Daniel's Poker Blog June 13, 2014 Mike Matusow Deserves An Apology Big Time

Staff should always seek to have as little impact on the course of the game as is possible.

However, one shouldn't be quite so selective about who one defends. "Everyone likes Mikey" or "Mike was just being Mike" shouldn't be a defense or an acceptable reason for a pass, Hevad Khan was just being Hevad Khan.

• Like 1

Staff should always seek to have as little impact on the course of the game as is possible.

However, one shouldn't be quite so selective about who one defends. "Everyone likes Mikey" or "Mike was just being Mike" shouldn't be a defense or an acceptable reason for a pass, Hevad Khan was just being Hevad Khan.

There for sure should be a balance but it seems in this case Mikey didn't cross any line that should be there.

Pretty sure the reference to Nazis and how they treated this Jewish men is a little over excessive. I'm afraid Daniel will need a one round penalty from writing blogs

• Like 2

From WSOP Tourney Director Ty Stewart

Ty Stewart @wsopSUITd · 15h

Poker needs to be fun. There will be no mall cops on the WSOP staff and the words excessive celebration should never be spoken by a TD.

Ty Stewart ‏@wsopSUITd · 14h

Our job to run a fair game and create positive experience for all customers, period. Not make people act how we think they should.

Ty Stewart ‏@wsopSUITd · 14h

Don't want 2 judge what I didn't see but want every player 2 know all WSOP staff will have reinforced we are in customer service business.

I am all for a TD offering a warning to a player, and if that stops offensive behavior, then so bit it. Mission accomplished. On the other hand, Mike Matusow, of all people, should know whats acceptable, and whats not. As much as Poker should remain fun, some behavior at the table should simply not be tolerated......because it's only "fun" for the offending player and a few trolls on the internet.

More often than not, I see TD's choose to not get involved in situations, especially ones that involve well known or "popular" players, who they allow to ruin other peoples enjoyment of the game. I would error on the side of the TD in this case.

On the other hand, Mike Matusow, of all people, should know whats acceptable, and whats not.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Mike has no clue what is or isn't acceptable. I'm not saying the rules shouldn't be applied to people with mental handicaps, but if you look at Mikey's life -- from blowing roll after roller and tournament lead after lead, to prison to FTP to Blind Date with Kathy Griffin -- it's pretty evident that there is something wrong with him that keeps him from recognizing antisocial behavior. I think we only have his extremely patient, rich parents to thank for the fact that taunting people about their play and yelling about kiddie games are as far as he's been going lately.

Its a shame mike can't clean up his act like his brother Scott did. Scott was once a hardcore addict, but now has cleaed himself up and runs a successful stock advisory company, stockmatusow.com . I'm proud of Scotty.

• Like 2

I believe you meant "Emplode"

As in the following MtM Tweet:

"I tryed to comprise myself and me being so emotional of a person I was not able to and I emploded this was worst ruling in poker history"

May or may not be the worst ruling in poker history, but that has to be one of the worst tweets in poker history.

For guys like Mike it always seems to be someone else's fault when your actions have consequences.

Have to agree with pretty much everything Daniel said. Common sense should always be high on the check list for TDs. If guys are angle shooting or genuinely acting out of order, it becomes apparent fairly easily.

Specifically in Matusow's case, I wasn't there so can't say for certain, but celebrating without berating someone, no matter how excessive the celebration, surely deserves a warning before a penalty.