The Whiskey Thread

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm leaving this pretty open-ended, so don't feel like it's wrong to post about random non-bourbon or rye stuff here. Below are the bottles I have accumulated, or would purchase if given the opportun

There is a very good reason that they were all unblurry. He was in them and someone else was taking them.

One of the weirder labels:     It actually tastes pretty good, and I think the 100 proof version is $12-15/750ml. It's a bottom shelf brand named after one of the founders of Brown-Forman (Jack

my guess is pappy 20. or eagle rare 17 maybe.

Nah. I'm a devout follower of your bourbon exploits and I would know those names instantly. Brad might be prone to hyperbole as well

weird. not usually priced so aggressively. that series is a great way to try older barrels without paying like crazy.

He may have been off on his pricing. But I can say it was the first bourbon I've had that I could drink without making that weird face when i drank some. It was solid

That just isn't my bag. I drink for a buzz, not necessarily the pure taste. I like certain things, but not more than my Coke Zero. I just want the buzz

• 1 month later...

I tried Weller 12 which was actually very good, although shamefully the only one i know from this thread. On the plus side it means I have an excuse to drink more Whiskey :icon_smile:

Finished my bottle of Blanton's gold, got another one.

Also tried: Bulleitt (sp?) pretty good. A little harsher than Blanton's

Angels envy: I liked it a lot, but I kinda get why a whiskey purist wouldn't.

Bulleit is, from what I've heard, contracted stuff from Four Roses. I do like it. I also liked the barrel strength release they did here, which I think was mostly just a test run for a national release.

I like Angel's Envy. I like Woodford Double Oaked, too. I just don't want to spend that much on routine basis.

Got a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof today for sub-$60. The clerk gave us a little shit about it, as if he wanted to save some for friends or regulars or something. If you want it to sit on the shelf, mark it up. Otherwise, be ready for people to network to figure out where stuff is available.

wTSkiFJ.jpg

The thing about ECBP is, because it's $60+, it sometimes doesn't sell in some places. Stagg Jr also tends to sit on the shelf due to being $50+.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I bought it because I like Rare Breed so much. It was $50CAD, so not outrageous but not cheap either. A bottle of non-well vodka or the like is about $35 and a nice single malt is usually about $80 for comparison sake. I think I got the RB for about $40 iirc (pretty sure I posted about it when I got it).

• 3 months later...

High West and Smooth Ambler, two of the best independent smaller players, purchased by bigger players recently. Beam discontinuing Old Granddad 114, doubling the price of Booker's from $50 to $100, cutting production and allocating it.

I am very happy to see these developments. The bubble pops as soon as mid-tier bourbon starts getting as expensive as good scotch.

• 2 months later...

Tasted the following recently:

Pappy 12 year lot b (mentioned earlier in this thread)

incredible. lived up to the hype. Smoothest Bourbon I have ever tasted. Once the ice cubes melted just slightly, it was like drinking a cocktail. No burn, incredible flavour.

Jack Daniel's Sinatra Select

It tastes like a very smooth Jack Daniels, but it still tastes like Jack Daniels. It was good, but too expensive to mix, and not as good on the rocks as much cheaper bourbons.

Johnny Walker Blue Label

Not really a scotch guy but this was very smooth. Most of the more expensive scotches I have tried have an overpowering smoke/peat flavour. Here it was much more subtle. I enjoyed it and would drink again, though I wouldn't pay for it.

Blanton's Straight from the barrel

Just tried a small sip of this with no ice. It's a bit much, and undrinkable (to me) neat. The 56.5% ABV hits you right in the face. I'm sure it's good watered down a bit.

Blanton's Single Barrel

A much more user-friendly experience. I know this is kind of the "Entry level" Blanton's, but it is delicious and very smooth. Not as complex as Blanton's gold, but I'd recommend this to anyone getting into Bourbon. the 40% ABV is a little more palatable neat or with ice.

Elmer T. Lee

Enjoyed this one too. Fairly sweet and very smooth.

Eagle Rare

Another good one. It's pretty expensive in Canada, seems like it's much cheaper in the USA. Haven't tried a bad one from Buffalo Trace yet.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot I also tried:

Midwinter night's dram (rye)

regrettably (or not), I was pretty drunk when I tasted this one so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I remember finding it a bit harsh with ice after tasting some of the bourbons mentioned above. Admittedly, my drink of choice when I'm on my own coin is normally Canadian Rye Whisky and Coke, and this Rye tasted nothing like the cheap (but delicious) ryes that I am accustomed to. I'd try it again in a different mindset.

A great lineup. I am interested to see whether the proof on something like Pappy 15 will ruin it for you. A lot of bourbon people seem to love barrel proof stuff, but I have learned that I just don't enjoy getting blasted after a few sips.

A great lineup. I am interested to see whether the proof on something like Pappy 15 will ruin it for you. A lot of bourbon people seem to love barrel proof stuff, but I have learned that I just don't enjoy getting blasted after a few sips.

What is the proof? He actually had an unopened bottle of pappy 15 there but we didn't open it. I really enjoy Blanton's gold with a few ice cubes in it and that is 52% I think.

• 9 months later...