Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

The cops are a different story. Their information is not public record when it is unrelated to the reasons they are following him.

If his medical care is the basis for his ability to continue to hold his position as a public employee, then yes, it should be public knowledge. That is a very different thing than suggesting that we should know who his personal physician is, or any other public employee's medical care.

I never get those media scrums. If someone showed up in front of me with a camera asking questions, and impeded my ability to get where I'm going, you're goddamn right they're getting pushed.

If he's done something illegal then charge him.

If he's unfit to continue as Mayor then follow the proper procedure and have him removed.

If his health information is required to determine if he's fit to continue as Mayor then request it.

He's been asked to take a leave of absence; he refused. All this is nothing more than an attempt to force him to step down or take a leave of absence.

How about they sit down off camera and come to an agreement of sorts.

Otherwise, just STFU and do what you were voted in to do.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

If he's unfit to continue as Mayor then follow the proper procedure and have him removed.

Short of him being absent for 2? months they can't remove him. Hell.. he could be incarcerated and they would (legally) still have to wait that long. Throw in time for a trial, etc it will be a long time before this is even a possibility.

I don't see Ford walking away from the job (and give up the salary and other benefits) even if I think he's now a bit of a lame duck.

If he's done something illegal then charge him.

If his health information is required to determine if he's fit to continue as Mayor then request it.

He's been asked to take a leave of absence; he refused. All this is nothing more than an attempt to force him to step down or take a leave of absence.

How about they sit down off camera and come to an agreement of sorts.

Otherwise, just STFU and do what you were voted in to do.

They were voted in to run the city. They're trying to make sure that one of the people who has a vote is capable of doing so, and isn't doing inappropriate things under the (undue) influence of drugs or alcohol. Seems reasonable to me. Tiresome, but its not like what they do the rest of the time is all that useful anyway. You think Ford would agree to sit down and come to an agreement? He has one - it is stop bugging me, there are no problems, we shouldn't be talking about it. They disagree, and so they all continue with this stupidity.

And now there's talk of the United Way refusing to accept the money raised from the sale of the bobbleheads.

Wow! People!

There's been talk of it, or they've announced it? Wouldn't want to confuse the two, right? :icon_smile:

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever. There was no public jockeying, no political manoeuvring, etc. Ford flat out refused. He insisted that he 'has nothing left to hide'. That alone continues to be a lie, and therefore warrants the added pressure. The problem with the city council is that they are literally powerless to do anything. So it has become in the past few days, just political grandstanding. For those that just started following council in the last few days, 90% of council meetings are this kind of politicking. And, for the record, the Ford brothers have always been two of the very best at this. If the shoe was on another foot, these two would be like pit bulls on the throats of another councillor. But that's neither here nor there. That's the nature of the political game. They ARE childish, and they ARE almost entirely selfishly motivated. That's not news in Toronto or any other political arena.

But the fact remains: the mayor of the city continues to insist that he did nothing. And every nothing that he's denied has turned out to be something. The media is all over him. They should be. That's their job. If they weren't, none of this would be coming to light. And I don't think very many would deny that the citizens in Toronto have a right to know if their elected political leader is smoking crack, drinking and driving, being abusive, consorting with criminals, etc etc.

He is, in fact, my boss, since I'm an employee of the city. I was heavily involved with the budget process at city hall last year, and I learned a LOT about the mayor as well as other members of council. Nearly every decision that's made at council level is based on back room deals, 'you scratch my back' ideology that is key to getting anything through the process. To have a mayor that at the very least might be susceptible to blackmail is beyond dangerous.

It's a sad fact these days that much of the news content in varying media forms is based on the political leanings of the owners/publishers/broadcasters. The Star leans left, the Sun leans right, etc etc. I HATE that supposed news reports are almost always painted by a political brush. But it's very significant that EVERY media outlet has backed away from Ford, and is now calling for his head. It shows you that they are actually listening to the public, and distancing themselves from someone that is burying themselves. You have no idea how painful it is in the editorial offices for the Sun to have to get on the mayor and hold him accountable.

This is no joke. This isn't bullying. This isn't piling on. This is media hunting down news stories, using FOI to get their hands on police documents, and reporting it to the public. This is part of our system of checks and balances. If there was only one newspaper and it was controlled by the mayor's office, what do you think it would be saying?

And yes, much of the recently released info is hearsay. Reported by people IN THE EMPLOY OF ROB FORD at the time, and people that were and in some cases, still are, loyal to him. If you got called in by the police, sat down, and asked 'what did you see', it's your duty to report it. People wouldn't have a problem putting two and two together if a police report noted that Vito Rizzuto met with the President of the Hells Angels. And the public wouldn't complain if the news media reported that.

At the end of the day, this is a man that's unfit to be mayor. I am sympathetic to anyone that has addiction problems. But when you're surrounded by people begging you to get help, and you don't, then there's nothing that can be done. I don't blame ford for resisting help. He doesn't think he has a problem. One of the first symptoms of addiction: denial. That's not his fault. I have sympathy for Rob Ford the person as someone with a problem. But as a mayor? He needs to go. As of now, he refuses. I wouldn't be surprised to see another handful of issues coming to light, and then finally he steps away. You don't have to believe its true. But you shouldn't blame the media for reporting it. Just ask Tiger Woods. Allegations, hearsay... but he manned up, and did the right thing. Hopefully this works out that way too....

