Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

From the discussion I understand that there is a choice. From by beliefs Zach is in a minority, which is fine. He should be able to sustain his beliefs and way of life.

I just understand it to be that Zach and his planners will allocate money and resources to benefit the "walkers".

When I mention less bike lanes, improving highways it's shot down. I bet more people use the DVp, Gardiner expressway and the 401 then use the transit system. I maybe wrong.

Also spend money on things like GO expansion, subway expansion. I'm understanding (maybe wrong) that Arp s family and mine aren't included in Zach s Toronto. Even though we are the majority. Sure having choice is good. But at the expense of what?

Again I'm all for the environment and helping the greater good. But I can't fathom a lifestyle where we have no car. Even one car is hard to imagine

Should we be planning cities, adjusting existing plans , starting new initiatives to please the DINKs.

**dink. Double Income No Kids

How about a huge percentage of the population who is old, handicapped and special needs? A lifestyle of car less is not possible.

Here is something that my family did though to be less car dependent. We used to live in Whitby. Which is much further from the city , my parents, work then now.

I drive a lot less. But at the expense of a more expensive house.

I would love to live in Forest Hill or Avenue/Lawrence area. But the house that I like is $1.5 to $2 million.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

Car sharing programs are trying to fill that gap though, where instead of paying to maintain and store a car, you just use one when you need it. It's about as convenient anything else.

Have you ever actually used a car share program? I use one in ottawa. It is not convenient. Sometimes the cars are booked, sometimes you need the car longer and you can't because it's booked, sometimes the car isn't even there when you book it. I know tons of people who also use ride share and say it sucks.

I likely will eventually be getting a car bc ride share is such a joke. Please use facts when stating things rather then just assuming your view is right.

You have to stop assuming your views are right to fit your arguments and that everyone else should or want to live in your minority views. Just because you read books and write a novel every post doesn't mean everyone in the future should live in your non car hippy world.

Ps Bike lanes are dumb. (Just my view, I do not think everyone should get politicians to jump on my idea)

Here we go again. We lost power 2 hours and counting.

With how windy it was last night surprised more power didn't go out. I guess all the tree branches that would normally be knocked down by wind were already taken out by the ice storm.

With how windy it was last night surprised more power didn't go out. I guess all the tree branches that would normally be knocked down by wind were already taken out by the ice storm.

Ya. We have been here since 1980. I don't recall a worse winter. Still not even February.

Ya. We have been here since 1980. I don't recall a worse winter. Still not even February.

I keep getting asked by my Step Daughters when Winter will end. This is their 2nd Winter here and it doesn't go over well when I say that it's still pretty early in the season.

In Hong Kong where they are from they issue cold weather alerts when it gets to 15 degrees

I keep getting asked by my Step Daughters when Winter will end. This is their 2nd Winter here and it doesn't go over well when I say that it's still pretty early in the season.

In Hong Kong where they are from they issue cold weather alerts when it gets to 15 degrees

My wife who is from California is now on her 13th winter. If this was the first one she might have ran back home

I don't know about you guys, but when I was in my 20's+30's, I didnt mind winter at all. Now, I despise it, and literally count down to warmer weather.

Love the summer.

I said this elsewhere, if I could, I would live in San Diego/San Jose. I cant even imagine how great it would be to have warmth+sunshine year round.

I don't know about you guys, but when I was in my 20's+30's, I didnt mind winter at all. Now, I despise it, and literally count down to warmer weather.

Love the summer.

I said this elsewhere, if I could, I would live in San Diego/San Jose. I cant even imagine how great it would be to have warmth+sunshine year round.

I may end up in California.

I may end up in California.

I know your wife is from there, but honestly, I could never leave my life here in terms of friends+family. Not to mention, my business. So for me its not really a reality, but a nice dream.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

PS- You'd go crazy without the Leafs. :)

I know your wife is from there, but honestly, I could never leave my life here in terms of friends+family. Not to mention, my business. So for me its not really a reality, but a nice dream.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

PS- You'd go crazy without the Leafs. :)

Trust me that's the dilemma. Ideally I like to be in a position where I live in both places.

Come on, you'd be living the life out in Cali. I assume you'd be retired, or at least continuing a job where you make your own schedule... 4pm Leafs games... Center Ice... you'd be set.

... 4pm Leafs games... Center Ice... you'd be set.

Thats one of my fav parts of Vegas/west coast, most of the games being from 4-7pm. If I was retired or when Im on vacation, its just awesome.

Thats one of my fav parts of Vegas/west coast, most of the games being from 4-7pm. If I was retired or when Im on vacation, its just awesome.

I am the opposite because I am such a night owl. Love 10pm west coast games

I am the opposite because I am such a night owl. Love 10pm west coast games

That's the beauty of it. Early games over by 7 or 8, still time for the bar, or dinner and a movie, etc.

I don't really want to get into any sort of protracted discussion again, but this article responds quite well to some of the things Serge was saying during our discussion of car-optional cities.

It's the, "you don't have kids yet, what do you know" retort. They even say something that Serge told me, almost word for word, that "the reforms I was proposing would be fine for people like me who are “young, carefree, and without children”".

Anyways, read it or not, but if you do, maybe just think about it for a minute or two.

Which Came First, Children or Cars?

Oh god, is that an article, or some idiots late night blog post? Come on Z.

1. I don't know who is going around saying people without kids dont have any say in our society. Even Serge hasn't said that. I think what we are saying, and this guy doesn't hear, is that its different when you have kids. And yes, to me, your responsibilities and your maturity is different when you have kids. Argue it all you want, but just come find me the day or the year after your first is born, and then tell me I was wrong.

2. The fact that he thinks he can live life like his grandparents did before the 1950's give me a great illustration of how little this person actually knows about the 30's and 40's. I wont even bother arguing the point.

3. I wish I had a time machine, so I could forward 30 years into that guys life, and find him in his 60's, and ask how it all worked out for him.

There, just needed to say that.