Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

hasn't he sucked donkey balls the last 2 seasons and has a big price tag ?

Yes he has sucked but in this lineup he would definitely see alot better pitches plus he is a lefty

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

Bruce - would be a nice pickup. Obviously, 2010-2013 Bruce is a huge upgrade, while 2014-2015 Bruce is not only worse than Saunders, but probably worse than Revere or whoever backs up Saunders too. He's a good pickup in one sense because he has extreme and complimentary skills. If he isn't starting, he is a useful pinch-hitter, and if he is starting, he can be replaced by a pinch-fielder or runner (he is below-average defensively, though not a disaster, and 'just' an average runner). Considering his position is one where we have backups, it's nice to have a guy that tends towards extremes.

Also as Wayne pointed out, a lefty would help split things up, and for his career, Bruce shows pretty extreme splits (which doubles down on what I said above).

Bautista - I like the comments - as Dubey said, because they set expectations. He certainly strangles the term 'hometown discount' by referring to it, but also admits it was fair at the time given the risk. He seems to imply he deserves a bonus on this contract just before and after explicitly saying he doesn't! I'm very happy to see the full quote being printed, because it could certainly have been misconstrued in smaller parts.

In general, the only way I'd complain about this is if he asks for X amount of money, the Jays don't give it to him, and he ends up signing elsewhere for less without giving the Jays a chance to match. That seems very doubtful. If he wants to ask for too much money, that's his right to do so, and it helps the Jays to have the number up front. Only problem is that given his pride, and that most players (and most people) underestimate how much risk there is in aging sluggers, he is almost certainly asking for more money than a risk-weighted analysis would suggest he should be paid. And it would certainly be out of character for Shapiro to give an aging slugger a free-agent value contract (that is a compliment). So probably Bautista is gone, but it is a huge advantage to know that now as compared to the end of season, and maybe allows us to open up our budget a bit this season : )

Obvious Reds leak indicates that it wasn't Bruce who had an injury situation, so Jays respond with a similar leak that it was their minor-leaguer causing trouble, and not Saunders. Seems like they could find a replacement minor-leaguer, but reporters are all saying deal is 'dead'. I'm reading a lot into it, but sounds like either the teams are mad about the leaks, or it is a negotiating ploy to leak the deal is 'dead' to encourage a team to put in a different prospect then they want.

Pretty sure first leak on this came from the Reds, but still interesting to see any, since a lack of them was another Anthopolous hallmark.

Some crazy news coming out of Pickering.

http://www.msn.com/e...ROMY?li=AAggNb9

sounds like a female student just started stabbing people. In the US with more access to guns this could easily have been a shooting.

http://www.cp24.com/news/four-students-2-staff-injured-in-stabbing-at-high-school-in-pickering-police-1.2789110

New prices on the UP Express should make most people happy.

$9 ($12 w/o Presto) to get from Union to Pearson is very good.

Even better, from Bloor (short walk from Dundas West Stn), it'll be $5.02 with Presto, which is cheaper than the 15 minute non-stop GO bus from Yorkdale ($5.69).

I'm moving, but I would seriously consider backtracking to Dundas West to get the UPX next time I go to the airport. There are a few advantages.

1) a train every 15 minutes means you don't need to even check a schedule before heading out the door. Just missing a train won't make you miss your flight unless you're cutting it way too close. This will save me time as I've been going to Yorkdale mall way early because missing the bus is a disaster since the next one doesn't come for an hour. That's a big difference when you're trying to get to the airport 90 minutes before your flight.

2) the UPX puts you steps away from the people mover, so you can easily get to T3. The bus drops you at ground level at T1, so a bit of a trek to T3. (TTC bus stops at both terminals).

3) the walk from Dundas West to the UPX station isn't as bad as everyone says it is - certainly no worse than going from Yorkdale subway to the GO terminal.

Once I'm on the Danforth, think it'll probably be a non-brainier to subway to the UPX and take that.

For commuters near Weston or Bloor GO, $5.02 or less to get directly to Union is a pretty good deal. Doesn't work great if you need TTC at one or both ends, though.

The problem with the old price is once you have 2 people, you may as well just split a cab. The new price makes it a lot more accessible for families, couples, etc. (there's also a family rate of $25 for 2 adults and 3 kids under 19). It's not just targeted at businessmen anymore.

The problem with the old price is once you have 2 people, you may as well just split a cab. The new price makes it a lot more accessible for families, couples, etc. (there's also a family rate of $25 for 2 adults and 3 kids under 19). It's not just targeted at businessmen anymore.

