Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

That's crazy. I was on Gordon Rd, just down from St Andrews (the higher numbers, not the low numbers where Kirk Muller lived for a stint).

Funny story - so the street just up from us is Owen St. I went to Owen Public School until grade 3. When we were looking for a boy's name for our first, I was going through possibilities (first suggestions were Mario, Wayne, Doug and Wendel. Somehow they got turned down). After stopping to think of possible names, I realized I thought Owen Nolan was a cool name, but that there'd been a bully named Nolan so I liked Owen better. Wife loved it so that's his name. I didn't put it together with actually going to Owen school until years later when I was showing my wife the area and pointed out the school...

Second part is that my wife and I actually met Owen Nolan last week volunteering at a hockey alumni event, and my wife told him the story of how Owen got his name.

yah, original homes on that street were nice but fairly modest on large lots. The perfect combination for them all to be torn down and replaced with McMansions.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

The first pin in the Toronto balloon has been inserted.

House at Dufferin and St Clair, agent under lists it at $599,000 to get a bidding war 0 bids! Now trying other strategy listing it at real price of $850,000 still no bids.

Rosedale all of 2016 only 1 house on the entire block was available. Last month same area, 6 have gone up and only 3 sold.

Personally I think the under listing is an old trick that just isn't going to work anymore. People are fed up of bidding and losing.

Oh ya this Home Capital debacle is doing more damage slowing things down than any policy Wynne can come up with.

The first pin in the Toronto balloon has been inserted.

House at Dufferin and St Clair, agent under lists it at $599,000 to get a bidding war 0 bids! Now trying other strategy listing it at real price of $850,000 still no bids.

Rosedale all of 2016 only 1 house on the entire block was available. Last month same area, 6 have gone up and only 3 sold.

Personally I think the under listing is an old trick that just isn't going to work anymore. People are fed up of bidding and losing.

Oh ya this Home Capital debacle is doing more damage slowing things down than any policy Wynne can come up with.

typically when a housing market turns the sale prices at first stay high and don't drop but the number of homes listed for sale increases and I think we're starting to see that happen.

typically when a housing market turns the sale prices at first stay high and don't drop but the number of homes listed for sale increases and I think we're starting to see that happen.

Was talking to another real estate agent friend last night, he has a house up for sale spadina and bloor area. Offers come in tomorrow and he's shocked he only got 5 viewings all week, he expected close to 50.

He's totally shocked at whats happened in the last 2 weeks to the housing market and we know its for real because it's the exact opposite of what all experts predicted. They said the 1 million+ homes won't be affected and it will be the condos that drop first. Meanwhile the condo market is still strong while the 1 million+ homes are getting 0 offers on offer day. If you look now most of the homes will say accepting offers anytime.

I find these last few posts very interesting.

This is just another 'i heard this' point, but put all together, I find it probably signifies something:

I was talking to someone I know well, who works as a realtor at a place where 99% of the clients are Chinese. (she is as well)

She mentioned that as of 2 weeks ago, it was like suddenly someone disconnected all the interested buyers from China. NOTHING coming in suddenly to buy/invest.

Also, I live in a predominantly Chinese area, and the number of listings seems rather high as I drive around. A lot of people looking to cash out, it would seem, but I wonder where are they going to go.

I find these last few posts very interesting.

This is just another 'i heard this' point, but put all together, I find it probably signifies something:

I was talking to someone I know well, who works as a realtor at a place where 99% of the clients are Chinese. (she is as well)

She mentioned that as of 2 weeks ago, it was like suddenly someone disconnected all the interested buyers from China. NOTHING coming in suddenly to buy/invest.

Also, I live in a predominantly Chinese area, and the number of listings seems rather high as I drive around. A lot of people looking to cash out, it would seem, but I wonder where are they going to go.

I think part of it is we forget how many listings there used to be so the increase we see now from historical lows seems like a lot. There are always people who are moving for lots of reasons.

One thing that could happen if people think that the market has peaked is that investment properties get sold off and they take the profits. I know quite a few Chinese families where they have properties in their kid's names to get around some of the taxes but they are really the parent's. These are Canadian Chinese families, not the off shore Chinese who are just looking to park their money in real estate, most of those won't be looking to sell since they're just happy they got their money out of China.

1. agree that a lot of the sellers could be 'investors'. I also know of a few in the same boat, Chinese and non-Chinese

2. curious why you think those from China would not choose to sell if they thought the market was high? Why not just sell it and park your money in a GIC? At this point, money is out of China, I dont think they would send it back home or anything, it was about getting money out in first place, and now its out.

The Chinese are investing all their money in bit coin.

I made that up.

My autocorrect wants to change "bitcoin" to "bitch in" ...telling me something, I think.

1. agree that a lot of the sellers could be 'investors'. I also know of a few in the same boat, Chinese and non-Chinese

2. curious why you think those from China would not choose to sell if they thought the market was high? Why not just sell it and park your money in a GIC? At this point, money is out of China, I dont think they would send it back home or anything, it was about getting money out in first place, and now its out.

