2014 Free Agent Frenzy..trades, Signings , Buyouts

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please god, if I get nothing else this year, let the announcement come down soon that the Leafs sign Vanek, and Minn was the other team.   Please, one time!!!!!!

Colorado (PATRICK ROY) does not like Parenteau, thinks he's awful in his own zone. Been trying to get rid of him for some time.

Ya, I know that much, thanks Pierre McGuire.   Obv!

I guess we know what superstars will be going for now

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle · 45m

Toews and Kane both get eight-year contract extensions for big money ($10.5-million cap hit). One's 26 and other's 25 so good years left.

Dynasty potential or top heavy albatrosses of contracts?

It's a contract they have to sign but means they will have to move out 1 or 2 players and replace with cheaper , younger players.

They have done it before with success so shouldn't be an issue.

Sure it's dangerous as the back 2-3 years can be ugly but you have to pay top money to 2 of the true stars of the game.

Next year though the Hawks are already at almost $66 million with only $3 million in cap room. With only 3 dman signed.

Leaves less flexibility for sure but they have to sign them.

Blackhawks - Top-heavy forwards, don't care about d-men, no-name goalies. Stanley cup champs. Looks like Bowman has been following the Biatch strategy, with similar success.

Have you looked at their defense ? They have one of the best in the NHL

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype · 20h

Asked what he planned to do after his new contract, Toews said "I'm gonna party like it's 1999!" He was 11 then, and had cookies and milk.

Have you looked at their defense ? They have one of the best in the NHL

lol i know i know, just saying because they only had 3 long-term. Biatch always had Doughty and Karlsson or whatever, then no depth. Obviously, that strategy works a wee bit differently in the FCHL and NHL.

... that works probably in any league, real or fantasy, if you have Doughty and Karlsson...

I'd actually kind of like to see that. A team with Doughty/Karlsson and then, like, 4 Andrew MacDonalds. How would they do?

The signings don't kick in until the cap goes up thanks to the Sportsnet deal. Cap will go up, Hawks will have two of the best players in the NHL for a decade, it's a great moment for Chicago. I'd kill to have these two locked up like this for years.

Sobotka leaving for the KHL. Interesting, different from what you usually see, didn't expect it with him.

The signings don't kick in until the cap goes up thanks to the Sportsnet deal. Cap will go up, Hawks will have two of the best players in the NHL for a decade, it's a great moment for Chicago. I'd kill to have these two locked up like this for years.

Sobotka leaving for the KHL. Interesting, different from what you usually see, didn't expect it with him.

the cap is up this year to $69 million, I am not sure we are guaranteed for it to go up again..The total cap raise the two are getting is about $8.5 million ...To put it in perspective, the Hawks are giving a raise the equivalent of Sidney Crosby's contract..

I think its a no brainer that they had to sign them to max contracts..Locking them up for life is a huge win for the Hawks..However, the bottom end and the other roster spots HAVE to get affected..I think we saw this with the Penguins this year...The Hawks have been extremely smart in moving higher priced pieces and just replacing them...Byfuglien, Versteeg, Bolland(off the top of my head)..

They have to get creative and I am sure they will..

I think if the cap goes up any more, lot of teams will be in bad shape financially..Not that I care..

Also players like Grabovski will continue to be overpaid as bottom teams have to overspend to get to the cap floor..

You've been saying that since the cap was invented. It's almost doubled and it hasn't been the disaster you always assume it will be.

It depends where the extra league revenue comes from.

If it comes from larger national TV contracts than the small revenue teams can afford to pay the salary floor. If it comes because the Leafs sign a huge new local tv deal than that wil hurt the other teams in the league.

It depends where the extra league revenue comes from.

If it comes from larger national TV contracts than the small revenue teams can afford to pay the salary floor. If it comes because the Leafs sign a huge new local tv deal than that wil hurt the other teams in the league.

Obviously thats true, BUT...

1) a lot of revenue will come from national rights. Watch for the next US deal.

2) revenue sharing

You've been saying that since the cap was invented. It's almost doubled and it hasn't been the disaster you always assume it will be.

If you believe that you don't get the economics of the NHL. The higher the cap less likely for a team like Ottawa is to compete They just can't and won't spend to the cap.

Some teams will struggle just at the floor. It's happening now

l actually think it is pretty much guaranteed that it will. :)

I don't mind. The higher the cap the better for my team.

• Like 1