Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

The man is sporting the CFL and the local team, and he is getting flack for coming to work in a jersey..

Fight strong Mr Mayor..

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

WARNING LEWD LANGUAGE - What Toronto Mayor Rob Ford just said on TV to Torontonians.

After announcing he plans to sue three former staffers and a waiter at the Toronto Bier Markt who told police he thinks he saw the mayor do cocaine, Ford dropped this bit of outrageous language:

"It hurts my wife when they call a friend of mine a prostitute. Alana is not a prostitute. She's a friend. And it makes me sick how people are saying this. So unfortunately, I have no other choice. I'm the last one to take legal action, I can't put up with it anymore. So I've named the names. Litigation will be starting shortly. I've had enough. That's why I warned you guys yesterday be careful what you wrote. That's all I have to say for now. And the next thing I want to call Mayor Bratina in Hamilton and tell them we are going to have to spank their little tiger cats. Oh and the last thing was Olivia Gondek, it says it says that I wanted to eat her pussy. Olivia Gondek. I've never said that in my life to her. I would never do that. I'm

happily married. I've got more than enough to eat at home. Thank you very much."

Then the mayor confirmed he may have driven drunk.

The guy is a cartoon character. The requirements for slander/libel are incredibly high, and you are never going to win a suit against people telling police (when questioned) what they think they saw, especially when a majority of the descriptions are corroborated. Every media report I read didn't say "the mayor had a prostitute", it said "one person indicated that a woman in the office may have been a prostitute."

So he wastes more taxpayer money and gets in another unreasonable threat at the press for doing their job. Good work, guy. Keep coming to work in a sports jersey, really changes peoples opinion of you as a fat drunk sack of shit.

The guy is a cartoon character. The requirements for slander/libel are incredibly high, and you are never going to win a suit against people telling police (when questioned) what they think they saw, especially when a majority of the descriptions are corroborated. Every media report I read didn't say "the mayor had a prostitute", it said "one person indicated that a woman in the office may have been a prostitute."

So he wastes more taxpayer money and gets in another unreasonable threat at the press for doing their job. Good work, guy. Keep coming to work in a sports jersey, really changes peoples opinion of you as a fat drunk sack of shit.

The media has an agenda, its pretty obvious.

And its not Ford thats wasting the taxpayers money, its the councillors.

None of this has to be done out in public..They ALL have an agenda, they dont care about the people of Toronto, they surely dont care about a very good politician who has a lot of personal problems. They are just looking our for there interest.

Drugs , prostitution, alcoholism is problems that affect a significant part of the population. There are with out a doubt several members of the council and the media with the same problems.

Nobody is going after them...

IMO FWIW FTW

Sorry Serge but Ford is showing how out there and irrational he is and that he is totally unfit to be Mayor. It's not just about being a substance abuser. The fact that he thinks he can sue somebody for statements they make to police where they are under the threat of a perjury charge if they lie shows that he isn't living in reality.

The Toronto Sun even thinks he shouldn't be Mayor any longer.

• Like 1

None of this has to be done out in public..They ALL have an agenda, they dont care about the people of Toronto, they surely dont care about a very good politician who has a lot of personal problems. They are just looking our for there interest.

Drugs , prostitution, alcoholism is problems that affect a significant part of the population. There are with out a doubt several members of the council and the media with the same problems.

IMO FWIW FTW

He is a PUBLIC official. Everything he does deserves to be public. This is what he signed up for.

Sorry Serge but Ford is showing how out there and irrational he is and that he is totally unfit to be Mayor. It's not just about being a substance abuser. The fact that he thinks he can sue somebody for statements they make to police where they are under the threat of a perjury charge if they lie shows that he isn't living in reality.

The Toronto Sun even thinks he shouldn't be Mayor any longer.

The Toronto Sun is not a newspaper

IMO FWIW FTW

You're Leafsing this up my friend. The man has singlehandedly turned the city into a joke. If anything, the media has been quite restrained to their approach. If this was happening in the U.S., we'd have 24-hour coverage, interviews from anyone on his staff or related to him, a helicopter over his home and paparazzi terrorizing his wife and kids. The councillors are trying to run a goddamn city, which they can't do when the mayor is abusive, showing up to functions hammered, has unqualified criminals on staff, and uses his office to personal advantage in illegal ways. He is the exact opposite of a very good politician.

Are there other councillors who have smoked pot? Probably. Guessing there aren't too many other councillors who have such severe substance abuse problems that half their staffs quit, the police are investigating their ties to organized crime, they spend their private time in crack houses with murdered dealers and help mob enforcers lie about their identity to help coach a youth football team, before being asked to stop coaching the football team for abusive behaviour towards the players. I mean, maybe there are, but the mayor's brother asking other people to admit to smoking pot is such pointless misdirection that could only confuse an insane person (aka a Leafs fan :icon_smile: )

There is a significant difference between someone telling the police something during questioning and then publishing those statements.

