Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

yes the job he has done is very good. I thought the city needed a guy like ford. I like how he coached a high school football team and he made everyone accountable on finances. On his brother having the total disrespect on Blair is just stupid

I just read that he had more votes than any other single politician in Canadian political history

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

I just read that he had more votes than any other single politician in Canadian political history

Since we don't vote for Premier or Prime Minister directly that is possible since the vote for Mayor of Toronto would be the largest single block of voters for any political office in the country.

And he pretty much says its because his alcoholism is out of control.

But who cares, he's the face of a group of politicans who has been saving taxpayer money, so its all good.

Except when it comes to transportation policy. He's going to end up spending billions more than necessary for a Scarborough and perhaps Sheppard subway extension where there's not even close to the proper level of demand for it, instead of putting a perfectly adequate LRT system in, and saving billions to put transit in other areas that desperately need it because they're already over capacity... except that means downtown, which is only full of latte-sipping pinkos, right? And that means only the latte-sipping pinkos would be using a new Don Mills subway, certainly not commuters coming into the core... etc, etc... or even having more money to use on whatever the hell solution they decide for the Gardiner... but anyways... I don't know anything else about his fiscal policy, I didn't follow him at all before moving to Toronto.

===========

Also, isn't it a crime to smoke crack? If he admitted to smoking crack, do they not have cause to charge him now? He keeps saying "if the police had proof, they'd charge me"... almost as a threat... now he admits he's guilty...

Except when it comes to transportation policy. He's going to end up spending billions more than necessary for a Scarborough and perhaps Sheppard subway extension where there's not even close to the proper level of demand for it, instead of putting a perfectly adequate LRT system in, and saving billions to put transit in other areas that desperately need it because they're already over capacity... except that means downtown, which is only full of latte-sipping pinkos, right? And that means only the latte-sipping pinkos would be using a new Don Mills subway, certainly not commuters coming into the core... etc, etc... or even having more money to use on whatever the hell solution they decide for the Gardiner... but anyways... I don't know anything else about his fiscal policy, I didn't follow him at all before moving to Toronto.

===========

Also, isn't it a crime to smoke crack? If he admitted to smoking crack, do they not have cause to charge him now? He keeps saying "if the police had proof, they'd charge me"... almost as a threat... now he admits he's guilty...

There is no political support for a downtown relief line not just from Ford. In public policy there are times you have to do what the public wants and the people in Scarborough have felt totally neglected by downtown centric politicians and their policies. Tell the people who will save 30 minutes combined on their commute with a subway over an LRT since they don't have to change trains that their area isn't good enough for a subway.

Clayton Ruby was on CP24 explaining why even if he admits smoking crack it's impossible to get a conviction on it because the police and courts would need an actual sample of the drugs because even if you think you're smoking something that doesn't mean that is what it actually is.

Tell the people who will save 30 minutes combined on their commute with a subway over an LRT since they don't have to change trains that their area isn't good enough for a subway.

Ok.

Do I have to call all 20 of the Scareberians myself, or can Zach and I split the calls?

Ok.

Do I have to call all 20 of the Scareberians myself, or can Zach and I split the calls?

Here's how a lot of people in Scarborough, and Etobicoke see things.

Scarborough is 625K people out of the 2.6 million in Toronto so about 25% of the city and there are only 2 subway stations. The length of time to get to the subway via bus is longer in Scarborough than any other part of the city.

A subway that ends at Sheppard and McCowan will draw more people to use public transit both from Scarborough and from places like Pickering and Markham

I think we should be spending far more money on public transit and I would actually be fine with as much as a 20% increase in my property taxes to pay for things like a downtown relief line and extending the Sheppard subway East to where the subway line will end at McCowan and Sheppard like originally planned when the Sheppard line was built.

There is no political support for a downtown relief line not just from Ford. In public policy there are times you have to do what the public wants and the people in Scarborough have felt totally neglected by downtown centric politicians and their policies. Tell the people who will save 30 minutes combined on their commute with a subway over an LRT since they don't have to change trains that their area isn't good enough for a subway.

The "political" thing to do is often not the right thing. As a soon to be expert in the field of transportation planning (one day!), I think it's egregious that they basically just disregard basic facts to appease what happens to be Ford's primary voting base. I hate the politics of it all.

Ford has done a wonderful job of convincing those in the inner suburbs that the downtown relief line, as it is so unfortunately called, will be just for downtowners, and not help anyone in the inner suburbs out. It's a complete fabrication. A DRL would service, basically exclusively, the commuters coming into the core. Those who already live downtown don't need more subways, they have bikes, and walkable neighbourhoods. The subway is, in it's current configuration and usage, first and foremost, a commuter system. It's crushed during peak hours, especially at the transfer points.

Furthermore, he's done a great job of hiding all the facts about LRTs. People who aren't keenly aware of the intricacies apparently are only listing to Ford and co., not the experts in the field. Sure, a transfer sucks, but it won't add 30 minutes to commute time. The current alignment, the SRT, as I understand, probably does suck, but the proposed LRT would have included a significantly easier transfer. People transfer modes all the time. People transfer to buses from subways. It's a fact of commuting. Spending billions of extra dollars for a subway there, when demand barely even warrants an LRT system is a complete waste. Not to mention that they'd be decreasing the number of stops from the already existing SRT, and serving a smaller number of people than the proposed LRT.