GIC's pay peanuts.

Chinese for many reasons love property over all other investments and the ones I'm talking about are the very wealthy who don't have mortgages or anything like that and if they compare the property prices in Toronto to Shanghai or Hong Kong it still looks cheap so they aren't really that concerned about a major correction.

Plus a foreign buyers tax makes it more likely they will hang onto their current property since if they sell and then want to buy back into the market they'll have to pay a tax while they don't have to pay anything additional to hold onto their current property.

Bear on the loose in Toronto (Scarborough actually)

it's in Malvern. Are "The Bears" affiliated with the Crips or the Bloods ?

it's in Malvern. Are "The Bears" affiliated with the Crips or the Bloods ?

the bear was found shot in malvern with 392 bullets in it from 96 different guns.

the bear was found shot in malvern with 392 bullets in it from 96 different guns.

police had to put the bear down. Animal Control said they weren't equipped to deal with it humanely.

Was talking to another real estate agent friend last night, he has a house up for sale spadina and bloor area. Offers come in tomorrow and he's shocked he only got 5 viewings all week, he expected close to 50.

He's totally shocked at whats happened in the last 2 weeks to the housing market and we know its for real because it's the exact opposite of what all experts predicted. They said the 1 million+ homes won't be affected and it will be the condos that drop first. Meanwhile the condo market is still strong while the 1 million+ homes are getting 0 offers on offer day. If you look now most of the homes will say accepting offers anytime.

The offer date came and went 0 offers. They are now taking offers anytime but raised the price to 1,299,999. from 1,099,999.

I am glad buyers finally got fed up of the under pricing gimmick to get lots of bids. Just list the house at market value, why give people the false hope that a house in within their budget when it really isn't,

There's a single detached on my way to laundry that went on the market. Checked it out... $1.1M listing. 5 mins from the subway, practically on a nice park. 3 bed, 2 bath. I can't even remember if I think 1.1 is too much for that these days lol.

There's a single detached on my way to laundry that went on the market. Checked it out... $1.1M listing. 5 mins from the subway, practically on a nice park. 3 bed, 2 bath. I can't even remember if I think 1.1 is too much for that these days lol.

Whats the address?

Played Bond Head today (first round this year). Amazing course. Only issue was the ugly traffic on the way home. It seems like everyone is on the 401

Played Bond Head today (first round this year). Amazing course. Only issue was the ugly traffic on the way home. It seems like everyone is on the 401

which course?

which course?

South. I could not book the north. Got a wicked deal. $65 for both of us. My partner rolled in a eagle on the 18th. Hit an 8 iron from 150

We should play it one day

South. I could not book the north. Got a wicked deal. $65 for both of us. My partner rolled in a eagle on the 18th. Hit an 8 iron from 150

We should play it one day

i have a golf trip booked for Scotland for august. I'm looking to play as much as possible before then. Club link offered Glen Abbey the other day for $89 cart included

That's awesome Chris. That will be an amazing experience. My brother did a Scotland golf trip last year and he said it was incredible.

Less exciting, but I've got an Arizona golf/boys trip booked for June. Playing TPC Scottsdale Stadium course and We Ko Pa Cholla course

i have a golf trip booked for Scotland for august. I'm looking to play as much as possible before then. Club link offered Glen Abbey the other day for $89 cart included

I have a bunch of golf passes I brought. Angus Glen, Cherry Downs, Glen Eagle, Cardinal Golf, Bethesda, etc. Plan on taking a few clients out.

One pass I got I am taking the kids and it is Lake Joseph up North. We are suppose to stay overnight in a Villa.

I have a bunch of golf passes I brought. Angus Glen, Cherry Downs, Glen Eagle, Cardinal Golf, Bethesda, etc. Plan on taking a few clients out.

One pass I got I am taking the kids and it is Lake Joseph up North. We are suppose to stay overnight in a Villa.

lake Joe is my favourite muskoka course. It's not the best, but its my favourite. Muskoka Bay is the best course, rocky crest is the best golf challenge, The Rock is the hardest, but lake Joe is just special. Let me know when you're there, and if you have a spot I'll come and play with you.

That's awesome Chris. That will be an amazing experience. My brother did a Scotland golf trip last year and he said it was incredible.

Less exciting, but I've got an Arizona golf/boys trip booked for June. Playing TPC Scottsdale Stadium course and We Ko Pa Cholla course

thats awesome, you'll have to let me know how that is. I played Arizona golf years ago, but none of the great courses, would love to go back. Especially the stadium course, that will be awesome for you. Was it hard to book?

For Scotland, we are working on the golf digest top 100 in the world. When we got married there in 2011, we played Carnoustie, Turnberry, Troon, and the Old Course at St. Andrews. This trip, we have Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart, North Berwick, and the Old Course again. Dornoch is the real prize. It's number 5 on the top 100, ahead of the old course (no. 7).

This fall we are going to the east coast to play The two courses at Cabot, and Highland Links. The Cabot courses have slid into the number one spot in Canada.

Let me know if you're around here, Dave, and maybe we can squeeze a game in.