Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

a buddy of mine got a job at the globe & mail. I said keep looking since that is a dying business. Last year he got laid off after 2.5 years.

ya lot of them have a web presence but not sure how that converts into an economically viable business.

For example I have never touched a globe and mail newspaper(except when i go to jiffy lube and they give me one). However i read James Mirtle's articles, who is a globe and mail columnist..

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

Serge, whether you're being intentional or not, you're an idiot. And, yes, I'm resorting to name calling. I'd call you all the names you called Robyn Doolittle, but it's not worth my time.

It's like trying to discuss politics with a 3 year old, except 3 year olds actually listen once in a while.

I'm happy to continue this conversation with anyone but serge. You all have contributed to a worthwhile discussion, despite serge's attempts to reduce it to inane blabber.

in regular life grammatical errors annoy me as well...Not sure if Arp is being sarcastic, but I dont edit my posts..

I just write as what comes to my head..One of the reasons I have a bazillion posts on here..

I am not as articulate in my posts as Steve and Chris..But I also dont need to be..

I am writing like i talk, I am not a writer, however you will see in my upcoming blog, my writing style will be a lot more cleanier than my posts.

This post took 12 seconds to write..It could be 2 minutes if I edited it.

Serge, whether you're being intentional or not, you're an idiot. And, yes, I'm resorting to name calling. I'd call you all the names you called Robyn Doolittle, but it's not worth my time.

It's like trying to discuss politics with a 3 year old, except 3 year olds actually listen once in a while.

I'm happy to continue this conversation with anyone but serge. You all have contributed to a worthwhile discussion, despite serge's attempts to reduce it to inane blabber.

there you have it folks...Snobbish media types ignoring the common public and their views because it doesnt match their left wing agendas...

• Like 1

I'm not being sarcastic at all, I want to be better, and I know I'm not perfect. I don't get offended like you do when others point out my wrongs.

Also, no offence, but unlike you, I hear others opinions and consider them, instead of just jumping into arguments for the sake of being right. There is every possibility that I could be wrong about every opinion I have, or more correctly, I could change my opinion of things. You start on one path, and no matter what, refuse to even budge. Thats your perogative, but that's how people get lazy and do not evolve+mature.

even your small minded pea brain can see the difference in me calling Doolittle a name and you calling me an idiot right?

• Like 1

Oh I'm fcking horrible with grammar and typos. I'm far from perfect. But I was seriously just trying to let you know you were using the wrong word. I was not trying to be a dick.

no its cool...no worries on my end..I know I make up words and misspell all the time...thats part of the deal

The new vision for downtown Pickering. What do you think, Serge?

http://www.channel12...ew-city-centre/

thats interesting...We dont really have a downtown in Pickering, but I am all for developing more things and growing the city and having to travel to Toronto less for certain things.

20 years is a long time though..

All city planning is over the long term. Even when you make an Official Plan for a City, it takes years to conceive and write, another couple of years to get it processed and approved by the OMB and so on. Our visions are a long way off. You often tell me I'm dreaming up utopias that will never work in the real world. Well, that's kind of the point. You create a document, a framework, a vision for what you (the population of your city, collectively) want your city to be like in the future, and you try to implement policies and bylaws that promote that vision.

And I agree with you, the key is to provide jobs within your municipality. You're not going to see these freestanding bedroom communities for much longer. Mixing uses is the answer to a century of Euclidian Zoning, which went in the face of thousands of years of city building. Even if we rely on the car, there's no reason to have to segregate uses so much anymore. We're still not going to put dirty industry beside quaint neighbourhoods, but we'll put clean industry, offices, doctor's offices, retail, etc, mixed in, or closer to residential. Even if the car continues to dominate, driving fewer miles is still a good start towards sustainability.

ummm..newspapers are dying a slow death..I havent read a newspaper in probably 3 years...Where as I would read one everyday, sometimes two papers a day..We dont need them..Social media gives us instant information....I can have the views of 1000s of people instantly , rather than one politically biased journalist on a wild good chase..

i can read 10 articles , blogs, opinions, reviews on a subject without having to listen to the MSM

Ummm pretty much everything you described shares every negative quality you assigned to Ms Doolittle. The difference between her and most crap online is hers contains actual sources, cross-checkers and is subect to significantly less bias.

Yes it is. I know people in Canada and UK use it to watch US netflix and I've used it to watch UK Netflix.

You need to use google chrome. Search for hola extension and enable your netflix to us.

Hmmm the first time I thought you meant "hula" which I forgot isn't actually the name of "hulu". So, either you've made two misspellings in a 4-letter word twice, or I was being stupid. I definitely know people who use US Netflix here, so I will check out "hola". Can I do it with Firefox, or only Chrome?

