Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

the owner's of the bakery were Mafioso, not sure if whoever currently owns them is still connected that way

His murder was a mob hit.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/02/17/cold-case-suspects-targeted-in-toronto-police-website.html

MAJOR COLD CASES

Franco Pizzimenti

On Feb. 2, 2002, Franco Pizzimenti, operator of the Commisso Bros. and Racco Italian Bakery near Keele St. and Eglinton Ave. W., was found dead in the business’s parking lot.

The 64-year-old had been shot several times, just after getting into his car that evening.

Two years earlier, Pizzimenti’s business partner Giuseppe (Joseph) Racco was shot to death outside another bakery he ran near Jane St. and Finch Ave. W.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

the owner's of the bakery were Mafioso, not sure if whoever currently owns them is still connected that way

His murder was a mob hit.

That bakery is on the do not EF around list! My yikes was for the 3 guys caught!

probably not the brightest bulbs considering they robbed a mobbed up bakery

You have to be really stupid to rob that bakery. Everyone knew it was Mobbed up.

My parents run a chinese take out at Jane/Wilson for years. That is the reason I went to York U.

LETS GO BLUE JAYS!!!

At this rate, we're going to have to hope Wayne is healthy enough after he plays the Leafs last few games to also be the Jays 4th starter this year. Most projections have us as the best offense in the MLB, and one of the worst pitching staffs, and there really isn't the minors depth for even backend starters. Should be fun!

First televised games are March 4th and 5th. In other news, my wife and kids are going to be out of town on March 4-6. Woop.

LETS GO BLUE JAYS!!!

At this rate, we're going to have to hope Wayne is healthy enough after he plays the Leafs last few games to also be the Jays 4th starter this year. Most projections have us as the best offense in the MLB, and one of the worst pitching staffs, and there really isn't the minors depth for even backend starters. Should be fun!

First televised games are March 4th and 5th. In other news, my wife and kids are going to be out of town on March 4-6. Woop.

This really scares me as we know without pitching it's very tough to win. Hopefully we stay close to add rentals for the playoffs

Our rotation right now (with bonus commentary)

1 - Stroman - yay! Love this kid, love everything about his personality and pitching. Trusting a 5'9 kid with injury history as your #1 is...less than ideal.

2 - Estrada - yay! So awesome last year. His homer rates were way below career averages despite playing in Rogers, so that'll go up. IMO, he'd be an awesome #4, a satisfactory #3 and will have to have the best year of his career to justify coming close to a #2 on a playoff team.

3 - RA Dickey - uh oh, we're at Dickey and only at #3? Seems like we have enough evidence that he isn't winning a Cy Young award anytime soon. I'm happy to have him eating innings in the rotation, but he'll give up runs.

4 - JA Happ - had a great year last year, so hopefully whatever he figured out keeps it up. A solid #4, so long as you have a bit of depth in case he was a 1-year wonder. On a negative note, his official name is "J.A." and calls himself "Jay" which is just terrible for reasons I can't explain.

5 - Aaron Sanchez - as we know, he was a reliever last year. Not a ton of pressure on a #5 starter, we'll see what he's got. I'm excited.

Overall, the rotation really isn't as terrible as I thought. Lack of top-end talent can be a real problem come playoff time, but no need to get ahead of ourselves. In a perfect world, we would have a true #1, and everyone else would slot nicely down one spot on the list (depending on how they look in spring training, Dickey or Sanchez might be the long man). I hate to point out that with AA in charge, we may well have a #1 guy, since he seemed to really go with the theory that with Bautista/Encarnacion in contract years, this was a big year for us. Shapiro seems to want to play the long game all the time, which is a good enough strategy, but doesn't work quite so well in the AL East as in the Central, IMO.

Depth:

- Jesse Chavez, Drew Hutchison. Good with both these guys - again, ideally they'd be one slot lower, either waiting for an injury in AAA or whatever, but both have shown the ability to start and pitch well, just need to do it more often. Hopefully at least one starts in AAA and gets a chance to figure things out in a lower pressure environment.

I think beyond Chavez, its VERY weak, as in Hutchinson is not good, and no one in AAA from what I have read.

I dont think we can assume with AA we would have had a #1 starter, thats a stretch. Best case scenario is that you might have had a Edwin for SP#2 deal, but even that is unlikely.

I had forgotten about JA "Jay". That bugs me too,

I really feel like Dickey is the perfect #3 guy for this team. They need him badly in a way, they need an innings guy which the others are not at all, and they are ok with a guy who gives up 4/5 a game, since they will hopefully score a ton.

I am really really nervous about this rotation. I wish they had given Gallardo a try over a guy like Happ, but Im sure management knows a lot more than I do.

Yeah, and Pittsburgh has worked some magic on more than a few starters - sometimes it sticks and sometimes it doesn't, but they seem to have excellent coaching there.

Definitely a stretch to suggest AA would've had a #1 guy, especially without giving up other roster players. Just seems like that would've at least been a major focus, whereas based on what Shapiro has said, I doubt it was even a consideration.

I felt the same about Gallardo, though everything I have read about him since signing has been less than positive, especially pitching in a good offensive environment with his low-strikeout numbers. He'd be a good addition but I'm not crying over missing out on him.

If I'm reading it right (quite possible I'm not), Baseball Prospectus' PECOTA projects the Jays to have the best offense in MLB and 19th-best pitching. Fangraphs has us 2nd in offense (to the Cubs) and 23rd in pitching.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/02/17/cold-case-suspects-targeted-in-toronto-police-website.html

MAJOR COLD CASES

Franco Pizzimenti

On Feb. 2, 2002, Franco Pizzimenti, operator of the Commisso Bros. and Racco Italian Bakery near Keele St. and Eglinton Ave. W., was found dead in the business’s parking lot.

The 64-year-old had been shot several times, just after getting into his car that evening.

Two years earlier, Pizzimenti’s business partner Giuseppe (Joseph) Racco was shot to death outside another bakery he ran near Jane St. and Finch Ave. W.

With this comissio talk I stop by for lunch today

In the parking lot now eating a veal sandwich

oh boy those Bautista comments has been burning the airways

his pride might be a little too strong

He outperformed his contract but when he signed it there wasn't any hometown discount as somebody on twitter pointed out

I like it. Doesn't create false hope. I'm sure his number will become public so he has to own it, and if it doesn't get done, then the fans at least have some form of complete information and can be angry/dissapointed/ok with it as such and they can aim their anger at the appropriate party.

his pride might be a little too strong

He outperformed his contract but when he signed it there wasn't any hometown discount as somebody on twitter pointed out

Absolutely. I remember the talk was that he has not earned the contract and way too much when he signed it

I absolutely love Bautista but his days maybe numbered

Absolutely. I remember the talk was that he has not earned the contract and way too much when he signed it

I absolutely love Bautista but his days maybe numbered

It might be the time to sell high...We have to believe he will start to decline soon.

honestly, I dont follow NL that closely, I didnt realize his avg was that low the last 2yrs. I just know before that he was an all star and MVP candidate. I dont mind taking guys who you think will bounce back, and Bruce has high upside in my mind. I knew he was highly paid but I had to check for how long, and its only this year and next as an option it looks like.

If Rogers is willing to spend the money, I am totally in favour of Bruce over Saunders. I might have preferred the $ go to a pitcher, but I have no prob taking on Bruce, as long as we arent giving up more than Saunders+middling prospect.