Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

I will reiterate...This has NOTHING to do with what you think of Rob Ford politically, personally, emotionally and financially.

This has to do with Democracy...The people vote the mayor..The people decide..Its clearly states that the councillors have no power to oust the mayor..

But they basically have done just that...

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

I really dont know all the details about municipal politics, but from what i understand they have no basis to oust the mayor..They havent ousted the mayor..

But they passed ridicolous motions to limit his powers...Took away his staff..Lowered his budget...

It was something which happen when I was working. A guy was VP of a major motion picture company. He lost his title and all the benefits that went with it. All he got to keep was his salary and a lot less work.

Would it bother you if you knew your kids doctor was a crack smoking raging alcoholic? Or the guy flying your plane? Your boss? Your kids teacher(s)? If your the boss, your employee(s). Just curious.

Again I am not arguing the fact that smoking crack is wrong...

If my kids doctor was smoking crack, i find a different doctor...If the guy flying my plane was he should be fired..

IF and here is the big part IF , it affected the job.

There is no proof from anyside that his drinking and drug use has affected his job..Even if it did, the people need to decide this..Not a bunch of weasels that I would crush with my skate.

Serge, why do you keep saying they aren't allowed to do this, when they clearly are allowed to do this?

Don't they have the right to limit his budget? It seems to me they clearly have the power to make these moves, but Ford keeps telling you that they dont, so your going on his and his teams words. Its within the scope of their powers, is it not?

Right or wrong is just an opinion. Council has the right to restrict the mayors budget and thats what they are doing. (from what i can tell)

Not a bunch of weasels that I would crush with my skate.

Oh my, why are you so mad about this? lol

The councillors weren't people appointed by their fathers, these are also elected officials. Don't they have the right to act on behalf of their constituents?

You know what argument I hate more than any other, and makes me despise Ford the most? That he keeps talking about other peoples problems. If your really man enough to own up to your problems, than stop excusing your actions by telling me how the others also were bad bad people. That's the first sign of a weak mind.

I dont trust any of them, but it doesnt make Ford look any better by constantly acting like a 7year old child and telling me Timmy did it first.

Serge, why do you keep saying they aren't allowed to do this, when they clearly are allowed to do this?

Don't they have the right to limit his budget? It seems to me they clearly have the power to make these moves, but Ford keeps telling you that they dont, so your going on his and his teams words. Its within the scope of their powers, is it not?

Right or wrong is just an opinion. Council has the right to restrict the mayors budget and thats what they are doing. (from what i can tell)

Who voted the mayor in?

The people..The people didnt vote to have him ousted..They couldnt do it legally so they are using tactics to essentially oust him...

City Council as representatives of the city of toronto voted to allow the mayor to select those on the executive councils, and those in charge and sitting on certain boards. When the mayor's judgment was called into question (and there can be NO argument that his judgement is in question!), the council voted to rescind those powers. Rob Ford has exactly the same amount of power in council as he did before all of this: one vote.

It's amazing that people are buying into ford's bullshit. "What did I REALLY do wrong". You lied, consorted with criminals, committed criminal offences by your own admission of buying illegal drugs, drinking and driving, etc.

Ford could have stopped any action by the councillors, when the deputy mayor approached him PRIVATELY on behalf of council and asked him to take some time off and go to rehab, then come back and resume his job. He refused. It's all on him...

Oh my, why are you so mad about this? lol

The councillors weren't people appointed by their fathers, these are also elected officials. Don't they have the right to act on behalf of their constituents?

You know what argument I hate more than any other, and makes me despise Ford the most? That he keeps talking about other peoples problems. If your really man enough to own up to your problems, than stop excusing your actions by telling me how the others also were bad bad people. That's the first sign of a weak mind.

I dont trust any of them, but it doesnt make Ford look any better by constantly acting like a 7year old child and telling me Timmy did it first.

The issue at hand is democracy..Not the fact that Ford is acting like a 7 year old child..

From the evidence we have Ford's personal problems havent affected his work..He has a great attendance record, and he has done a lot for the city..You can argue that fact, but even his detractors agree that his tax cutting policies have been favourable to the city..

Again lot of ifs here....But if you step back and look at the whole picture from the Fords side, its really bad...

