Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

The entire Danforth is literally a subway line.

I dont get it, whats the point your making?

Is it that for someone like Serge who wants to go to the Danforth, he should park for free at one end and take the subway to the closest station, then get off, and walk to the place he wants to go to? Or he should take the Go Train from his house to the subway, and then get on the subway?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

I dont get it, whats the point your making?

Is it that for someone like Serge who wants to go to the Danforth, he should park for free at one end and take the subway to the closest station, then get off, and walk to the place he wants to go to? Or he should take the Go Train from his house to the subway, and then get on the subway?

with two small kids, one that is 2 years old...That requires a diaper bag and a stroller..

The entire Danforth is literally a subway line.

that is correct. Have I ever taken the subway to go to somewhere on the danforth. Never

In fact when i use to work at avenue and bloor I negotiated a parking space so I would drive into work instead of using the subway. The same when i worked at university and dundas

Transit sucks

It's about choice. If you choose to drive instead of using transit then zip it when it comes to traffic.

I agree to this to a certain extent..I can live with the traffic, sure we complain about it, but the problem i have is accessibility..

We like to as a family go downtown, enjoy harbourfront, walk around the Eaton Centre...

We love going to the St lawrence market in the weekend and do some shopping...Its not happening unless i can drive there, and find suitable parking..

If the Urban Planner's MO is to shut out the millions of families that cant afford to live downtown, or choose not to, then thats fine...Toronto can be a city full of DINKS...

DINKS is an acronym...

It's about choice. If you choose to drive instead of using transit then zip it when it comes to traffic.

Ok, well then, how about if I choose to buy a car and you dont, you dont get to ask for Subway and Mass Transit systems?

• Like 1

the reason i choose to live in Toronto was so that I don't have to take over a hour to drive home.

the reason i choose to live in Toronto was so that I don't have to take over a hour to drive home.

I respect these choices..

I used to live in Whitby..Which for those that dont know is 20 minutes East of pickering...The traffic on the 401 getting home was brutal usually..

We moved to Pickering to be closer to parents and avoid some traffic...Where we live now, there is absolutely no traffic to get home during rush hour..It starts right after our exit..

I could of had a bigger house in Whitby, but I love Pickering..

If it was solely about big house and land I can live in Bowmanville, Clarington....Its a give and take.

We nearly brought a house near your area but decided on a new house at the port union go station. Took the go maybe 3 times and hated it.

After 1.5 years we moved to where we are now

We nearly brought a house near your area but decided on a new house at the port union go station. Took the go maybe 3 times and hated it.

Ya the GO is good for me as a novelty, to take with Kids once in a while..But i dont think I could do it every day.

by the way..I live 5 minutes from the Port union Go station

You can't bitch about parking and traffic if you choose to live outside the city. There are dozens of reports that show that it's not cheaper to live out there, all things considered. You do it for a yard, and because our society has been brainwashed by the automotive industry and the "American Dream" of an incredibly wasteful single detached home and two cars in the driveway.

I'm sorry Serge, but regardless of how much you like your suburbs, you have to accept that it's a trade off.

And Arp, yeah, I'm saying that if he can't find parking, he should explore one of the various other options available for something extremely accessible. People, and not just Serge need to get over this car dependence. I'm not saying to get rid oft our car, but learn to use various modes of transport. It's a whole city wide epidemic too where we only value subways and nothing else. BRT, LRT, local bus, streetcar, all perfectly reasonable modes of transit but people are stuck up on transfers like they think their destination should be connected by a direct line from their house.

And that's another thing. People have gotten way too accustomed to parking 8 feet from their destination. People flat out refuse to walk a few blocks anymore.

And on that, parking cruising is a HUGE problem downtown. It's probably a majority of the congestion downtown. San Francisco has developed a parking program where price is based on demand. The mandate is to price it so that there's one open spot on each block practically the entire time. The results: overall price of parking has gone down, and cruising for a parking spot has basically been eliminated. You just look on your smartphone for open spots and go there.

I agree to this to a certain extent..I can live with the traffic, sure we complain about it, but the problem i have is accessibility..

We like to as a family go downtown, enjoy harbourfront, walk around the Eaton Centre...

We love going to the St lawrence market in the weekend and do some shopping...Its not happening unless i can drive there, and find suitable parking..

If the Urban Planner's MO is to shut out the millions of families that cant afford to live downtown, or choose not to, then thats fine...Toronto can be a city full of DINKS...

