• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

Isnt there also the issue of why Uber and/or its drivers pay no taxes to local governments?

I have a friend who is a lawyer and his family also owns 3 taxi licence plates.

That is their issue with Uber, why have them not pay taxi fees (which are huge), insurance and not are regulated.

It is like let Tom, Dick and Harry setup tax offices on the corner to do tax returns (H&R Block, etc). Wait they do allow this already.

• Like 1

I mean, you don't need an MBA to drive a taxi. It's not like this is a specialized skill.

Agree about the issue over paying municipal taxes though. But the medallion system isn't working, all things considered. It needs to be completely overhauled. Should end up that drivers aren't beholden to specific "corporate" medallion owners.

Licensing and regulating can be important, but this is just an area where it's been over regulated to death. The market is sending a clear signal what it wants here. There can and should be a happy medium between the regulation-free market and whatever you'd call the current set up.

Uber needs some fixing too. A livable wage for drivers would be good. But the market, in theory, is supposed to take care of that. If drivers aren't earning enough, they'll leave or not enter the market in the first place as their time could be best used elsewhere. That said, we have min wage laws in this country for a reason, and that's to correct that market failure for people who are desperate enough to work for peanuts.

• Like 1

I mean, you don't need an MBA to drive a taxi. It's not like this is a specialized skill.

Agree about the issue over paying municipal taxes though. But the medallion system isn't working, all things considered. It needs to be completely overhauled. Should end up that drivers aren't beholden to specific "corporate" medallion owners.

Licensing and regulating can be important, but this is just an area where it's been over regulated to death. The market is sending a clear signal what it wants here. There can and should be a happy medium between the regulation-free market and whatever you'd call the current set up.

Uber needs some fixing too. A livable wage for drivers would be good. But the market, in theory, is supposed to take care of that. If drivers aren't earning enough, they'll leave or not enter the market in the first place as their time could be best used elsewhere. That said, we have min wage laws in this country for a reason, and that's to correct that market failure for people who are desperate enough to work for peanuts.

You don't need a MBA to be an Uber driver too. That is not the issue.

Let's just say If I put my life savings into a business and decided to be a taxi driver. Along came Uber who is not regulated as I am and do not have the upfront costs (which are huge) as a taxi driver. I would be pretty ticked off. It is not a level playing field.

• Like 1

On a side note, I treated myself to a brand new set of irons. I got a Nike Vapor Pro set. Stiff shafts however. I am going to hit them at the driving range this Friday.

I think Zach is exactly right that the taxi system is corrupted and overregulated, but the solution isn't necessarily Uber, but a middle-ground somewhere. I would guess that takes the form of Uber or similar private companies, and I can see cities not being willing to let Uber open up shop until some of those questions are answered and not giving up their taxi infrastructure until it's certain that Uber will be able to handle the market in the long run.

I think Zach is exactly right that the taxi system is corrupted and overregulated, but the solution isn't necessarily Uber, but a middle-ground somewhere. I would guess that takes the form of Uber or similar private companies, and I can see cities not being willing to let Uber open up shop until some of those questions are answered and not giving up their taxi infrastructure until it's certain that Uber will be able to handle the market in the long run.

I have a guy who drove Uber this year. He loves it. The reason why:

1. no upfront costs

2. he sits in the entertainment district on weekends. Idiots/drunks come out and use Uber and most likely it is surge pricing. He has driven people home to Maple for $600 many many many times

There was a recent article or perhaps even an academic study that found the average hourly wage for an uber driver, after using the CAA figures for vehicle operating costs, were close to, or even under minimum wage.

That's kind of part of Uber's allure, is those costs are kind of hidden, especially maintenance/repairs which come with one big bill instead of the per km rate CAA cites. Plus actually owning a car in the first place is a pre-requisite.

you sure about the $600?

That is what he told me. Surge pricing in the late evenings. They just swipe their iphones and pay whatever.

He loves it. Says he only drives in the very late evenings.

There was a recent article or perhaps even an academic study that found the average hourly wage for an uber driver, after using the CAA figures for vehicle operating costs, were close to, or even under minimum wage.

That's kind of part of Uber's allure, is those costs are kind of hidden, especially maintenance/repairs which come with one big bill instead of the per km rate CAA cites. Plus actually owning a car in the first place is a pre-requisite.

When we were in Miami a couple of weeks back, we took Uber everywhere. At some point, it turned into a discussion with every guy (12 out 12 rides all male drivers).

The last guy who took us to the airport was really nice, and he mentioned how this was just a nice income for him that he does right after work (this was at 6pm) and just gets 2/3 rides a night, and gets a little extra cash. (note the cash, since to them, its all just undeclared income Im guessing). Well, as this guy is driving, one of my friends who owns an auto parts business, tells the driver that he should change his rotors and try _____ ______ instead of what he is using, because of whatever reason. Long story short, it occured to us all afterwards that this poor guy has no real idea the expenses he is incurring by being a "shared driver". To him its just easy cash, but beyond a very simple gas cost (which even that he wasnt really clear on), he had never considered the thought of wear+tear on his car. This made me curious about how many of these guys are like this, and at what point in the Uber work cycle do they figure it out. Uber was restricted in that area of Florida for a while, and its only come back about 3 months ago, so many of the drivers are only 3 months into it.

Also, LYFT seems to have a real presence down there, and from what I heard from a couple of the guys, they prefer it. (better pay)

I havent heard much about LFYT here, does it have any role in TO?

My preference if I did not drive would be:

1. Taxi

2. Uber

3. TTC

For me it would be

Subway of the place has one

Bus if the place has one

Taxi

Walk

Not go

Uber/raped

For me it would be

Subway of the place has one

Bus if the place has one

Taxi

Walk

Not go

Uber/raped

Hmmnn. I forgot about the option not go.

Today is tax deadline day for folks who are t4 etc. So no rental or self employed income.

I have been working like a dog this past month. However my day just got brighter. The twin Irish sisters are coming to see me.

I just did the census. That was boring.

But yay to actually being able to collect useful data after the 2011 short form thing, which wasn't as good, statistically speaking. And as someone who has been researching a lot lately using Census data, a rather annoying anomaly.

Today is tax deadline day for folks who are t4 etc. So no rental or self employed income.

I have been working like a dog this past month. However my day just got brighter. The twin Irish sisters are coming to see me.

I can breath now.

I have decided to take the day off on Friday. Booking no appointments. Going to take the sticks out and hang out at the driving range Suppose to be sunny and 20 degrees