bottles of Weller 12 at a random liquor store in middle of nowhere Missouri, $19 ea.

went to a nice store in Lawrence and just asked for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, the cashier checks inventory, grabs it from the back and sells it to me. I was baffled.

the place in Lawrence had a ridiculous amount of allocated stuff just sitting on the shelf at rock-bottom prices. made me a little sad that I don't live there anymore, and that I wasn't into bourbon when I did.

There is a very good reason that they were all unblurry. He was in them and someone else was taking them.

• Like 4

never had it. I have heard nothing but bad things--probably because it is priced so aggressively and typically very young. I would like to see more brands take off, but I doubt Garrison will. My guess is that Michters, Willett, High West, and Smooth Ambler will be the smaller players that outlive the craze. Maybe not all of those brands will be around, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a tasting of a few bourbons today for under $25. William Larue Weller 2015, George T Stagg 2015, Pappy 15, Van Winkle Rye.

zero burn on the pappy 15--a super nice version of Old Weller Antique. when people talk about a bourbon being 'young', you'll know it if you try OWA side by side with pappy 15.

WLW tastes nothing like what I've had from the pappy/weller line, and I can't tell if it's due to the proof, or what. it's REALLY good, but just weirded me out.

GTS '15 was great, honestly couldn't tell the difference between it and the '13 GTS. I suspect the year distinction is just bullshit.

Van Winkle Rye was very good, but in no situation would I ever pick it over pappy 15. surprisingly, it goes for $100+ more on the secondary. I don't have anything much to say about the taste, other than it seems similar to sazerac rye (baby saz).

anyway, it's nice to now be able to say I've had some more of the highly sought after bourbons. hard to imagine myself ever paying secondary prices for any of them.

Stopped in at my favourite store today to see if they had any of that crown (ha!) and picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 small batch. Honestly not too impressed - it reminds me of why inused to not like bourbon; too sweet. At least it was only $32CAD.

• Like 1

a coworker of mine has been building a monster collection over the last several months, buying anything he believed could be resold. he and I make pretty similar money, but he pays quite a bit more in rent, and has student loan debt, credit card debt, and recently, very costly car troubles. this guy spent about $900 in one trip to the Willett distillery, which is actually kind of hard to do, because they have a four bottle limit.

he's going to market now, and I think his angle is that people will pay a little more now that the prime hunting season is over. he's right, but he has been servicing what is probably $4-5k in whiskey credit card debt for a few months now. he was super loose with his buying standards, so on quite a few bottles, shipping is going to crush him. I would be surprised if he can squeeze more than $1k profit out of his inventory.

I look at this behavior, and obviously this supports what scram has been saying. I also can't help but compare what he's doing to what I did in college--focus on a hobby at the expense of something way more impactful to the bottom line.

• 2 weeks later...