Guys, if you see me making a grammatical error over and over again, please point it out. In fact, feel free to critique my writing in any way. I know sometimes my posts are rambling, because thats how I talk, and also, I have a tendency to think faster than I type, so I make some errors. I would rather you tell me on here and I learn for other more important moments.

I caught myself emailing a client this morning with your, instead of you're, and was about to send DannyG a thank you message. So thanks Dan!

Haha, your welcome.

And I agree with you, the key is to provide jobs within your municipality. You're not going to see these freestanding bedroom communities for much longer. Mixing uses is the answer to a century of Euclidian Zoning, which went in the face of thousands of years of city building. Even if we rely on the car, there's no reason to have to segregate uses so much anymore. We're still not going to put dirty industry beside quaint neighbourhoods, but we'll put clean industry, offices, doctor's offices, retail, etc, mixed in, or closer to residential. Even if the car continues to dominate, driving fewer miles is still a good start towards sustainability.

I love your perspective on this stuff, but if you're going to throw in a term like Euclidian Zoning, we're going to need a glossary...

All city planning is over the long term. Even when you make an Official Plan for a City, it takes years to conceive and write, another couple of years to get it processed and approved by the OMB and so on. Our visions are a long way off. You often tell me I'm dreaming up utopias that will never work in the real world. Well, that's kind of the point. You create a document, a framework, a vision for what you (the population of your city, collectively) want your city to be like in the future, and you try to implement policies and bylaws that promote that vision.

Create more meetings, create more studies+commissions, create more jobs.

Who says we aren't under a communist system?

ya whats with the Euclidian Zoning crap, speak english to us commoners please..

Does the Pickering Power Plant and the Oshawa Ford Plant qualify as dirty industry?

The Ford plant employs a lot of people, most of them living in Oshawa.

Danny,

Yeah search Hola Unblocker in Firefox add ons.

Arp,

When you travel and need access to like betting sites you can use this as well.

All it is is a proxy to allow you to unblock sites that are blocked by the country your in or if your school or work blocks sites.

It won't give you things like netflix for free. You still need to be a member but you can access other countries VPN(?) to gain access.

Danny,

Yeah search Hola Unblocker in Firefox add ons.

Arp,

When you travel and need access to like betting sites you can use this as well.

All it is is a proxy to allow you to unblock sites that are blocked by the country your in or if your school or work blocks sites.

It won't give you things like netflix for free. You still need to be a member but you can access other countries VPN(?) to gain access.

thats cool..You probably wouldnt know this since you arent Canadian..

Anyone else know, if I need to cancel my account and create a new one? I have lots of US addresses I can use as my wifes family is there..

I think in the case of netflix its the actual account if I m not mistaken rather than your IP address that determines the content..

Arp I think if you used that in Italy you could of went on bet 365..

Steve can you log into Pokerstars with that?

Create more meetings, create more studies+commissions, create more jobs.

Who says we aren't under a communist system?

I don't really know what this means, but it takes a ton of time to get it done because there are a ton of meetings and notices required by law to allow for public participation in the most democratic way possible.

I love your perspective on this stuff, but if you're going to throw in a term like Euclidian Zoning, we're going to need a glossary...

ya whats with the Euclidian Zoning crap, speak english to us commoners please..

Does the Pickering Power Plant and the Oshawa Ford Plant qualify as dirty industry?

The Ford plant employs a lot of people, most of them living in Oshawa.

Sorry, Euclidian Zoning just refers an extremely rigid form of zoning. Basically, it calls for a very rigid separation of land uses. It started with a case for a town named Euclid, in Ohio. It was a Supreme Court case in the early 1900s, IIRC, and was the first to permit the rigid separation. It has basically formed most North American cities today, with the exception of the older parts, which tended to be more mixed use. It's why you see these exclusively residential neighbourhoods, with all commercial contained all in one major grouping. No commentary about whether it is good or not here, just that it's a huge reason why our cities are the way they are now.

===

The power plant probably is.

There isn't exactly a lot of dirty industry around anymore. I would bet Ford plants are pretty clean.

It's kind of an extreme, but my point was that our zoning will be relaxing a lot over time, it already has in older, denser cities, to allow residential, commercial, and offices in the same buildings, even.

I was just saying that Pickering is smart in going for a mixed-use core, where people can work, and live closer.

thats cool..You probably wouldnt know this since you arent Canadian..

Anyone else know, if I need to cancel my account and create a new one? I have lots of US addresses I can use as my wifes family is there..

I think in the case of netflix its the actual account if I m not mistaken rather than your IP address that determines the content..

