Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

In my area we have our annual East York skating gala. It has been going strong for 65 years. The reason I know about it is because my girls take figure skating.

Tonight the MPP Arthur Potts was in attendance. He said to the crowd that he never knew about this and was quite impressed. All I thought was I will never vote for him since he is an idiot for not knowing his area he represents.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

Had a big scare on Sunday. My oldest Step Daughter who is 20 and a student at York U was driving home after writing an exam on Steeles East of Dufferin when this happened.

Green light and the car turning left just turned right into the oncoming traffic with no chance of making it through. It was about 5:20 PM and the sun would have been right in his eyes. 20 year old kid from New York City with his Mother and younger Brother in the car. Police charged him with unsafe left turn.

My Daughter and her friend both were banged up and taken to hospital as was the Mother in the other car. It looks like only scrapes and bruises on her legs but she is pretty freaked out and it might be awhile before she drives again. At the moment I'm the only person she feels comfortable driving a car with her in it.

This video is from the dash cam of the car in the curb lane that probably would have hit the car if my Daughter didn't. It's a video of the video.

http://youtu.be/4CIh3fhF4Ls

That sucks Bob, both the physical and the mental anguish. Hope her back is okay, that's the worst part of accidents like that.

My wife has a dashcam as well. Its amazing what you can see in a day.

How should I go about asking for more work and more responsibility at work while showing my ambition and passion, but not stepping on anybody's toes or bothering the constantly busy higher ups, etc?

My role there currently is kind of poorly defined. I feel like I'm in limbo working a few projects for three different departments, and I'm finding that I'm sometimes struggling to fill the hours. I want to ask for more work. I want stacks and stacks and stacks of it. I don't know the best way to go about this. Any advice?

Seems like you have been there long enough to have 'earned the right' to ask for a meeting with a higher-up to discuss your role. Obviously you'll be conscious of how you word it, but you won't be stepping on anyone's toes if you send an email, tell him you'd like an opportunity to discuss your current role and how he/she sees it developing, and what you can do to encourage that. The trick is finding the right person, if you are involved in a few departments - you want someone who knows you at least a bit and who thinks highly of your work, and for that person to be a well-liked and influential person in the organization. The right mentor can easily make a career, and the majority of higher-ups love having ambitious young people take ownership of their career and be proactive like that, so if anything, just asking will actually impress them, rather than bothering them.

How should I go about asking for more work and more responsibility at work while showing my ambition and passion, but not stepping on anybody's toes or bothering the constantly busy higher ups, etc?

My role there currently is kind of poorly defined. I feel like I'm in limbo working a few projects for three different departments, and I'm finding that I'm sometimes struggling to fill the hours. I want to ask for more work. I want stacks and stacks and stacks of it. I don't know the best way to go about this. Any advice?

I assume you are a contract employee and not a regular employee yet, that makes a difference.

As a contract employee it's a fine line between letting management know that you are available to take on more work and them thinking that hey we aren't really using this guy so let's cut him at the end of his contract.

In an ideal World you have a mentor/champion in management who you can talk to. I would be careful about making them think you are under worked though and try and frame it more as you wanting to get as much exposure to new things and experience as possible since you are still new and wet behind the ears.

• Like 1

I dont know what its like to be a Cubs fan or a Browns fan, but just being a sports fan in Toronto is fckng brutal.

Saw this, assumed it meant the raps were losing, checked score: 90-79 pacers. Finished up some dishes, flipped on the game: 92-92. 20 seconds later 98-92. Crazy

wait wtf happened... nba.com said 102-102 End 4th, now it's back to 102-99... did they review? Review is a thing in NBA?

they review, ball didn't get out of his hands before the clock was at zero

Between my parents visiting this coming weekend and the preparations with two Toronto families for a family wedding this summer, I'm often reminded that everyone in the city of Toronto sucks except some of you guys.

I dont know what its like to be a Cubs fan or a Browns fan, but just being a sports fan in Toronto is fckng brutal.

Whats the opposite of #sergejinx?

You're welcome Raptor fans! lol

That was a great 4th quarter, but wow, it all feels really lucky for some reason.

lollerskates, not sure if I meant it that way or not. Then again, if you aren't one of the three people who I have either fathered or married, then I probably suck as a person to you too, so I'm not being hypocritical here (or maybe I am?)

I did not see the Raptors game but after watching highlights, did this game actually happen?

It did have a dream like/nightmare quality to it.