There's quite a bit of hearsay being published and taken as 100% true by some. I think he has a legitimate case against some people.

So and so believes blah blah blah.

So and so thinks blah blah blah.

While getting a file So and so saw a joint in a filing cabinet in Rob Ford's office and the next time it wasn't there.

Maybe So and so has a hidden agenda. Obviously Rob Ford isn't the only one with access to his filing cabinet.

His weight is irrelevant.

There are plenty of sacks of shit who wear suits.

You're Leafsing this up my friend. The man has singlehandedly turned the city into a joke. If anything, the media has been quite restrained to their approach. If this was happening in the U.S., we'd have 24-hour coverage, interviews from anyone on his staff or related to him, a helicopter over his home and paparazzi terrorizing his wife and kids. The councillors are trying to run a goddamn city, which they can't do when the mayor is abusive, showing up to functions hammered, has unqualified criminals on staff, and uses his office to personal advantage in illegal ways. He is the exact opposite of a very good politician.

You are wrong...And your comment Leafsing, is stupid as it gets.

Have you seen the other politicians that want to run for mayor..

There is a significant difference between someone telling the police something during questioning and then publishing those statements.

There's quite a bit of hearsay being published and taken as 100% true by some. I think he has a legitimate case against some people.

So and so believes blah blah blah.

So and so thinks blah blah blah.

While getting a file So and so saw a joint in a filing cabinet in Rob Ford's office and the next time it wasn't there.

Maybe So and so has a hidden agenda. Obviously Rob Ford isn't the only one with access to his filing cabinet.

His weight is irrelevant.

There are plenty of sacks of shit who wear suits.

In every case I've seen, the published statements have very clearly indicated the appropriate attribution. No one in the media is saying "Rob Ford smoked crack with prositutes". They're saying "according to the police report, staff member Blah Blah said that there was a woman he believed to be a prostitute" or "Mr Waiter told his manager he thought he saw Rob Ford doing lines of cocaine". If people read that and think the situation is 100% true (which does happen, I'm sure), then they are morons, but I'm not sure what can be done differently. Should we just not allow the media to write anything that isn't proven in court?

I'm not sure the police were right to release the information as they did, but only in the sense that it should have been public record, like anyone else's, so "releasing" it would have been irrelevant.

In every case I've seen, the published statements have very clearly indicated the appropriate attribution. No one in the media is saying "Rob Ford smoked crack with prositutes". They're saying "according to the police report, staff member Blah Blah said that there was a woman he believed to be a prostitute" or "Mr Waiter told his manager he thought he saw Rob Ford doing lines of cocaine". If people read that and think the situation is 100% true (which does happen, I'm sure), then they are morons, but I'm not sure what can be done differently. Should we just not allow the media to write anything that isn't proven in court?

I'm not sure the police were right to release the information as they did, but only in the sense that it should have been public record, like anyone else's, so "releasing" it would have been irrelevant.

What is the point in publishing hearsay?

Some of you are confusing my "support" of the Mayor as condoning the stuff that he has done..No one is condoning all the allegations of things that he has admitted to.

The process of burning him in public, led by the left wing media is inexcusable.

The Globe and Mail or a councillor, staffer can post an article, send out a tweet to say Rob Ford smoked lines of cocaine at the Bier Market...

That tweet is immediately sent to millions of people that ASSUME its true...Which most likely isnt..

What should be a situation where the public should be rallying around a good man, a man that has tons for the city....A man that obviously has issues with alcohol and drugs, and overeating..We should be supporting him and getting him help..Not ridiculing him in front of the world.

Danny by calling him a fat drunk, you are disrespecting millons of people who have an addiction to drugs, alcohol and food...Its really out of line...

• Like 1

Btw, "more than enough to eat at home" is gold!

definetely....Word of the day, and will be guaranteed fodder for Kimmel, Letterman , Leno and Arsenio tonight.

BTW

I watch Arsenio everynight..my favourite show is back

Some of you are confusing my "support" of the Mayor as condoning the stuff that he has done..No one is condoning all the allegations of things that he has admitted to.

The process of burning him in public, led by the left wing media is inexcusable.

The Globe and Mail or a councillor, staffer can post an article, send out a tweet to say Rob Ford smoked lines of cocaine at the Bier Market...

That tweet is immediately sent to millions of people that ASSUME its true...Which most likely isnt..

What should be a situation where the public should be rallying around a good man, a man that has tons for the city....A man that obviously has issues with alcohol and drugs, and overeating..We should be supporting him and getting him help..Not ridiculing him in front of the world.