Arp I think if you used that in Italy you could of went on bet 365..

Steve can you log into Pokerstars with that?

Use your current netflix account. I watch UK Netflix, two friends use it to watch American Netflix. I'm not a computer engineer but I assume it's proxy that gives you an an appropriate IP address to get past blocked content. Use it or dint but it's not illegal. Google surely wouldn't put it in their store if it was. It's been in business magazines as a valid way to access sites when traveling on business etc. Just get the addon/extension and enjoy.

Ya I m in favour of that for sure..There has been talk for many years about bringing an airport to Pickering..Lots of opposition to it..

Not sure where we stand on that right now..

The GTA is growing immensely and I think another airport can be useful, especially for domestic flights. Living in Durham region and taking a flight to Montreal, you are almost better off taking the train or even driving...

serious question:

I am assuming all that planning is done withing Pickering..Do the various cities and towns in the GTA get together and work together? For example would a planner from Brampton , Toronto, Markham sit in on those meetings..I am sure they would have a lot to add

Zach we differ in certain opinions on such, but you have opened up my curiosity into this area and i wish you the best of luck in this career...Just dont take my cars away ok!!!

Use your current netflix account. I watch UK Netflix, two friends use it to watch American Netflix. I'm not a computer engineer but I assume it's proxy that gives you an an appropriate IP address to get past blocked content. Use it or dint but it's not illegal. Google surely wouldn't put it in their store if it was. It's been in business magazines as a valid way to access sites when traveling on business etc. Just get the addon/extension and enjoy.

I am just trying to figure out how it works...I watch netflix on my apple tv and on my Ipad as an app...How does the hola thing work on an app and not through a browser..Maybe it doesnt.

Ya I m in favour of that for sure..There has been talk for many years about bringing an airport to Pickering..Lots of opposition to it..

Not sure where we stand on that right now..

The GTA is growing immensely and I think another airport can be useful, especially for domestic flights. Living in Durham region and taking a flight to Montreal, you are almost better off taking the train or even driving...

serious question:

I am assuming all that planning is done withing Pickering..Do the various cities and towns in the GTA get together and work together? For example would a planner from Brampton , Toronto, Markham sit in on those meetings..I am sure they would have a lot to add

Zach we differ in certain opinions on such, but you have opened up my curiosity into this area and i wish you the best of luck in this career...Just dont take my cars away ok!!!

I would take the train over flying every time for train rides as short as, I don't know, 5 or 6 hours. Usually at that point, flying is faster, but more of a hassle, and less comfortable to me.

Flight to MTL is probably about an hour gate to gate. Think you're leaving your house at least 90 minutes before the flight, maybe more. Plus probably another 30 minutes to get your baggage, plus finding ground transportation to you final destination which is probably another 30 minutes away. You're looking at probably 3.5 hours or so from your front door to your destination. That might even be a little generous. I imagine you can catch a VIA from some station to the east, maybe certain trains stop at Pickering or Oshawa or something, I'm not really sure, but likely easier to get to than Pearson or Bishop. Plus you really only need to be there 5-10 minutes before the train leaves. Then in most cities, and certainly in Montreal, you end up right in the heart of downtown, close to wherever most people are going when they're traveling. Short cab right, or even a short walk to your hotel, etc. Train trip to MTL is probably 5 hours? 6? So flights are faster, but I find the train so much more convenient, and so much more enjoyable.

You can plug your laptop in, use the internet, you get a lot more leg room, you can walk around. Even on some trains (not sure about to MTL) there'll be a dining car and/or a bar car. Train travel isn't as elegant as it was 100 years ago, but to me, it's still far superior to flying.

For short flights, like Ottawa-Montreal, flying takes longer.

Oh, and train is usually far cheaper.

Oh, and compared to driving. If you are going to Montreal, you almost certainly don't want or need a car to get around, unless you are going to be in the suburbs or outskirts for whatever reason. A tiny percentage of the people who travel there, I'm sure. Plus parking adds to the cost of gas.

Also, the train is the most environmentally responsible option, even when we're running diesel trains (they're almost entirely electrified in Europe.)

-----

I don't think the airport is a go.

-----

I've told you 90 times that nobody is taking your car away.

But, you agree that Toronto is going to keep growing, as do all experts. We can't build bigger or more highways into downtown, we can't widen Queen St. or King St. or Yonge St., etc. That's why it is incredibly important for us to invest in transit NOW, planning for future growth, and then some.

I am just trying to figure out how it works...I watch netflix on my apple tv and on my Ipad as an app...How does the hola thing work on an app and not through a browser..Maybe it doesnt.

I got it downloaded, but I couldn't watch a video on NBC.com still.