Us Politics For Betting (Not Talking About Politics)

Bob, I don't think we can marginalize the fact that Trump is an angry, hateful, racist bully. He may be a populist, and his policies may be a lot closer to center than most other R candidates, but that first part is really important for somebody who could eventually be one of the most powerful single people in the entire world.

forget policies. Is it healthy for America to be the most hated country in the world by a factor much greater than it already is? Trump basically embodies the negative stereotype about Americans that already exists in the world. Propoganda machines wouldn't even need to heavily edit anything, they could just show videos of Trump speaking and it is going to effectively spread hate for America.

In no way shape or form do I think that Trump is qualified or suitable to be President. That doesn't mean that I dismiss the fact that he is capable of winning.

He's a vile, racist, narcissist, lying, bully, egomaniac

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was going to let this slide, but I just watched the video in question again and I just can't.   You watched a black man almost moved to tears as he passionately talked about an election and a coun

Most of you know that I am a fiscal conservative. If you didn't, you know now. I didn't vote for Trump and Im pretty sure I wouldn't have voted for Bernie Sanders. Would have looked for a 3rd candidat

My aunt used to foster parent children. I don't know how many she had, but I'd guess a few.   The last one she had she ended up adopting and now she's my cousin and she's awesome. She's early in he

I agree with Bob and Wayne on Trump being the moderate populist. Trump is an absolute master as a populist, manipulating the media and the public. We have to remember that even when we are talking about ‘moderates’ here, we aren’t talking about sane people, we’re talking about American Republicans. We’re talking about people whom 66% would support a ban on any Muslims entering the country and who think building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico will help them get jobs, instead of severely worsening the economy. We’re talking about people who are so dogmatic in their beliefs that they’re rallying behind a guy promising jobs while decrying the President who has unemployment at all-time lows.

If you gave him 10% less ego and an actual desire to be president, such that he’d have some people on his team to come up with something resembling real policies, he’d be a shoo-in. Most importantly though, all the polling suggests that when Bush/Kasich/Rubio drop out, the votes may or may not go to each other, but they are just as likely to go to Trump. Cruz is the extreme candidate, not Trump. People who identify as ‘moderates’ strongly favour Trump, because a gain, we’re not talking about moderate people here, we’re talking about self-identified moderate American Republicans.

At the beginning of this election cycle, it was commonly assumed all the anti-Trump people would group together, and so Trump couldn’t win. It’s looking more and more like the anti-Cruz people will group together, and they may well come together under Trump. They’ll be a portion of actually sane, reasonable conservative people who would vote for Kasich, Rubio, Bush but couldn’t vote for Trump or Cruz, but that is a small number. Unless one of those three get some real momentum, or one of Cruz and Trump really blow the other one out of the water, Trump is looking more likely IMO. And of course, even those ‘sane’ Republicans would unquestionably vote Trump if it came down to him vs Sanders in the general election.

As an aside, as the Vox article implies, the Make America Great slogan was catchy at the beginning, but is quickly approaching the scary stage, as his candidacy becomes increasingly realistic, and as he continues to imply that he thinks everything has a zero-sum approach. So “Make America Great” can equally mean “Let’s make other places worse” as he is going to “win” trade agreements and force operating decisions on private corporations. He is somehow a Republican running on the principle of significantly growing the government’s influence. He seems to think selling more to other countries then they sell to you means you’re “winning” where Econ 102 tells us that your citizens are most likely better off being net purchasers. He seems to think that forcing Apple to manufacture in the United States, require the pipeline to pay him (the government?) a percentage, and force Mexico to build an $8B wall will somehow generate more jobs for Americans, since government-led and protectionist high-cost production will somehow improve the overall economy. In reality, the only logical conclusion of Trump’s policies is war. A lot of it. Which wouldn’t really displease his supporters, since that’s what the whole Make America Great Again harkens back to. Now, I’m not arguing that Trump actually supports war and death and blah. He’s never been one to hide what he thinks, so I think if that was actually his platform, he’d come right out and say it. My point is that whatever vague policies he espouses have no actual potential long-term gains unless they come with a big ‘ole war to go with it. And of course, President Trump doesn’t seem the type to shy away from confrontation…

Dubey, don’t forget that as a basic assumption, a certain (large) set of Republicans seem to think that being hated by most of the world, has a) nothing to do with their own behavior (they’re jealous!) ,b) is irrelevant to economic growth and c) the appropriate response is more use of military force, not less.

