• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nailed it

ah the "feminine mystique" defense. classic SA.

i don't care how inattentive your father is, an 8 year old girl doesn't arrange her dolls in a gang bang unless she's seen that somewhere. quit lying bro.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this show is fucking amazing. I'm not really sure how I missed the fact that there was a new HBO show starring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, playing detectives investigating a deranged killer, but somehow I did (miss it). It might have something to do with the very boring title of the show - it sounds like some dull new TNT procedural starring, let's say, Jimmy Smits, but holy hell is it good.

Woody is very good, but his character isn't terribly interesting. Kind of your basic hard-working, hard-boiled, hard-drinking detective. But McConaughey, goddam. His character is so goddam interesting and he plays it so goddam well. Somebody earlier in this thread recommended the film Killer Joe, and I second that.

Also, bonus Brother Mouzone, although his character isn't very interesting yet.

Really the only criticism I have, and it's a tiny one, is the Lester Freamon cameo in episode 1. Don't get me wrong I love me some Lester Freamon, but it was odd seeing him in such an apparently tiny role, and it leaves me expecting him to reappear. If he doesn't reappear that's fine too, but I didn't like that the producers put in my head that this seemingly unimportant character will potentially become important later, simply due to their casting choice. Breaks the fourth wall a little.

i watched it. it was good. probably a show that will take all 8 episodes to be truly great.

Only took 4.

That scene was incredible. 6 minutes, there must have been 100 extras involved. I rewound it and watched it again as soon as the episode was over.

Same. From the point where shit went bad and they left the house I realized it hadn't cut since they'd entered the house, and my jaw dropped further and further as it kept going and going, through various houses and yards and shootouts and everything else.

It's pretty easily the best tracking shot I've ever seen on a tv show. Just absolutely stunning. I wonder how many takes it took them, although I'd be a little surprised if it was more than one. I imagine they spent days planning and practicing it.

There is something about a great tracking shot, that just brings a movie ( and this case, a TV show) to the next level for me. I think Children of Men, for example, is a good but unspectacular sci fi movie without the tracking shots, but with them, they are two of the most memorable scenes I've seen on film. It just turns up the drama and suspense so much. I know they ahve to be hard to pull off, but they are so, so worth it.

There is something about a great tracking shot, that just brings a movie ( and this case, a TV show) to the next level for me. I think Children of Men, for example, is a good but unspectacular sci fi movie without the tracking shots, but with them, they are two of the most memorable scenes I've seen on film. It just turns up the drama and suspense so much. I know they ahve to be hard to pull off, but they are so, so worth it.

an interesting thing that I read about True Detective. It's the same Director for all the episodes so that gives him a lot more freedom since he doesn't have to worry about fitting in with what other Directors have done before or will be doing in the future. Somebody directing an episode of Breaking Bad or Sopranos couldn't put "their" stamp on things since they have to fit with the rest of the series.

To me True Detective is more like an 8 hour movie and not an episodic TV show.

The car scene in Children of Men (a 4-minute shot) took them 12 days. And it's one of the standout shots in cinema history. I'm still not totally sure how they even did it (I read that there was some sort of driving rig attached on the roof which they were able to quickly remove near the end of the shot, but I'm not really sure how the camera worked - also something to do with the roof rig though).

http://io9.com/this-...ly-an-840211730

Note: inaccurate headline in that article. Only about 2 seconds of the shot was accidental.

• Like 1

Its going up agaisnt breaking bads finak season. Not sure how i feel about this.

i would giggle with delight if TD scoops BB in any and all categories. The split season just to qualify for 2 awards seasons is pure bullshit and I hope they get punished for it.

Do any of the other old folks on here remember the True Detective magazines?

truedetective271frazier.jpg

• Like 1

i would giggle with delight if TD scoops BB in any and all categories. The split season just to qualify for 2 awards seasons is pure bullshit and I hope they get punished for it.

it was bullshit. but it certainly did create an atmosphere where a lot of people were watching some of the best tv ever. i don't know if that would have happened without the break.

as for awards, hard to see how they don't give best actor to mcaughegy or however its spelled. they love to give it to film stars who come down to tv. and if he wins the oscar and then they can get him an emmy they will do that no question. plus i'd say he deserves it. for best series, maybe the breaking bad party ended last year right after the show with the awards so soon after, i don't know. this show has been pretty great and it wouldn't bother me at all if it won the emmy. directing emmy for sure. writing probably. yeah it could sweep it all and probably should. assuming it stays this good for the last 4.