• The Wire
    • Other

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i cant wait until next week when GOV is all like i dont even get why mcnulty is on the show.

The blood bank

baskets took a few episodes to get its see-legs, then was overall pretty good to very good.

if he doesnt shoot someone during an episode i get upset.

Me too, except replace "shoot" with "bang" and "someone" with "super hot rando slutbag."

The overall feel and structure of Justified seems like a less fun Burn Notice to me. I'm still watching it, but mostly because I have the flu and don't feel like doing much else.

Episodes 2-6 are among the weakest of the series. I still think they're good, but the show is still finding is footing, acting as a "monster of the week" type show, as yet unsure of its overarching direction.

One of the things I really like about the show is how it judiciously uses its cast. Tim Gutterson (Jacob Pitts) is a great character, and I'm sure everyone who watches the show thinks he's a great character. But the writers do a good job of not using him so much that we get sick of him, which pays off every time we see him. We get more Art (Nick Searcy), but he's still not overexposed.

The show really picks up once Boyd Crowder gets out of jail. His character is completely rebooted. He goes from a Nazi shithead that nobody can sympathize with, to a completely different anti-hero that I find myself rooting for almost as much as Raylan Givens. He turns into one of the most interesting characters on television, a man whose vocabulary and unique sense of style belie his backwoods KKKomando origins. Walton Goggins should be nominated for best supporting actor every single year. He's that good.

Also "Decoy" from Season 4 is on the shortlist of best television episodes of all time. A review I read of the show led with the tag, "You might not see a major motion picture this year more well-plotted and tense than this week's Justified," and that's probably the best encapsulation of the beauty of the episode. Hollywood could add 30 minutes of set up and a 10 minute epilogue, and this episode would legitimately feel at home in theaters as a solid budget action flick. That 45 minutes has amazing dialog, explosions, torture, and never feels forced or over the top.

Anyway, stick with it. I have good taste in everything, and once you get to episodes 7, 8, 9 and change, I imagine you'll be invested enough in story and plot to get invested in characters, which means the rest of the show is a lock to be entertaining. Especially once Wynn Duffy (Jere Burns) shows up.

I also have flulike symptoms so I'm going to watch three episodes of Justified and then some other stuff.

Edit:

I'm watchingJustified, Season 1, Episode 8 "Blowback."

It's basically a bottle episode, as most of the episode takes place in the Marshals' Office when a prisoner (fighting a transfer to a Supermax) keisters a shiv and takes a guard hostage, and Raylan finds himself hostage negotiator, while at the same time ADA David Vasquez is in the building in order to interview Raylan about some of his on duty shootings. W. Earl Brown (who plays Dan Dority in Deadwood) plays the prisoner, and he's awesome. The brother of the guy who plays Morgan on Chuck plays David Vasquez. Most of the episode is dialog between two of the (like 35) great actors in Deadwood. Also, this is the first episode in which Jere Burns shows up.

At the end, Boyd gets out of jail. "I must leave you now, Raylan, to be restored to the bosom of my family. I will continue to pray that, someday, I might bring you a modicum of peace." And then he does this open-arms run-trot that is 100% Walton Goggins awesome

92/100

EDIT2:

Oh my God, I have never been more surprised by anything than this:

W. Earl Brown, the guy who plays Dan in Deadwood plays, get this, WARREN in Something About Mary, that retard guy who doesn't like when people touch his headphones and who likes his baseball and does other weird retard stuff. ABSOLUTE WOW!!

• Like 1

I watched the pilot of Justified and thought it was very good but decided to stick with the wire. I'm on ep 7 I think and its starting to feel more promising.

• Like 1

I watched the pilot of Justified and thought it was very good but decided to stick with the wire. I'm on ep 7 I think and its starting to feel more promising.

The wire is great, but its not until the final episode of the first season do you really understand what the shows about.

Shane from the Shield is by far the best part of Justified, and he's barely in it so far. They really should be building the show around him. Not just because his character is better than any of the others, but also because he is the best actor in the show by a large margin.

• Like 1

He gets more face time as the series moves along. The hillbilly drama is by far the best part of the show, and it takes a while for that to start heating up.

I like a lot of the Marshall stuff, too, but the show is best when it does its best to show how similar Boyd and Raylan are, and how hard Raylan is fighting that.

But, yeah, Walton Goggins is a phenomenal actor. He makes "hillbilly genius" somehow wholly believable

Yeah, it's normally such an irritating trope, but he pulls it off.

I know, right? If you showed me the character outline, I would have laughed my ass off and never watched the show. In fact, I didn't even consider watching it just because I saw all the previews and advertisements, and thought to myself, "Cowboy US Marshal DOESN'T PLAY BY THE RULES. Super idea, guys." And maybe if it were just Raylan in his cowboy hat fighting crime and slamming broads I'd have been right, but the supporting cast is really well fleshed out. Not sure if you've gotten there, but Season 2 has some awesome characters. Dickie (THAT SCIENTIST GUY FROM LOST) and Maggs (HILLARY SWANK'S BITCH MOM) Bennet are pretty good characters, uniquely written and portrayed, both.

That being said, I am 100% jealous of Boyd. He's just so god darn cool, and I want to be him. Or at least be one of his friends.

One of my favorite exchanges, from my favorite episode:

Nicky Augustine: I got to ask. Where'd you get all those teeth?

Boyd Crowder: Courtesy of the American taxpayer while serving our great nation in Desert Storm.

Nicky Augustine: Man, I love the way you talk... using 40 words where 4 will do. I'm curious. What would you say if I was about to put 40 bullets through that beautiful vest of yours?

Boyd Crowder: "What're you waiting for?"

Nicky Augustine: Oh, you're cool, huh?

Boyd Crowder: I tried to keep it to four words. You'll allow the contraction as one.

Nicky Augustine: Yolo.

[Yolo starts to beat Boyd]

• Like 1

I would strongly consider sleeping with Wynonna.

You'd take Winona over Ava? I'd make them both wish for death, obv, but I think I'd make Ava wish she'd never been born.