• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

The NFL is one of the most succesful businesses of all time...They put on a great show...

I try to be a good Canadian, I try to promote the CFL , but lets face it ..Its mickey mouse compared to the NFL..

The NFL game last night dwarfed the Grey Cup in excitement and attention..

Again I hate to say this but my cousin was over last night, and when the Mounties were bringing the Grey Cup down the stairs before the end of the game, it looked like a Saturday Night Live skit.. His words..but i had to agree

The NFL is primetime, we dont have anything like that here in football...its such a crazy experience..

Having said that, the Bills game this weekend at Rogers Centre isnt sold out, they have trouble selling them...The Rogers centre is boring, no atmosphere especially for Football....

I wonder if ProLine would have to stop allowing betting on NFL games if Toronto gets a franchise.

Thats interesting..I know the NBA had issues..But the NHL doesnt seem to have a problem with it...

Thats interesting..I know the NBA had issues..But the NHL doesnt seem to have a problem with it...

The NBA made it a requirement in order to grant a franchise in Canada.

Yes, the CFL is more about tradition while the NFL is all about hype and Bruno Mars.

Agreed..But hype is exciting...

I dont know who the Sheepdogs are(they opened the event) and the half time show was Hedley( i heard their songs)...

Agreed..But hype is exciting...

I dont know who the Sheepdogs are(they opened the event) and the half time show was Hedley( i heard their songs)...

The sheepdogs were at Don Cherry's once.

Serge, you haven't given a single reason why having an NFL team would benefit the city.

Not sure I mentioned that it needs to benefit the city..If I did, mistaken...I will be great for Toronto Sports fans..Football fans...The millions of people that follow the NFL..

It will also advertise our city even more..Before the Jays, there was a lot of people that didnt realize where Toronto was...Its a great form of promotion..

Im not sure of the financial consequences, but I am sure it would create a lot of jobs and would help the economy..

Bottom line as a sports fan, its a no brainer to have the greatest sports league in your city..

Serge, you haven't given a single reason why having an NFL team would benefit the city.

Increased tourism.

Increase property tax base.

Increased economic activity that generates sales, excise and income taxes.

Increased civic pride. Municipal governments try to do a lot of things on this front.

The reality of course is that the stadium will probably be built outside of Toronto on land where they are getting a concession to not have to pay property taxes.

Not sure I mentioned that it needs to benefit the city..If I did, mistaken...I will be great for Toronto Sports fans..Football fans...The millions of people that follow the NFL..

It will also advertise our city even more..Before the Jays, there was a lot of people that didnt realize where Toronto was...Its a great form of promotion..

Im not sure of the financial consequences, but I am sure it would create a lot of jobs and would help the economy..

Bottom line as a sports fan, its a no brainer to have the greatest sports league in your city..

A lot of jobs... On 8 days a year...

Increased tourism.

Increase property tax base.

Increased economic activity that generates sales, excise and income taxes.

Increased civic pride. Municipal governments try to do a lot of things on this front.

The reality of course is that the stadium will probably be built outside of Toronto on land where they are getting a concession to not have to pay property taxes.

What's wrong with the Skydome?

lots of construction jobs to build that stadium. If it wasn't for construction, ontario would be in a recession right now.

Good point.

If that's the metric though, we should be building subways all over. :)

Have you given a single reason that it would be a detriment to the city? I feel like you guys are being argumentative because it's Serge, not because you are actually against an NFL team in Toronto.

I think an NFL team would be a no-brainer for the City of Toronto if they could get it done. It would absolutely bring in money from other provinces. The NFL actually has a pretty big following in Canada (Much bigger than the NBA), and as the only option in the Canadian Market, it would be a hot ticket, and a travel destination for a lot of people.

I'd be happy to hear your argument against it.

• Like 1

I don't really have one, except I'd prefer government money not go to a stadium plan unless it has a clearly defined revenue generator associated with it. I'm in class, so tough to go into detail.

Would governments continue to use tax dollars to Subsidize sports teams if they didn't think it was profitable and beneficial to their cities in the long run?

Governments do a lot of really stupid things. Subsidizing pro sports is almost always a really really bad move by governments.

Governments do a lot of really stupid things. Subsidizing pro sports is almost always a really really bad move by governments.

Rob Ford, for one, would hop right on the gravy train he says he hates so much for however many billions it took to get an NFL team in Toronto. It could be the worst thing in the world for the city, but he'd be all over it...