The Vegas/poker Themed Screenplay “Vegas Knights” Wins Its 3Rd Honor.

Lol ten days since I asked about the very basic log line and synopsis that you haven't been able to answer

To use your own terminology "Are you dense?", didn't you read the reason in my post. And do you really think I should be in a hurry to answer a question from someone with your attitude.

and this is what You up with?
By your tone it seems like you're on a search and destroy mission. Odd, since you'd think a poker player and fellow writer would be encouraging to the writer of a 3 X's honored poker themed script, especially when some say poker is declining. I think there are possibly several reasons for your rude attitude but I don't want to get into all of that right now. I don't mind you bringing up various points, but your rudeness is kind of weird with the current state of poker.

This isn't even proper coverage...
Sure it is, the person even took the time to write a 3 1/2 page description of the plot. How many people giving coverage are going to do that. But I'm certainly not going to put that out there. The person also wrote additional analysis of the script. But most of that dealt with areas where I've made changes and is therefore no longer relevant. I think you're just a guy who wants to know more about the plot and is angry and frustrated because I'm not giving away more plot details.

And you're aware that often the process goes: person in the business reads longline then asks for synopsis or treatment then asks for script right?
Like I said, if a person has read the coverage I presented and is not interested, a one sentence logline is certainly not going to change their mind.

You're also aware that any query letter (which pretty much anyone that'll see a script wants to see first) should contain a log line and a synopsis?
Of course.

...the only thing you'll tell people about your script is that it contains poker, and from that they should want to spend their time reading it? Or spend their money to finance it? And then outside of that you post two ridiculously badly written...
LOL, man, calm down, the script has won 3 honors. But if your opinion (as a person who has not sold a screenplay or won any film honors) has even a grain of truth, it will greatly increase the value of my script because it says that a script that has won 3 honors competing against hundreds and thousands of people is not as good as it possibly can be. But rather it is a script that can be so much better with some adjustments. That greatly increases the value of the script.
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a question for world famous script writer, Gerry Burlage. Do you like renaissance faires?

Just so we're clear:   You're counting making this list as one of the 'honors'?            

Things don't move as quickly as you think in the screenplay world, Guapo. In the industry (that's what we insiders call it. You might know it as "Hollywood") it takes years, and at least three natio

By your tone it seems like you're on a search and destroy mission. Odd, since you'd think a poker player and fellow writer would be encouraging to the a writer of a 3 X's honored poker themed script, especially when some say pokier is declining I think there are possibly several reasons for rude attitude but I don't want to get into that now. I don't mind you bringing up various points, but your rudeness is kind of weird with the current state of poker.

Irish knows that every poker script you sell is one he won't. He is trying to sabotage you for personal and professional gains. You should read Robert Greene's The 50th Law. It helped me develop strategies for dealing with snakes like him.

• Like 2

Lol ten days since I asked about the very basic log line and synopsis that you haven't been able to answer and this is what You up with? This isn't even proper coverage and has been posted before and serves no purpose as it related to what i repeatedly asked, it tells absolutely nothing worthwhile about the script or the story in general. You're aware how many scripts will only get read because of a log line right?

And you're aware that often the process goes: person in the business reads longline then asks for synopsis or treatment then asks for script right?

You're also aware that any query letter (which pretty much anyone that'll see a script wants to see first) should contain a log line and a synopsis?

You create social media accounts and spam the crap out of people, create topics on forums and the only thing you'll tell people about your script is that it contains poker, and from that they should want to spend their time reading it? Or spend their money to finance it? And then outside of that you post two ridiculously badly written, pointless and nondescript scenes to perhaps peak interest.,,thank god we got the promise for more down the road.

I look forward to a week from now when you avoid answering any of this,

Edit: I like the fact that your "coverage" was written by someone who has reviewed over 60 films lol did you write it yourself. I've had coverage done multiple times by multiple sources and this is nowhere near coverage. Google screenplay coverage format and nothing that comes even close to this is out there.

pique

• Like 2

To use your own terminology "Are you dense?", didn't you read the reason in my post. And do you really think I should be in a hurry to answer a question from someone with your attitude.

By your tone it seems like you're on a search and destroy mission. Odd, since you'd think a poker player and fellow writer would be encouraging to the a writer of a 3 X's honored poker themed script, especially when some say pokier is declining. I think there are possibly several reasons for your rude attitude but I don't want to get into all of that right now. I don't mind you bringing up various points, but your rudeness is kind of weird with the current state of poker.

Sure it is, the person even took the time to write a 3 1/2 page description of the plot. How many people giving coverage are going to do that. But I'm certainly not going to put that out there. The person also wrote additional analysis of the script. But most of that dealt with areas where I've made changes and is therefore no longer relevant. I think you're just a guy who wants to know more about the plot and is angry and frustrated because I'm not giving away more plot details.

Like I said, if a person has read the coverage I presented and is not interested, a one sentence logline is certainly not going to change their mind.

Of course.

LOL, man, calm down, the script has won 3 honors. But if your opinion (as a person who has not sold a screenplay or won any film honors) has even a grain of truth, it will greatly increase the value of my script because it says that a script that has won 3 honors competing against hundreds and thousands of people is not as good as it possibly can be. But rather it is a script that can be so much better with some adjustments. That greatly increases the value of the script.

My posts started out on a positive note here and even in giving some feedback I commended you. Any attitude I post with now is purely s result of the insanity that you've responded with.

What you posted is far from traditional or proper coverage. Coverage is either typically done 1) as a paid service to show the writer how a paid reader would recommend or pass on the script 2) how a reader/producer/agent etc would pass the project upward in hopes of getting the project done.