The numbers don't lie, but Ford finds a way to bias his supporters against them by dividing up the downtown and the suburbs. They feel neglected because they don't have a subway in their suburb? It's ****ing madness. Suburbs don't get subways. What cities do you see that? There are very clear guidelines for densities that can sustainably support subways, Scarborough isn't, and doesn't project to be close for many, many decades. Furthermore, there have been studies that show that most of the transportation movement by Scarberians (?) is actually to other places within Scarborough, making the subway option even more awful, with just 2 or 3 stops, or whatever it was.

Clayton Ruby was on CP24 explaining why even if he admits smoking crack it's impossible to get a conviction on it because the police and courts would need an actual sample of the drugs because even if you think you're smoking something that doesn't mean that is what it actually is.

Yeah, figured that would be the case.

It's pretty embarrassing to have a mayor who admitted to smoking crack while in office. Remember Marion Barry?

Another thing to consider is that the income level of people in Scarborough is lower than a lot of other places in the city. It's home to a higher percentage of recent immigrants who can't afford cars. Building effective transit is more of an issue for people who don't make as much money.

Such a stupid man. All he had to do was steal money from taxpayers and smoke the crack in his basement.

Part of me wants him to refuse to resign.

There are only 2 stops that matter on the current SRT. Scarborough Center and Kennedy Station, all of the others are basically unused since it runs along an existing railroad right of way through an industrial area where nobody lives.

By having less stops that actually matter on the subway that will improve time and actually serve an area that matters. McCowan and Lawrence is a really good spot for a station with Scarborough General Hospital being right there. I'm pretty sure that hospital has the busiest emergency department in the city for example.

That's fair, I never find old rail corridors to be particularly useful as far as mass transit, as they tend to be on the edges of population nodes, rather than in the centre. That doesn't change my overall opinion, however.

From a lot of things I have read and peoples reactions, lot of people feel that Ford has done a good job running the city.

Bill Clinton made a lot of mistakes too, but he is regarded as a great President.

I am not as concerned of his drinking and doing drugs off the clock. If it comes to fruition that he took bribes and was drunk on the job, then its a lot more serious situation.

He can save a lot of face now if he admits to his alcohol and drug problems and take a leave of absence..People come back strong from things like this..

I know that you've read this article Zach and I do agree that a Don Mills subway like proposed in this article is necessary for the future. I would probably extend it to Sheppard.

http://torontoist.com/2013/10/a-don-mills-subway-for-toronto/

Like I said I would be building a lot more subways. Being for this one doesn't mean that an extended subway to the Scarborough Town Center also isn't something that should be done.

And Zach Ford isn't the reason that people who live in Scarborough and Etobicoke think the way they do about downtown. The reason he was voted in as mayor is because of the way that those people think.

From a lot of things I have read and peoples reactions, lot of people feel that Ford has done a good job running the city.

Bill Clinton made a lot of mistakes too, but he is regarded as a great President.

I am not as concerned of his drinking and doing drugs off the clock. If it comes to fruition that he took bribes and was drunk on the job, then its a lot more serious situation.

He can save a lot of face now if he admits to his alcohol and drug problems and take a leave of absence..People come back strong from things like this..

The problem is that it isn't just his being a drunk and a buffoon. He's no longer a good advocate for the policies that he supports and he has shown that he has very little managerial skills or the ability to build consensus. He's far too flawed an individual in many ways now and people who in general support the policies that got him elected in the first place need to find somebody new to carry their banner.

I know that you've read this article Zach and I do agree that a Don Mills subway like proposed in this article is necessary for the future. I would probably extend it to Sheppard.

I think this is key.

I'd go even further north, if it was shown to be feasible and cost effective.

The problem is that it isn't just his being a drunk and a buffoon. He's no longer a good advocate for the policies that he supports and he has shown that he has very little managerial skills or the ability to build consensus. He's far too flawed an individual in many ways now and people who in general support the policies that got him elected in the first place need to find somebody new to carry their banner.

I dont know..you can say that about most politicians. Lot of them are flawed..Lot of them have problems.

I think with a proper spin, Ford can become a sort of hero..

An advocate of a guy with problems, got help and moved on with his life.

what was the Rob Ford anouncement?

we are waiting..

media is being set up now..

He will come out any minute

http://torontoist.co...ay-for-toronto/

Like I said I would be building a lot more subways. Being for this one doesn't mean that an extended subway to the Scarborough Town Center also isn't something that should be done.

And Zach Ford isn't the reason that people who live in Scarborough and Etobicoke think the way they do about downtown. The reason he was voted in as mayor is because of the way that those people think.

Yeah, Steve Munro is fantastic. He writes about transportation at http://www.stevemunro.ca.

And that last point, I guess my point is that he does a really good job of exploiting it, rather than trying to unite the city, which any half-decent city builder should be doing.