Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

Not sure if you were being facetious, but Lee's Palace is maybe the best-known venue (other than the giant stadiums) for music in the city.

Lee's Palace better known than the Horseshoe?
  • Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

One of my profs was on the team working to plan the revitalization.

Really nice mix of market and social housing. They'll knock down the rest of the crack dens in the next phases.

Also, a neighborhood having money doesn't mean it's a good neighborhood. Likewise for poor neighborhoods. Doesn't make them bad areas.

Regent Park is know for it's drug deals (usually between non-residents) because it was planned in the 60s and the whole idea of urban renewal was an absolute failure. They took out streets, cops couldn't even drive through it. Perfect place for drug deals. Inward facing, no eyes on the streets (Jane Jacobs), etc.

We did a tour of the neighborhood the other day. It's fantastic. The aquatic center is great too, biggest public pool in Toronto, if I heard right.

I like that DannyG (Halifax) and Zach (TO resident for about 6wks) are the ones filling in on all the Toronto info. lol

That's because you guys are all old fogeys who live in Pickering or Scarberia. Us cool young kids (who lived there for 6 weeks or 10 years ago) are the only ones who know cool spots. (Neither of us are cool)

I forgot to say, about Regent Park, it's a very close, tight-knit community.

When they knocked everything down to replace the aging, poorly planned neighborhoods, they offered to move the people living in the social housing to any other location in the city. Over 90% of them decided to uproot themselves for several years, only to return once the new buildings were built. Over 90%! To a "crappy" neighborhood, filled with apparent crime and peril.

I forgot to say, about Regent Park, it's a very close, tight-knit community.

When they knocked everything down to replace the aging, poorly planned neighborhoods, they offered to move the people living in the social housing to any other location in the city. Over 90% of them decided to uproot themselves for several years, only to return once the new buildings were built. Over 90%! To a "crappy" neighborhood, filled with apparent crime and peril.

The other places they would have been sent wouldn't have been any better.

TCH buildings aren't very nice no matter where they are so the chance to move into a brand new building is a no brainer. All public housing complexes have issues it's just that some are worse than others.

I believe Glen Metroplit was from Regent Park.

We read about him in a high school social studies class. It was comparing him to his twin brother, who apparently is in jail or something. Glen was held out as the one who "made good" which was always weird to me, because all it meant was he was good at hockey. He isn't a humanitarian or doctor or anything.

Hi! Yep, I've got a 19-month old son, who is the best and cutest thing ever. Today is actually my 5-year anniversary (yes, I'm working, but only because I'm taking all next week off to go to NYC) to the same lovely woman you'll recall from Sick Thread days. Life is excellent. Glad to see you're travelling and still living the good life - hope all is well.

Congrats, dude. PM me a baby pic if you're cool.

I would go by rail from Ottawa or Montreal to Toronto if I was staying downtown like LG is.

I'm going by rail between all my destinations. 3 journeys and I'm only paying 100 bucks - pretty awesome value, plus trains are nicer, smoother, more punctual and more scenic than buses in general. Love train travel.

Whoever dissed Ottawa: I'm only staying there for two full days, but I'm pretty psyched for it. I'm meeting up with an old friend there, plus I have now met the Speaker of your House of Com mons and his office are going to give me a little hospitality while I'm there, so it should be a great time. I am a Par lia ment geek though.

Well it goes have bit of a inferiority complex when it compares itself to Toronto/Montreal and other world capitals. And given we have the role of "Nation's Capital" everything is emblazoned CANADA instead of OTTAWA so that doesn't help.. oh well smaller city that's very touristic so still lots of stuff to see and do.

Been to Montreal twice and hated it.

It's very different than Toronto that's for sure; overall IMHO Toronto is a lot nicer but some areas of Montreal (Port,etc) are a lot more fun. If Toronto is a wannabe hipster then Montreal is the tattooed/pierced 'weirdo'.

The Subway near my office has no more SUB OF THE DAY specials...Back to $5 footlong for a few subs..

Is this nationwide?