They basically took the opposite approach to how I would have done it. You basically have a product that has the same overhead whether you have 1 customer or 100.

So they priced it to attract wealthy business people who most likely are going to charge it to the company or write it off as an expense. They should have targeted the people who will use it everyday, airline and airport employees.

I would have given all employees a special monthly pass that costs about the same as a TTC monthly pass, this insures these trains look full and busy.

After 3-6 months as these customers get use to the product and like the routine I would than raise the price. Ya you might lose some riders but hell you wouldn't have had those riders to begin with and at least you can gage what your price ceiling is.

That leaves us with the masses, why would anyone in their right mind pay more than a taxi rate to go to the airport. Offering an alternative product at a higher cost just won't fly, Whoever came up with the $30 should have their head examined.

Out of the gate they should have made it cheap, and had different tier pricing. ie families, couples, employees.

When the trains begin to overflow with too many people riding on the cheap that's when you start charging more.

• Like 1

They did have an employee pass, but it was like $400. It's going to drop down to about $140 now, which is basically a TTC pass.

Thepeople of this city are strange when it comes to things like this, I think its doomed. They should have made it cheap from the start instead of this upscale hogwash, its a freaking train to the airport!!!!!

Quoted from article

The target market for the UPE is the well-heeled business traveller for whom time is literally money travelling alone between Pearson and downtown Toronto, not the family of four heading off for a package holiday. For people travelling in groups of two or more, a $50 taxi ride will always be more convenient and cost effective than the UPE, even it could pick them up and drop them off at their doorstep. The UPE is for a different segment of the travel market, just like first class, business and economy.

Nothing to do with the city. This is all provincial nonsense.

And you're wrong on that. They originally marketed it to the elite businessman and nobody was riding it. It's been like 8 months of 5% capacity trains. The first class program has been a failure. That's why they're branching out, lowering it so groups and families can ride at prices competitive with Uber and taxis.

The problem is the route is so specific. They really overestimated their catchment area These business people are still just taking a limo/taxi because it's door to door. Getting dropped off at Union, then its a convoluted route to get to Front St or the TTC... takes a lot of extra time for these people for not much more.

Now they'll make it a reasonably attractive commuter services for people in Weston and even to/from the airport. We shall see.

All they need to do is double their already pathetic ridership to break even on revenue.

Nothing to do with the city. This is all provincial nonsense.

And you're wrong on that. They originally marketed it to the elite businessman and nobody was riding it. It's been like 8 months of 5% capacity trains. The first class program has been a failure. That's why they're branching out, lowering it so groups and families can ride at prices competitive with Uber and taxis.

The problem is the route is so specific. They really overestimated their catchment area These business people are still just taking a limo/taxi because it's door to door. Getting dropped off at Union, then its a convoluted route to get to Front St or the TTC... takes a lot of extra time for these people for not much more.

Now they'll make it a reasonably attractive commuter services for people in Weston and even to/from the airport. We shall see.

All they need to do is double their already pathetic ridership to break even on revenue.

I changed it around so you can understand me better. That was a quote from an article (2014) that I pasted to show what I screw it I can't bother typing anymore,

Bottom line, they NEVER should have aimed for the elite, it should have been transit for the masses to begin with.

Ah yeah, definitely. We agree there.

Like, this whole project started as what was supposed to be basically entirely private, and SNC Lavalin abandoned it after doing their own business case analysis and market studies, etc.

You think maybe that's a hint that there market they think is there might not be?

If SNC doesn't think they can operate this thing at a profit, why the **** would Dalton McGuinty think he can?

My 2 cents. I would never use it. Don't know too many people that I know that would. Unless I'm walking distance from where it's going. I still have to get to the place my transit or cab.

If I'm travelling on business, I'm not looking for a bus to save my boss $25 lol, I'm walking out into a cab like I'm big shit. It's with my family that id go out of my way to save $9, and that's only because I'm a cheapAss. You guys are right on.

My 2 cents. I would never use it. Don't know too many people that I know that would. Unless I'm walking distance from where it's going. I still have to get to the place my transit or cab.

Tourists! They need to hit the tourist hard!

If I'm travelling on business, I'm not looking for a bus to save my boss $25 lol, I'm walking out into a cab like I'm big shit. It's with my family that id go out of my way to save $9, and that's only because I'm a cheapAss. You guys are right on.

Bus? It's a "luxury" train.

All the cool cities have one.

(It's actually very nice, and if you're going to within a block of two of Union Station, it's perfect... but otherwise... =/)