• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not going to go out of my way to criticize people for not liking Birdman because it sounds like a ton of people didn't like Birdman, but at the same time I do think of people who didn't like Birdm

Hi.

I joined this poker forum so I wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of women.

A gay host, a charismatic Mexican powerhouse, and Patty A doing my feminist heart proud.

Then your feminism is not intersectional, as Patty A notably left how how much more disadvantaged black and latino women are even than WW. Erasure is real, Frau.

Then your feminism is not intersectional, as Patty A notably left how how much more disadvantaged black and latino women are even than WW. Erasure is real, Frau.

Bet you thought I was joking about following Black Feminist Twitter. I was serious as a heart attack. #MyTwitterisIntersectional

Oh no, I've always believed you read about women.

call me a white republican, but does everything have to be about making a statement? although sean penn's green card joke did make me chuckle.

The joke didn't make me laugh, the power play with the hesitation and pause, and the ego referencing his own acceptance speech--that was comedy!

• Like 2

Oscar Thoughts:

1) I'm pretty skeptical of award shows in general, and the oscars in particular, and yet I still kinda care that movies I like win best picture. It's more, so I don't get annoyed. I liked Birdman so much, that I'm paradoxically both glad it won, questioning perhaps it's not as good as I think, since it won. Oscar winning movies are typically so safe, and sort of good but not great quality, that I'm really shocked this movie won, given how good I think it is. My only theory is, you really can't under-estimate hollywood's narcissism. Hollywood seldom misses a chance to self congratulate, and Birdman is about the industry, after al. It's right in the Academy's wheel house. And it's so much more. But Hollywood seldom awards so much more. Birdman ain't Argo, tho, so I'm happy.

2) The scripted parts of show were, by and large, really awful. I kinda like NPH trolling the audience with his magic trick, I just wish the punchline wasn't written by Jimmy Kimmel's writing staff, or who ever had to fire off those jokes in the writing room. Over all, NPH didn't get over. The start of the show was really, really bad. The producer in the truck made all kinds of terrible edits and cuts early on. Like, when NPH and Jack Black were singing and dialoging, they were always cutting too late, they'd show NPH when Black was talking and vice versa. The cuts were uneven. I dunno, I basically feel, if I can notice the editing at all in the award show, someone was ****ing up. It was weird. Jack black killed it, oddly enough. I forget he has that gear, I wish he had more chance to use it funnily. Also, Bernie is great, if you haven't seen it. I'm still holding out hope, Jables.

3) The Travolta thing was clever in thought, and terrible in execution (other than the unintentional comedy, which was huge). This can be attributed to the fact, Travolta is either insane, heavily medicated, or both.

4) Lupida looked amazing. I was picking up my tea dish, to go make another cup of tea, and when she walked out, I froze infront of the television, mesmerized by her.

5) How about that Lady Gaga, huh? I hope the Gaga proves she's a legitimate singer tour ends soon and she goes back to outlandish antics and art pretensions soon, because this Sound of Music, Tony Bennett standards shit ain't my bag. Though, if she goes the other way and starts trying opera or some shit, that could be funny too. I feel like she's positioning her self into a Bette Midler career arc, which I can't hate, but it would be disappointing.

6) The best part of the actual awards, is that Inarritu can make what ever the **** he wants to make now, and that really excites me. I can't wait to see his next movie. He's joined the ranks of director's who's next movie I'll see, no questions asked ( and infact, all other information avoided).

7) Terrance Howard... um.. what the **** was that?

8) The speeches and presentations were more entertaining than the bits, which usually isn't a good thing at award shows. The problem with that, is you never know when one's going to be entertaining. You don't know how many of these mid card award speeches you have to sit through, before you'll find something moving or funny or weird. But there was more moving, funny and or weird this year, than usual, so I'm thankful for that.

1. Innaritu's next movie is a "western thriller" starring Leonardo Dicaprio called The Revenant. boners all around.

2. Common's speech was pretty awesome.

3. Stay weird guy's speech was pretty awesome.

4. Glad Birdman won all the big awards but kinda bummed at the same time that Boyhood was shut out.

5. How was Birdman not nominated for best editing? That may have been the most cleverly edited movie in the history of movies.

6. Also, was I misunderstanding Innaritu, or did he say "Smells like Balls" (referring to Michael Keaton's underpants) and "That little prick, ego" in his best picture speech?

Oscar Thoughts:

6) The best part of the actual awards, is that Inarritu can make what ever the **** he wants to make now, and that really excites me. I can't wait to see his next movie. He's joined the ranks of director's who's next movie I'll see, no questions asked ( and infact, all other information avoided).

1. Innaritu's next movie is a "western thriller" starring Leonardo Dicaprio called The Revenant. boners all around.

• Like 1

I really feel brv is dropping the ball by not live updating the OP with the names of the actual winner.

That was my bad. I apologize.

yeah, just watched birdman and that is not an oscar winning movie. cool you filmed a movie about a play, like a play in one long take, way to go. interstellar shits all over this movie for scope, cinematography, plot, acting, tension, excitement, action - anything i can think of. keaton shouldn't even have been nominated. galifinakis sucked. emma stome was meh. ed norton was good though. movie was boring as hell. wasn't funny, wasn't dramatic, wasn't anything. holy shit i thought it sucked.

hot takes started flying there.

i mean it though, i don't think the movie was that good. cool idea i guess, but i wasn't entertained. nor was i blown away by the dialogue - it wasn't profound, it wasn't funny, it just was there. doing it all in one shot is cool, but if you're going to do that your writing needs to be freaking amazing and it wasn't.

this is acting. this is a scene from a truly great movie. but did the oscars reward either, no they did not. julia roberts in erin brokovich? FVCK OFF OSCARS.

I'm not going to go out of my way to criticize people for not liking Birdman because it sounds like a ton of people didn't like Birdman, but at the same time I do think of people who didn't like Birdman as pretty low class, unintelligent people. No offense!

• Like 4

The Tree of Life is 1000x better than Interstellar.