• Like 5

They were voted in to run the city. They're trying to make sure that one of the people who has a vote is capable of doing so, and isn't doing inappropriate things under the (undue) influence of drugs or alcohol. Seems reasonable to me. Tiresome, but its not like what they do the rest of the time is all that useful anyway. You think Ford would agree to sit down and come to an agreement? He has one - it is stop bugging me, there are no problems, we shouldn't be talking about it. They disagree, and so they all continue with this stupidity.

There's been talk of it, or they've announced it? Wouldn't want to confuse the two, right? :icon_smile:

I haven't seen any announcement; I've only read talk about it. Hence the choice of "there's been talk of it" instead of "they've announced".

:goatsetongue:

I haven't seen any announcement; I've only read talk about it. Hence the choice of "there's been talk of it" instead of "they've announced".

:goatsetongue:

But you're the one who said "Wow! People!" thereby drawing conclusions from "hearsay".

What should be a situation where the public should be rallying around a good man, a man that has tons for the city....A man that obviously has issues with alcohol and drugs, and overeating..

A good man? Where are you getting this from?

The left wing media? The right wing media? Or you know him personally and haven't told us?

What are the tons of good things he has done?

Ya, I am confusing your support for him with condoning what he's done, and its quite disappointing frankly. I dont recall you being this genial and forgiving of Dany Heatley for speed racing, but suddenly drinking and driving, doing crack cocaine is just a mistake in judgement and an addiction. Maybe its not an addicition, and he's just weak?

• Like 1

btw, I'm going to want to punch the next person who says that Rob Ford is being bullied

Get a new f*cking word, and stop comparing him to the defenceless children who have to suffer through real bullying all the time.

• Like 1

Really really spot on post by Chris

I agree.

I'm so tired of people who take shots at the media, and yet don't appreciate all the info that they cant stop shoving into their mouths fast enough.

I agree.

I'm so tired of people who take shots at the media, and yet don't appreciate all the info that they cant stop shoving into their mouths fast enough.

It's all about balance.

As Chris pointed out the politicization of the media is a huge issue. There is no doubt that the Star would have been trying to come with everything possible on him because they disagree with his political positions just like the Sun went after Miller to a certain extent. The difference is that with Ford there are now so many huge legitimate issues and skeletons in his closet.

It isn't bullying. It's a feeding frenzy of media and the only way it can subside for a bit is for Ford to do what anybody who cares about Ford the person wants him to do and that is get away into rehab and take a leave from his job.

I think Steve commented that he wouldn't step down because of the salary but his family are very very wealthy and own a printing business with operations in both Canada and the US and I'm sure the family wealth is well north of $10 Million and it's probably even more than that. He isn't leaving because he's in total denial, is delusional and is one of the most stubborn people I've ever seen at a distance in public life.

btw, I'm going to want to punch the next person who says that Rob Ford is being bullied

Get a new f*cking word, and stop comparing him to the defenceless children who have to suffer through real bullying all the time.

I haven't seen him compared to defenceless children.

Umm no. I posted "Wow" because of the talk about it.

Damnit. I take it back then.

I haven't seen him compared to defenceless children.

Don't be pedantic, you did exactly that by calling what is happening to him "bullying."

Damnit. I take it back then.

Don't be pedantic, you did exactly that by calling what is happening to him "bullying."

He's admitted to smoking crack. What's the point of accusing him of infidelity? Why bring others into the situation. I never accused anyone specific of bullying. I never said I supported him in any way. I never said he should remain in office. I never said anything negative against the media.

I think he has a drug problem. I think he's an alcoholic. I think he should step down or at least take a leave. I also think there IS some bullying and piling on happening in an effort to force him out because he won't take a leave. Go back and read you definition of bullying again.

And when I suggested a closed-door meeting to reach an agreement I was referring to something like:

Hey Rob, you have a drinking problem and possibly a drug problem. You're hanging around with dangerous people and it can quickly lead to serious consequences. As you know there's nothing we can do to remove you from your position so we're asking you one final time to take some time and get well and then come back stronger than ever. If you continue to refuse then we ask that you seek professional help and agree to random drug testing. If you agree to this then we will commence with business as usual. If you refuse then you will only see us once every 59 days.

And Doug; you're an enabler. Stop it!

It's all about balance.

As Chris pointed out the politicization of the media is a huge issue. There is no doubt that the Star would have been trying to come with everything possible on him because they disagree with his political positions just like the Sun went after Miller to a certain extent. The difference is that with Ford there are now so many huge legitimate issues and skeletons in his closet.

It isn't bullying. It's a feeding frenzy of media and the only way it can subside for a bit is for Ford to do what anybody who cares about Ford the person wants him to do and that is get away into rehab and take a leave from his job.

1. I agree that many media outlets are leaning left or right. I dont bother to watch a lot of NA news, because of such leanings. I prefer more honest and real reporting like the BBC....and Al Jazeera.

2. If you want the media attention to stop, stop watching it all day, stop reading about it all night, stop talking about it 24-7. The only Rob Ford news I get since the day he admitted it is here in this thread, where I am more disappointed than anything that its actually being treated as an issue with differing sides.

Thanks, that's all I need.

I think your wrong.

And I think you do a disservice to people who are really bullied to use that word for what Rob Ford is going through.

That's it? That's the game? What a shitty-arsed game.

Here's the definition Dan used:

• intimidation of weaker person: the process of intimidating or mistreating somebody weaker or in a more vulnerable situation

Its your game, I just don't like playing it. :)

I like it because it focuses on meaning.

Here's a question for you:

Do you think Rob Ford is in a vulnerable position?