Is There A 1980's Movies Thread?

If not, please list all fun 1980's movies here.

1980-1990. "Critics" don't count nor does Rotten Tomatoes (which gives "Nothing but Trouble" 9%).

If you like it, list it.

I'll start it off with 5 obvious ones.

Ferris Buellers Day Off

Breakfast Club

Field of Dreams

Ghostbusters

Teen Wolf (<- I include this as an example of the types of movies some people apt to leave out because everyone is trying to be pretentious cnut but are nevertheless very fun to watch and a real throwback)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RAD

Re: Teen Wolf   I was reading an article yesterday about the biggest plot holes in movies and Teen Wolf was one of the dozen or so listed.   I'm guessing nobody here could say what that huge plo

Rocky 4 (GOAT)   Bloodsport (GOAT van damme movie)

Teen Wolf (<- I include this as an example of the types of movies some people apt to leave out because everyone is trying to be pretentious cnut but are nevertheless very fun to watch and a real throwback)

One of my favorite treats is to go back and re-watch 80's movies and pick up on the Pot references that I didn't get when I'm a kid. Two of my favorite are the teen wolf seen where MJF uses his wolf senses to find their sack of weed, and the Reefer Addicts reference to the black band members getting blazed in the car in Back to the Future.

This thread made me think of an old Nick Cage Movie, Valley Girls, which I barely even remember now, but I used to watch all the time on USA.

I loved the following movies as a kid:

A Winner Never Quits. (80's baseball movie!!)

Field of Dreams

Dream Machine

Can't Buy Me Love

Ferris

Dark Crystal

Ruskies

War Games

Goonies

Princess Bride

Some of mine growing up:

Batman (Michael Keaton)

The Wizard

The Thing

Aliens

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

National Lampoon Christmas Vacation

The Burbs

The Money Pit

Little Monsters

Re: Teen Wolf

I was reading an article yesterday about the biggest plot holes in movies and Teen Wolf was one of the dozen or so listed.

I'm guessing nobody here could say what that huge plot hole was.

The movie was set in Nebraska, but in some shots you could see palm trees in the background.

• Like 1

I was reading an article yesterday about the biggest plot holes in movies and Teen Wolf was one of the dozen or so listed.

The movie was set in Nebraska, but in some shots you could see palm trees in the background.

Obviously you've never been to Grand Island. It's quite tropical

Caddyshack

Red Dawn

Big trouble little china

Maximum overdrive

Three amigos

Scarface

Full metal jacket

Coming to America

National lampoons Vacation

The untouchables

Fast times of ridgemont high

The road warrior

Hoosiers

Please keep going. Feel free to dig deep into stupid/marginal films.

I'm making a DVD list.

I didn't even know it was set in Nebraska. Did they say or reference that anywhere in the film? I thought it was just a typical 80s movie "Yourtown, USA shot on location in California".

Bloodsport is great and all, but Kickboxer, bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNyJNHa9Yso

For martial arts fans, that was kind of a somewhat kinda-sort-of meaningful Hollywood film since it was essentially about Muay Thai, a very credible martial art form. Up to that point, most movies in that genre were based on Oriental fantasist fight-choreography absurdities like Wing Chun, Kung Fu, etc.

There was that gray period in the 1990's and into the early 2000's when MMA hit the scene and most TMA's were shown to be impotent Hollywood nonsense. Anyone who came up in the 70's and 80's as a kid was undoubtedly influenced by those movies and probably believed that a 'bad ass' looked like a little Chinaman waving limp wrists in front of his body and making high pitched noises. Reality couldn't have been any further from that but it does go to show how influential 'popular culture' can be and how a huge group of people can believe in bullshit. Still, to this day, there are TMA studios promoting bullshido.

The Outsiders

Rumble Fish

Bachelor Party

Stroker Ace

Cannon Ball Run

Vision Quest

Stand By Me

Raising Arizona

Cocktail

Commando

Naked Gun

Great Outdoors