• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not going to go out of my way to criticize people for not liking Birdman because it sounds like a ton of people didn't like Birdman, but at the same time I do think of people who didn't like Birdm

Hi.

I joined this poker forum so I wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of women.

I thought I was being too generous to Interstellar with that estimate.

• 2 months later...

So I saw Birdman awhile ago.

Yeah. Wow.

I watched the Oscars so I knew a little about the movie but didn't know too much, and had managed not to hear that it's a motherfucking ONE HUNDRED MINUTE LONG SHOT WITH NO CUTS or whatever the length was until it finally cuts. That was honestly what blew me away the most. Hitchcock's Rope was a movie I saw as a kid and was probably the first time I thought about cuts and how movies are put together. He had to cut every ten minutes or so cuz that was as much film as a camera could hold, but they're nearly all hidden cuts. They're pretty obvious when you're looking for them but it's still great.

The shooting in Birdman blew my mind. I'm sure there's behind the scenes documentary features and detailed explanations/good guesses at where all the hidden cuts are but I haven't looked any of that up. There were a small handful of obvious hidden cuts, like when they enter and leave the bar, when they go up to the roof -- basically I can think of maybe 4 times the screen goes black for a quarter-second because the characters are in darkness -- but most of them had to be digital and I really couldn't tell whether a shot was actually a 20-minute shot or if there had been 2 or 3 or 10 digital cuts in there when the camera did a quick pan or whatever. There were definitely some long-ass shots though.

I feel like the opening shot of the film was legit, no cuts, for 15 minutes or longer until Keaton brain-slams a vase into the wall and the camera does a really quick pan and it seemed a relatively easy spot for a digital-stitch. But it didn't look like it cut, I just thought 'oh they could sneak a cut here', and I have no idea if they did. And all the floating and flying shit was brilliantly done, and there were a couple things that were so good they were funny. Like when the cameraman passes behind Keaton as he's sitting in front of a big mirror (this happens multiple times) and you can see the full reflection and everything but the camera and cameraman are invisible.

I wasn't expecting the long shot(s) so I didn't pick up on it at first, that it was seriously all one shot and not just some very long shots. And I kept waiting for it. Like they can't go an hour without a cut, this is ridiculous.

And the Raymond Carver production could have been over-the-top terrible but instead it was perfect. Like his play was soooooooooooo bad and misguided but it was very believably bad, which made it hilarious.

• Like 1

God, I wish I'd not known that about Birdman. The Cutless nature of it, was the only thing I knew about it ( and made me want to see it). It's just spectacular, Isn't it? It doesn't seem gimmicky at all, but adds to the frantic tension and insanity of the movie

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

God, I wish I'd not known that about Birdman. The Cutless nature of it, was the only thing I knew about it ( and made me want to see it). It's just spectacular, Isn't it? It doesn't seem gimmicky at all, but adds to the frantic tension and insanity of the movie

I thought it took away from the movie. It was distracting how hard they tried to be so cool.

It was at no point distracting, it was spectacular and it added to the tension and emotional depth of the movie. I swear to god if you move these hot takes from sports, to cinema, you'll be dead to me.

#Tanner2.0

I said I loved Birdman, moron. My movie opinions are impeccable. Deal with it.

You 2 should **** off and just text each other all day. Nobody outside of you 2 care about the bs you both post

Oh mygerd I'm so mean

Haha I don't even remember posting that

(Edit) 1:09am... that explains it

if you black out drunk post, that would explain a lot, and make me re-evaluate your status as a terrible poster, given the extenuating circumstances.

tony's are for gays. oscars are for closeted gays.

What are you talking about, the Oscars are the gay superbowl.

I wasn't blackout drunk. Just drunk and forgot posting it, I remember posting it once I saw it and I'm fine with what I said. Even though it's a dopey post I could care less because you two really are losers who pretty much just like each other's posts all day in a forum where nobody is really hanging out 24/7 except you two. I don't give a shit what either of you think

As someone who gets black out drunk and posts here, and then can't even admit that they were black out drunk, I'd be real careful about throwing the "loser" stone around, if I were you.

• Like 1