Sure the councillors were voted in..How do we know thats what their constituients want? Did they vote?

If you think Ford's personal problems are an emergency , have an election today

Thats how democracy should work.

City Council as representatives of the city of toronto voted to allow the mayor to select those on the executive councils, and those in charge and sitting on certain boards. When the mayor's judgment was called into question (and there can be NO argument that his judgement is in question!), the council voted to rescind those powers. Rob Ford has exactly the same amount of power in council as he did before all of this: one vote.

It's amazing that people are buying into ford's bullshit. "What did I REALLY do wrong". You lied, consorted with criminals, committed criminal offences by your own admission of buying illegal drugs, drinking and driving, etc.

Ford could have stopped any action by the councillors, when the deputy mayor approached him PRIVATELY on behalf of council and asked him to take some time off and go to rehab, then come back and resume his job. He refused. It's all on him...

Thats all fine and good..But you are assuming, maybe correctly, that the people of Toronto as a whole agree to this non democratic form of ousting the mayor...Which essentially they are buy taking away his budget , his staff...

What would of happened if the Deputy Mayor was Doug Ford? I would be curious..They would of found another way , made up another law to limit Ford's powers.

What happens next time a deputy mayor, councillor, police chief is seen at a party over drinking? Are we going to have a special meeting to limit his/her powers?

What if its a drunk driving charge? Where do we draw the line?

Mel Lastman called Africans, essentially man eating animals...It was laughed off..

Who voted the mayor in?

The people..The people didnt vote to have him ousted..They couldnt do it legally so they are using tactics to essentially oust him...

lolol. ok brother.

I still dont understand why you refuse to see "the people" voted for the councillors too, and why the "this isnt legal" argument has no basis, but I give up. Enjoy.

lolol. ok brother.

I still dont understand why you refuse to see "the people" voted for the councillors too, and why the "this isnt legal" argument has no basis, but I give up. Enjoy.

No reason to give up..Its an argument that is being made all across the city. So you are assuming the PEOPLE are ok with what is happening..Maybe justifiably so..But we dont know for sure unless a vote is made..

You assume the people can agree with the councillors, because the left wing media says so...But I be willing to bet if an election is held today, the vote will be a LOT closer than the Toronto Star will have you believe...

No reason to give up..Its an argument that is being made all across the city. So you are assuming the PEOPLE are ok with what is happening..Maybe justifiably so..But we dont know for sure unless a vote is made..

You assume the people can agree with the councillors, because the left wing media says so...But I be willing to bet if an election is held today, the vote will be a LOT closer than the Toronto Star will have you believe...

When the councillors voted on the subways, did you get a call from a councillor asking what way you wanted them to vote? When councillors voted on bike lanes, did they ask you directly (hypothetically, of course, since you don't live in toronto: neither do I but I am affected by Ford since he's my boss at the end of the day)?

That's not how politics work. You elect an official. They represent you and you put your trust in them to do what's in your best interest. If one person acts in a way that would represent NOT being in the best interest of the people that elected them, it's incumbent on the voting block as a whole to protect the citizenry of the city. That's what's happened here.

It's a long political argument that goes back to John Stuart Mill's 'On Liberty'. We surrender our individual power to government to act in our best interests.

When the councillors voted on the subways, did you get a call from a councillor asking what way you wanted them to vote? When councillors voted on bike lanes, did they ask you directly (hypothetically, of course, since you don't live in toronto: neither do I but I am affected by Ford since he's my boss at the end of the day)?

That's not how politics work. You elect an official. They represent you and you put your trust in them to do what's in your best interest. If one person acts in a way that would represent NOT being in the best interest of the people that elected them, it's incumbent on the voting block as a whole to protect the citizenry of the city. That's what's happened here.

It's a long political argument that goes back to John Stuart Mill's 'On Liberty'. We surrender our individual power to government to act in our best interests.

I actually studied John Stuart Mill and read On liberty in my political Science class at York....I agree with this argument that they are elected to represent the people...And a lot of what you say is correct and I agree to..

I just think voting on subways , taxes and bike lanes are different..Those are platforms that a lot of these guys run on..Maybe they are voted in based on their political views on the subject..

But when they are making unprecented, possibly illegal moves then I think the people need to be involved..Referendum's are a part of democracy and happen all the time...