DINKS is an acronym...

Children and strollers are permitted on public transit. You're still making a choice to drive.

You can't bitch about parking and traffic if you choose to live outside the city. There are dozens of reports that show that it's not cheaper to live out there, all things considered. You do it for a yard, and because our society has been brainwashed by the automotive industry and the "American Dream" of an incredibly wasteful single detached home and two cars in the driveway.

I'm sorry Serge, but regardless of how much you like your suburbs, you have to accept that it's a trade off.

And Arp, yeah, I'm saying that if he can't find parking, he should explore one of the various other options available for something extremely accessible. People, and not just Serge need to get over this car dependence. I'm not saying to get rid oft our car, but learn to use various modes of transport. It's a whole city wide epidemic too where we only value subways and nothing else. BRT, LRT, local bus, streetcar, all perfectly reasonable modes of transit but people are stuck up on transfers like they think their destination should be connected by a direct line from their house.

And that's another thing. People have gotten way too accustomed to parking 8 feet from their destination. People flat out refuse to walk a few blocks anymore.

And on that, parking cruising is a HUGE problem downtown. It's probably a majority of the congestion downtown. San Francisco has developed a parking program where price is based on demand. The mandate is to price it so that there's one open spot on each block practically the entire time. The results: overall price of parking has gone down, and cruising for a parking spot has basically been eliminated. You just look on your smartphone for open spots and go there.

It really has not much to do with a yard...I barely use the yard especially in the winter. Its about safety, better quality of life, schools, parks, accessibility to kids activities..Day care, hockey, the list goes on and on and on.

Your utopian society has single 25 year old people that have no problems walking, taking subways....People have kids, people are old..They cant walk...Imagine taking an 8 year old goalie to hockey practice riding subways and street cars..

I am pretty sure your view will change in 10 years , when you are married and maybe have a couple of kids...Downtown is not kid friendly AT ALL...

Children and strollers are permitted on public transit. You're still making a choice to drive.

Have you been on a street car in downtown Toronto with a stroller during a busy time..Good luck

And Arp, yeah, I'm saying that if he can't find parking, he should explore one of the various other options available for something extremely accessible.

Im going to invite you to my house, my office and if you like, about 10-20 of my friends who do not live downtown. Then your going to tell me how its "extremely accessible" to travel around the city, the GTA. I agree with you on many of your points, but the argument that the mass transit is easily accessible is not even close to being true IMO.

Also, if I choose to drive, and I have to live with all the headaches of driving anyway, can I please have my taxdollars back for funding your transit system?

Ok, well then, how about if I choose to buy a car and you dont, you dont get to ask for Subway and Mass Transit systems?

I'm not following your logic.

I'm not following your logic.

I buy a car. I complain about traffic, and I want more roads.

Your viewpoint was that I (Serge) should zip it about traffic if I make the choice to buy a car, I have to live with what that entails and not look for the city/govt to improve it.

Well, my viewpoint is that since I have to accept my fate, then those who choose not to buy a car should stop complaining about lack of public transit, and just walk/bike/hitch. Charge the actual cost to take a subway, and stop asking me to subsidize your train ride.

• Like 1

Have you been on a street car in downtown Toronto with a stroller during a busy time..Good luck

I never said it was easy or fun. It's a choice. You choose a car over a streetcar. You lose the headache that comes with public transit but you gain the traffic/parking headache.

Im going to invite you to my house, my office and if you like, about 10-20 of my friends who do not live downtown. Then your going to tell me how its "extremely accessible" to travel around the city, the GTA. I agree with you on many of your points, but the argument that the mass transit is easily accessible is not even close to being true IMO.

Also, if I choose to drive, and I have to live with all the headaches of driving anyway, can I please have my taxdollars back for funding your transit system?

Can i bring 20 people too...?

How is Zach going to get to your house?

:)

I buy a car. I complain about traffic, and I want more roads.

Your viewpoint was that I (Serge) should zip it about traffic if I make the choice to buy a car, I have to live with what that entails and not look for the city/govt to improve it.

Well, my viewpoint is that since I have to accept my fate, then those who choose not to buy a car should stop complaining about lack of public transit, and just walk/bike/hitch. Charge the actual cost to take a subway, and stop asking me to subsidize your train ride.

By making public transit more accessible you're encouraging more people to use it. This should help the traffic/parking problem some.