The Whiskey Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm leaving this pretty open-ended, so don't feel like it's wrong to post about random non-bourbon or rye stuff here. Below are the bottles I have accumulated, or would purchase if given the opportun

There is a very good reason that they were all unblurry. He was in them and someone else was taking them.

One of the weirder labels:     It actually tastes pretty good, and I think the 100 proof version is $12-15/750ml. It's a bottom shelf brand named after one of the founders of Brown-Forman (Jack

Bought a bottle of wild turkey rare breed today. Tasting to commence shortly - at 111.8 proof I think I'll have to add some water but I'll try it beat first. There was also a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel but I didn't pick that one up.

Yeah I liked the Rare Breed a lot. It was fine neat and I didn't have to cut it at all, very smooth at cash strength. I got it for $40CAD so even cheaper than you say, which is astounding considering how much more expensive booze is in Canada generally.

I really don't like the EC I bought; you're not missing out on anything IMO.

I don't know why they call it cask strength. there are other brands that really are straight from the barrel, and there is always batch variation for the proof. Rare breed has been produced at 111.8 for like a year+, which tells me they are specifically aiming for that proof, which is impossible to consistently hit without adding water.

tldr there are a number of legally enforced phrases/terms, but single barrel, small batch, barrel proof, barrel number listing, etc. are not.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My brother just sent me a pic of some Bourbon he bought for us to drink when I go visit him in a couple of weeks.

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year "Lot B"

Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18 year

Any good? Do I have to man up and drink these straight or can I mix 'em?

I have had EC23, and it isn't anything to write home about. I am sure EC18 is good, but the bourbon nerds say that 12-15 years is about the sweet spot for bourbon aged in Kentucky/Indiana, since the seasons here are harsher than in Scotland. any longer than that in the barrel, and you start to get this strong oaky taste. EC12 is a little bit on the oaky side, even. so I wouldn't blame you for mixing EC18.

Lot B is a phenomenal bourbon, all around. No alcohol burn whatsoever. I would not mix it with anything but water / ice. Spend some time just smelling your pour--it's ridiculous.

I don't know your brother, but some bourbon people react very negatively to any mixing at all. Just as a reference point, the bottles are worth about $400 apiece on the secondary market. I know it's not overly relevant, etc.

Just as a reference point, the bottles are worth about $400 apiece on the secondary market. I know it's not overly relevant, etc.

Wait. What? What exactly is worth 400?

Can I just buy these in the store and then resell them? That seems like easy money.

and that is the reason for the culture of lines and crazy hunting strategies. I only have a few bottles like those, and although they are extremely good, I don't think it's worth the effort to find more, because you can find stuff 80-90% as good for $50 and far less effort.

on the bourbon black market, the two bottles he was pondering mixing with God knows what, would fetch maybe $350-400 each.

I prefer when you refer to it as the brown market

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

one of the odd export-only releases from buffalo trace--deliberately not released here because people were just shipping it overseas for the better pricing. people gush about blaton's gold edition and blanton's straight from the barrel. let me know how it is!

also, I am waiting to hear your take on the other two bottles you mentioned.

I'm going to drink Old Weller Antique with my Game of Thrones tonight.

Haven't tried the others yet.

I'm a

Complete rookie but this Blanton's is incredible. No burn, unbelievably smooth at 51.5%. Had a double shot with 3 ice cubes and it was great.

• 1 month later...

looking for updates from dubey!

saw some of the mid-tier allocated stuff (Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Elmer T Lee, etc) on the shelf at a store I shop at occasionally. it was all priced in line with what you'd pay to get it shipped from someone on the secondary market. I am seeing this more and more, and I love it, because it's a sign that the craze is starting to mature.

I had an ounce or two of some bourbon brad opened last week when I was at his house. He said the bottle retails for $90. It was suuuuper smooth. Even I was impressed and could drink it without Coke zero

looking for updates from dubey!

saw some of the mid-tier allocated stuff (Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Elmer T Lee, etc) on the shelf at a store I shop at occasionally. it was all priced in line with what you'd pay to get it shipped from someone on the secondary market. I am seeing this more and more, and I love it, because it's a sign that the craze is starting to mature.

My drinking of the other bottles I posted about will be delayed till October.

My Bottle of Blanton's gold is about 3/4 gone though (don't worry I haven't mixed it with anything other than ice)

I feel like you're missing a key piece of info

Don't you know how to tell a story? First rule is to build anticipation.

Or, he's in Alaska right now and I didn't want to bother him. I'll find out. He said it goes for $40 an ounce at the local bourbon type bar