I dont think the citizens of Don Valley East elected Mr Weasel Minnan-Wong to act like a 7year old and turn his chair when the mayor is speaking..

The Mayor is admittedly a 7 year old in a 300 lb body, but the actions of the councillors are worse IMO..

I am not disagreeing with your general notions..Just the applications and the politics of it all...

Politics really interested me in my youth, and one of the reasons I graduated with a Political Science Major at York.

This issue has refueled my interest in politics, as well as lots of people I believe.

We have laws in this country even protecting murderers, rapists and the worst horrible criminals...There is a due process, a justice system.

I dont think due process has been followed here. Thats all..

Yo Serge, why do you still believe everything these idiots are telling you?

"I haven't had a drink in 3 weeks"

"I haven't smoked crack in over a year" ... TPS releases information saying the notorious crack video is from February.

Every single thing this guy has said has been a lie. How do you not see this? He keeps conceding only the points that he thinks have been proven. Next he's going to say he hasn't smoked crack since February and act like we should all be proud of him because he's gone 9 whole months!

Every time he gets accused of something, he denies it, then it gets proven true, and he admits it as if he had been admitting it all along.

He's been behaving like a complete child in council and in public ever since the shit hit the fan. I can't think of a reason anyone would ever need to run across a crowded council chambers ever. It makes no sense. He's completely lost it. Now he's starving for more attention, doing all these interviews, perpetuating his own lies, and just making things worse for everyone.

It's time he gets the hell out of here and this city can go on with governing itself.

Yo Serge, why do you still believe everything these idiots are telling you?

"I haven't had a drink in 3 weeks"

"I haven't smoked crack in over a year" ... TPS releases information saying the notorious crack video is from February.

Every single thing this guy has said has been a lie. How do you not see this? He keeps conceding only the points that he thinks have been proven. Next he's going to say he hasn't smoked crack since February and act like we should all be proud of him because he's gone 9 whole months!

Every time he gets accused of something, he denies it, then it gets proven true, and he admits it as if he had been admitting it all along.

He's been behaving like a complete child in council and in public ever since the shit hit the fan. I can't think of a reason anyone would ever need to run across a crowded council chambers ever. It makes no sense. He's completely lost it. Now he's starving for more attention, doing all these interviews, perpetuating his own lies, and just making things worse for everyone.

It's time he gets the hell out of here and this city can go on with governing itself.

You missed most of my points.

No, I chose to ignore your point because I felt it wouldn't be nice for me to straight up tell you that you didn't understand democracy, and Bob and Arp covered that part well.

Lol. Ok.

Leafs are winning. I m happy.

Serge, how close are you to Altona and Steeles?

My brother in law is a chiro at Altona+Finch. Monday night my back went into spasm again, and I rushed to my bro-in-law last night.

Drive by Altona+Steeles intersection, and there is a big accident. Fire truck, ambulance, lots of flashing lights. But its dark, so hard to see what's going on.

An hour or so later, I drive by the same intersection. Everything has been moved, except there is a huge flatbed tow truck, and its angled to try to pick up something from the street corner, Im assuming its one of the cars in the accident. As I drive close, I realize the last "machine" being picked up and towed away is.......a Speedboat! And its huge, and its been smashed on its side. The view of this speedboat, by itself, on a roadside ready to be towed was too bizarre. I wish I had a camera that could have taken that picture and done it justice.

Serge, how close are you to Altona and Steeles?

My brother in law is a chiro at Altona+Finch. Monday night my back went into spasm again, and I rushed to my bro-in-law last night.

Drive by Altona+Steeles intersection, and there is a big accident. Fire truck, ambulance, lots of flashing lights. But its dark, so hard to see what's going on.

An hour or so later, I drive by the same intersection. Everything has been moved, except there is a huge flatbed tow truck, and its angled to try to pick up something from the street corner, Im assuming its one of the cars in the accident. As I drive close, I realize the last "machine" being picked up and towed away is.......a Speedboat! And its huge, and its been smashed on its side. The view of this speedboat, by itself, on a roadside ready to be towed was too bizarre. I wish I had a camera that could have taken that picture and done it justice.

I am very close to there..Drive by there all the time..I am walking distance from Altona and Finch..Slightly west of there..