Danny by calling him a fat drunk, you are disrespecting millons of people who have an addiction to drugs, alcohol and food...Its really out of line...

If he blows his head off or hangs himself in a closet then they'll all be talking about mental health, alcoholism, substance abuse and cries for help, etc.

Self-serving hypocrites.

This is bullying to me.

If he blows his head off or hangs himself in a closet then they'll all be talking about mental health, alcoholism, substance abuse and cries for help, etc.

Self-serving hypocrites.

This is bullying to me.

If he doesnt get away from all the spotlight, there is only two endings to this...

Death or jail..

I really hope he gets help soon

Btw, "more than enough to eat at home" is gold!

Yeah, I should point out that that whole speech was brilliance.

What is the point in publishing hearsay?

Hearsay:

1. second-hand information: information that is heard from other people

A person testifying to the police that they saw someone do something or overheard something directly is not hearsay.

This is the opposite of a man you rally around. First, you try to get him help if you believe his problems stem from drug and alcohol addiction. That happened, and it happened before all the media crap. You also do not allow him to act as mayor until he is no longer demonstrating the problems associated with addiction. If he refuses to seek help and continues to demonstrate those problems, you have few other options.

I strongly disagree with your assertion of what I said. Unless your argument is that anyone who is overweight or does drugs has an addiction and should be helped, then you cannot describe Ford that way. He has done nothing to indicate conciliation. He is someone who's issues with alcohol and drugs prevent him from doing his job, and instead of accepting help, he tells everyone else it is their fault, and the media's fault for pointing out to the public things that they have every right to be aware of.

I am not an expert, and I havent done any drugs( it will all come out when I run for mayor). But I would think he is in denial yes...Smoking crack isnt like having 2 or 3 beers on the weekend I am assuming.

I pretty confident he has a problem.

I am also not sure you/media/we can say that its affecting his job..There is really no proof to that...

ok so

Drinking excessively...check

Drugs.....check

Prostitution...check

just waiting for the report to come out that he has a gambling problem too...

Self-serving hypocrites.

This is bullying to me.

Bullshit. The media and councillors are trying to tell the public what they have the right to know, force a man who has done a lot of harm to admit as much and take responsibility for his actions and fix the problem.

Every report I read from council begins by urging him to seek help, and if he refuses to, then try to diminish his powers until he does. Are there people looking for facetime? Of course, they're politicans. The media is looking for readers. To call anybody saying anything negative bullying is an unhelpful overreaction to recent events and does more harm than good to people actually facing bullying.

Since I'm into definitions today apparently, here is the internet's definition of bullying:

1. intimidation of weaker person: the process of intimidating or mistreating somebody weaker or in a more vulnerable situation

Do you really feel that that describes the media reporting a police investigation of the mayor or city councillors asking the mayor to admit to buying cocaine, driving drunk, stop using mayor stationary to solicit donations to a personal cause?

Like every person who is harming themselves and others with their actions (whether it be drugs, alcohol, gambling, or anything else), I very much hope he is able to turn things around without jail or death. You know, the way the significant majority of people do it, especially if you remove the sad subsection of people who either do not have the money or support systems where they are able to get help. His actions and words to date, after years of abuse and very significant harm inflicted on a lot of people, has been to continue to deny and attack, with no admission of wrong and maintaining a completely deluded sense of self (thinking he is a "good" role model).

I am not an expert, and I havent done any drugs( it will all come out when I run for mayor). But I would think he is in denial yes...Smoking crack isnt like having 2 or 3 beers on the weekend I am assuming.

I pretty confident he has a problem.

I am also not sure you/media/we can say that its affecting his job..There is really no proof to that...

Umm, half his staff has resigned and many others complained of abuse. He and the council spend an incredible amount of time doing non-council things. He showed up hammered to a fundraiser. He used city material to solicit donations to a private cause, told he couldn't, then continued to do it anyway. Maybe none of those things strongly effect the job, but there's a reason they're frowned upon.

Also, as Zach points out, he improperly (maybe illegally) pushed through TTC plans that contradicted the recommendations of the TTC. At least in that case he actually did something, though I'd wager it is more harm than good if a politician thinks he knows more about transportation than the TTC.

I haven't read any "I saw"...it's been more like "I think I saw" or "I believe it..."

That isn't hearsay either.

Why do they report stuff like that? Well, that's a media course beyond me, because it looks stupid to me too when I read it. Same reason that every current event these days has 24-hour coverage of "eyewitness reports" that are often contradictory, made up and almost certainly pointless. Someone likes reading about it and as long as you don't print anything you know not to be true and provide all appropriate attributions, then you're just giving the public information they want, which is kind of a reporter's job description (even if you think the public is stupid for wanting it, which we usually are).