1. 1. What TV show should I watch next?

• Dexter
    • Game of Thrones
    • Mad Men
    • Sons of Anarchy
    • The Shield
    • The Wire
    • Other

Have you seen Alphas? It's on Netflix, and only 2 seasons (assuming it got cancelled). I'm only 5 episodes in, but I like it so far. It's a little similar to Heroes, except I think the acting in this is a little better. So far there are 5 main Alphas

Hot Indian Chick - Super senses

Hot White Chick - Can push thoughts onto people

Retarded Kid - Can see frequencies in the air, like TV, Internet, Cellphone, etc.

Big Black Guy - Can increase his adrenaline at will to become super strong.

Chris O'Donnell look-alike - I don't know how to explain his ability, but he would be really good at beer pong.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i cant wait until next week when GOV is all like i dont even get why mcnulty is on the show.

The blood bank

baskets took a few episodes to get its see-legs, then was overall pretty good to very good.

How are you watching it? Did I miss the release, or is it a torrent?

Btw I watched the rest of Orphan Black. It's definitely worth watching if you have any inkling, which you obviously do. When I compared it to Lost I only listed the bad similarities, but Lost had a lot of good things too (especially early on) and so does Orphan Black.

The gay brother is a great character.

I think it's available now on dvd, I'm interested in what you think of it.

The more I reflect on the show the more I like it actually and am looking forward to the next season. It has a whole lot of great aspects, visually, comically, dramatically. It's not perfect and there is some cheese, but it's really great in a lot of ways. Nobody would ever confuse it with The Wire, but it's actually a lot more insightful and beautiful than Lost, which I kept comparing it to.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of British shows, has anybody watched Broadchurch? You may have even discussed it here somewhere and I missed it.

Anyway, it's pretty good. Dark and brooding and whatever. The plot is basically Twin Peaks (a child is murdered in a small tight-knit community where everybody has secrets, and they bring in an outside detective to solve it), but without the surrealism or satire. So I mean, it doesn't sniff Twin Peaks, but it's not bad. David Tennant takes the place of Kyle MacLachlin, but again without the humor. I don't really like Doctor Who but I do really like David Tennant.

I started watching a British/French crime show called The Tunnel on FX. 2 episodes in and so far it's pretty great.

It's the English/French version of The Bridge

• 3 weeks later...

Btw I watched the rest of Orphan Black. It's definitely worth watching if you have any inkling, which you obviously do. When I compared it to Lost I only listed the bad similarities, but Lost had a lot of good things too (especially early on) and so does Orphan Black.

The gay brother is a great character.

I think it's available now on dvd, I'm interested in what you think of it.

Okay, I just watched first season--it's only ten episodes so it didn't take long. From shows like Lost or Fringe (or even Buffy/Angel) I liked the Monster-of-the-Week stories the most. The season long arcs don't interest me as much--even when I read Watchmen, the parts I liked best was watching the demi-gods try and make nice with one another, not the larger, more meta themes. I'd like more episodics, but the short season was lovely.

In case anyone is trying to be unspoiled:

The lead actress as Sarah reminds me of next gen Fairuza Balk. When she has the blond wig on, she reminds me of Shakira. The recasting of Canadian actors was distracting--especially the actors from Rookie Blue.

Felix was my favorite character. I really liked some of the female led violence--particularly the head butts.

While I think there was some good objectification--like how many times do the different clones need to walk around in their underwear? And why does the crazy one like to cut herself in artful ways that exaggerates her feminine curves? The lazy trope storytelling is found in the supporting black male partner, and the wise African mother. Lord. That writer's room really did not hurt itself thinking of new ideas.

I think every lesbian I knew in the 1990's would absolutely love this show. Does everything from Canada have a mild time warp?

Overall, it's good, not great. I'm in for season 2--but will wait until I can rent it.

• 1 year later...

Anyone else watch this John Adams horsecrap? Its like everything bad about Downtown Abby, but with the baggage of historical events that they have to portray. Its like a delivery device of historical quotes, not an actual drama. Essay would love it.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I watched the first episode of the Netflix show Love last night. Shitcakes I'm not interested--I only want to see the LA locations. So far it looked like the city I know, but the story and the characters were just not pleasant to me.

The first episode is the worst, so maybe give it one more shot. Overall, its pretty funny. The dramatic stuff is average, cringe-worthy stuff gets pretty cringey. They all run 5-10 minutes longer than would be ideal, but it's worth watching. At least through the 7 episodes I've seen.

I don't love Frau's 2 year old scathing review of Orphan Black.

It comes back in April, along with Game of Thrones, Veep, Silicon Valley. CLARA, clear my schedule

I just reread it, it's not quite internet scathing. I only remember watching the first season. I'm seriously thinking about getting cable back, I miss watching tv at the same time as everyone else.

PS Love VEEP

I still haven't watched the final season of Justified. Need to get on that.

damn bro. justified is a top ten all time show, and the final season was good stuff. i loved the ending.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked that, not because I've seen Baskets, but because I'm glad you posted anything. How's is going, Q?

• 6 months later...

I just binge-watched Rectify from Netflix while working. It's one slow burn but I enjoyed it, easy to follow while working for anyone interested in family life after 20 years behind bars.