Where most of the world sees an angry, hateful, racist bully, many Americans see a strong leader who will say all the things they think too and others are too PC to say. Despite being provably wrong by any reasonable person or basic understanding of numbers, every poll suggests that the majority of Republican voters genuinely believe that Mexicans are stealing jobs, brown people are terrorists, etc.

Serge:

Lol I have to write in another document and paste it in. sorry! But I don’t suggest you reading my posts anyway, they’re pretty much all rants for like-minded people and contain basically no reasonable, thoughtful arguments that might actually sway someone who disagrees : )

I also can't "quote" posts...

Serge:

Lol I have to write in another document and paste it in. sorry! But I don’t suggest you reading my posts anyway, they’re pretty much all rants for like-minded people and contain basically no reasonable, thoughtful arguments that might actually sway someone who disagrees : )

I also can't "quote" posts...

I definetely dont agree with your posts..but doesnt mean you dont have a right to your opinion

The font though is annoying

Danny, try alt-tabbing to another program and back before your start typing, or any time you have a paragraph break.

I' gong type the samesentence twce, after starin a nepargrph. ti wht hppenswn d't alt-tabfirst.

I'm going to type the same sentence twice, after starting a new paragraph, this is (the above) what happens if I don't alt-tab first.

I'm assuming we are on the same version of IE/java/whatever that isn't very compatible with the software this board uses.

I also can't quote.

Yeah Zach, work computer, no choice, etc. Dubes - thanks for the tip, it works!

Ah, I know that issue.

Why are IT departments always insist on IE?

First thing I did here is download Chrome. Not sure how I was able to install it without an admin password though. Magic maybe.

Why are IT departments always insist on IE?

Due to compatibility with enterprise crapware applications. Most have a history of needing the non-internet standard controls like ActiveX, Silverlight etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this article. It's full of bias of course, but that's not really the point. I find it interesting how much attention Sanders' 'radical' policies have gotten, when literally every Republican candidate is pushing policies that are significantly more radical. Note of course that "radical" doesn't mean good or bad. Maybe we should return to the gold standard! Maybe we should have a flat tax! That isn't the argument. The point is that Clinton's position is mainly status quo (maybe that's a bad idea, but it certainly isn't radical). Sanders is not nearly as different as it is being perceived, and while his policies are on the radical side for the US, they aren't significantly different than what is in place in many other first-world countries. Basically every Republican's policy is something that is untried in any modern first-world economy. When it comes to the general election, and people really start comparing the proposals of the Democrat against the Republican, it'll become a lot more plain who is the extremist (which, again, might be a good thing, I'm not arguing either way!)

http://gawker.com/there-are-more-radicals-here-thank-you-think-1759850988

This thread is about betting on US Politics. Not talking about which politics are good and which are bad.

Bet365 has odds for the democrat and republic nomination.

I think Hillary is a lock for the democrats, the odds agree as she is 1.30 to 1.

I want to bet on the Republican Prez Nominee so I have a reason to watch american news, lol. After watching Veep and Scandal, I am so intrigued by american primaries.

The odds

Jeb Bush 3.25

Marco Rubio 4.5

Scott Walker 5

Rand Paul 8

Chris Christie 8

Ted Cruz 13

Mike Huckabee 18

Rick Perry 19

Not listing the rest bc I think they have no chance.

I am thinking about putting my money on Marco Rubio. I think he should be the favourite over Jeb Bush.

Especially if Hillary gets the nomination, I think the Republicans best counter would be a young, fast-tracking, cuban boy!

I know nothing about US Politics, but just from a pure aesthetic view, I think this Rubio kid (he's 44), would be their best counter to Hillary. He isn't an old white guy. He's an ethnic young guy.

Any thoughts? Or am I just a degen?

Amazing that the current frontrunner wasnt even on the board when this post was made...He declared shortly after

I guess we now know who Trump's running mate is going to be

Who? I've heard that Cruz was now the likely guy, but also heard 'never gonna be cruz', it's going to be Rubio. Or Palin. Or one of his kids.... LOL

I guess we now know who Trump's running mate is going to be

I think we know who wants to be Trump's running mate.

Christie's naked ambition is impressive.

I really hope I didn't put an image of a naked Christie in your head.

I think we know who wants to be Trump's running mate.

Christie's naked ambition is impressive.

I really hope I didn't put an image of a naked Christie in your head.

oh, i must have missed something after Christie put his backing on Trump.