Speeding Ticket Math Problem

I need some help trying to figure out a speed/distance word problem. I tried looking up various keywords to get this myself , I was never good at algebra. I have been issued a speeding ticket where the state patrolman said I was going 89mph in a 70mph zone. He was using rear detection and was approx. 700 feet in front of me traveling in the same lane. He was far enough in front of me that you couldn't really tell it was a cop. So basically I need to know either the answer or the equation that gets me my answer to how quick I would of caught up to him doing the speed he cited me doing. That is assuming he is doing 70 and me doing 89. I did get a look at his radar and the digital display showed two numbers , one was 85 and one was 56. I questioned him stating 89 and radar showing 85. He said that's what he locked me in at , but ticket was still 89. I am going to fight this and just want to know if knowing this information will be useful. My recollection of the event has me doing 74 to 76 , with his car being the 700 feet in front of me , and me neither gaining on his vehicle or him pulling away. On a side note , I seen a car pull to the shoulder so then I went to the left lane. Once I got closer I seen that he was Highway Patrol and thought - I wonder what he is doing. He pulled in behind me and started his lights , before I could even kick my signal to pull over ( 5 seconds) he turns his lights off. We ride that way for about a mile and then lights me back up. Once he gets to my car , the first question out of his mouth is - why didn't I pull over when he lit me up the first time. , not that it is important to the question , it just seemed weird.

19 MPH difference = 27.87 feet per second. You would have covered the 700 feet distance in about 25 seconds. I can't see how this information will really help your case though.

The math doesn't work out in your favor in the court if you can't provide proof of the entire equation. Since you have no evidence of either the distance, or the time it took you to catch up to him; I'm afraid you're SOL.

If you tried to fight the ticket, it would ultimately boil down to his word/radar results vs. your word. We all know how those usually end up.

• Like 1

make sure to bring a bloody glove that does not fit your hand when you go to court. i can't stress enough that the glove should not fit onto your hand. that is crucial to winning the case and was one of the first things they taught us in law school.

• 2 months later...