Fcp To Be Sold For $170Mil Prior To Uigea

Really interesting and in depth article here: http://igaming.org/poker/interview/the-daniel-negreanu-story-playing-with-chip-reese-hsp-and-a-170mm-deal-that-never-happened/

Highlights included a deal agreeing to sell FCP (back when it was a poker client also) for $170mm. Then UIGEA happened and the deal was taken off the table.

FCP was probably the first site I did anything that would resemble 'grinding' so seeing the interface again was a bit nostalgic. I remember building up from the $10 SNGs to the $30 and $50 SNGs (20 buy-in bankrolls ftw) and it was the first site I consistently played Omaha on. I also got my first 4-figure score on the site.

Ooops, just saw interview linked in the pinned thread. Mods feel free to delete.

no reason to not have this as a separate thread

fullcontactpokerlobby.jpg

170mm seems really high. Was there a ton of traffic?

Yeah, I kind of would like a confirmation (I assume Bob could and might) that this figure is at least the correct order of magnitude. On one hand it seems completely made up, but on the other hand people were all going psycho for a couple of years there.

Yeah, I kind of would like a confirmation (I assume Bob could and might) that this figure is at least the correct order of magnitude. On one hand it seems completely made up, but on the other hand people were all going psycho for a couple of years there.

As you said there were some really high valuations on poker and gaming sites in 2006 before the UIGEA passed. A lot of companies that bought in that period ended up losing a lot of money on the deals and FCP went from nothing to a pretty large skin in very little time.

To give you an idea the On Game Network had their big $5,000 buyin online tourney with a live final table in that time period and FCP had the 2nd most qualifiers behind Poker Room which was the original site of the network. We actually had more qualifiers than BWIN did. The UIGEA was a disaster since On Game decided to no longer allow Americans on the Network and we ended up having to move.

I would be curious to the details of that deal, like how long of a contract Daniel would have had to sign to stay the face of the skin. Also the deal he got from stars could not have been for but a fraction of the quoted amount.

yeah I was thinking the same but then thought, as you said, with how insane everything and everyone was back then who knows, 170mil might have seemed like bargain at the time. FTP were able to shell out tens of millions every year to 'pros' whilst everyone remained none the wiser so I guess the whole online poker thing was just one big massive, ginormous gravy train.

I miss lobby chat. The neg-o was never the same without it.

that was the best part of the On Game software. The lobby chat was great

If FCP was worth $170million, how much would be Pokerstars be worth?

eleventy bazillion dollars

Tbf, there was a much bigger split in the market back then. PartyPoker was market leader, with both PokerStars and FullTilt holding similar shares of the market in 2nd/3rd (IIRC). Obviously post UIGEA everything, esp PartyPoker's landscape, changed. $170mil sounded absurd when I first heard, but I guess I can see how it's possible people felt FCP was worth that much.