What you are showing here as "coverage" is a bland, information less review by someone who has reviewed over sixty films but much like your posts doesn't actually provide any story information or I depth analysis. There are people in the entertainment forum who have posted more thorough reviews on more films.

The point is people who read for a living read a ton of scripts the idea of the log line is to show them the hook/premiss in order to peak their interest enough to want to read more. Known writers can often sell a script before its even written simply by pitching a great logline.

Synopsis falls a long the same life. A paragraph to a page about the premisses that captures the readers interest enough that they want to read your script. I'm really not making that up or saying that with attitude people who read scripts read a ton of them and don't want to spend their time reading scripts or treatments without having a strong interest in what they'll be reading. That's why these two area are included in a query letter.

I've said a number of times you should be proud of the accomplishments. I've never won a contest correct-I've also never entered one, I am however a published and paid writer in a variety of different avenues so there's that.

None of this, not one thing you've done online will add any value to it at all. You don't tell anyone anything, just that it contains poker and the poker world should embrace it because it brings a little positive news to the industry. You don't tell anyone anything, you don't answer any serious questions and if you do you, do it in the most insane immature way possible. Nothing you post will compel serious people to want to spend their time reading the script or to compel them to want to buy it or finance the project.

. A catchy tag line to spam folks through twitter would be more useful then how you've been spamming them to this point. A well drafted synopsis on one of your Facebook pages might serve you better then simply stated you won awards, have a screenplay for sale that involves poker but tells nothing more.

I wish I knew what it was called in the industry when a person or company reads your script and then does a very thorough write up and critique? Anyone know the term?

What you posted is far from traditional or proper coverage....
Like I said earlier, I didn't post the entire coverage, please reread what I said. And if you think that portion of the coverage that I did post is not traditional coverage then you're wrong.

...The point is people who read for a living read a ton of scripts the idea of the log line is to show them the hook/premiss in order to peak their interest enough to want to read more. Known writers can often sell a script before its even written simply by pitching a great logline.

Synopsis falls a long the same life. A paragraph to a page about the premisses that captures the readers interest enough that they want to read your script. I'm really not making that up or saying that with attitude people who read scripts read a ton of them and don't want to spend their time reading scripts or treatments without having a strong interest in what they'll be reading. That's why these two area are included in a query letter....

I already know all of this.

...I've said a number of times you should be proud of the accomplishments...
Thanks

You don't tell anyone anything, just that it contains poker and the poker world should embrace it because it brings a little positive news to the industry
I disagree that I don't tell anyone anything, please reread that portion of the coverage I brought in. And for the record, my script is not a milk toast advertisement for the poker industry. For emotional impact (that all films need) it shows the good and not so good, but overall I think it could be beneficial to the poker industry.

Like I said earlier, I didn't post the entire coverage, please reread what I said. And if you think that portion of the coverage that I did post is not traditional coverage then you're wrong.

I already know all of this.

Thanks

I disagree that I don't tell anyone anything, please reread that portion of the coverage I brought in. And for the record, my script is not a milk toast advertisement for the poker industry. For emotional impact (that all films need) it shows the good and not so good, but overall I think it could be beneficial to the poker industry.

That maybe a brutal version of the summary of the coverage but it in no way operates as the coverage a reader would move up the ladder.

I enjoy that you constantly state that you know what a log line and synopsis are but then state you don't need them as the coverage should serve the point. If you know what they are and understand the purpose you would understand why they are more important and useful than the coverage you have. Someone wanting to read your script would do so after viewing your query and then would do their own analysis/coverage of the script to forward to producers/execs etc. They wouldn't likely take another's review/opinion/breakdown of your screenplay and then read it from there-they would prefer to go in as a blank slate, opinions and analysis out of the equation.

The summary offered serves no purpose but attempting to pat you on your back. It doesn't touch on typical coverage points such as overall theme; plot, sub plots, flow, development, depth etc etc etc.

...I enjoy that you constantly state that you know what a log line and synopsis are but then state you don't need them as the coverage should serve the point...
I didn't state I don't need them, I just don't need them in a public forum. I do place them however in query letters to people who have some clout. If someone with clout wants to see a logline and synopsis, then contact me.

What are the 'honors' again?

They are listed in post #1 of this thread.

I didn't state I don't need them, I just don't need them in a public forum. I do place them however in query letters to people who have some clout. If someone with clout wants to see a logline and a synopsis, then contact me.

You need a week and a half to formulate that response? I think if you're going to try and garner interest through the means you have like twitter, Facebook, forums those things would've served a much better purpose opposed to what you've done. However, if that's your stance how hard would it have been to answer that in the first place instead of the gigantic circle of nonsensical responses? That's completely insane...

I wish I knew what it was called in the industry when a person or company reads your script and then does a very thorough write up and critique? Anyone know the term?

It's called coverage or script analysis. I posted some of mine. I didn't post that part that is no longer relevant because of changes I've made. I also did not post the 3 1/2 page synopsis.

There is also something called "story notes". These offer suggestions on how a script might be improved.

You need a week and a half to formulate that response? I think if you're going to try and garner interest through the means you have like twitter, Facebook, forums those things would've served a much better purpose opposed to what you've done. However, if that's your stance how hard would it have been to answer that in the first place instead of the gigantic circle of nonsensical responses? That's completely insane...

LOL, you're definitely a guy who for whatever reason is on a search and destroy mission. Your behavior is weird considering poker needs any positive news it can get. And in my opinion, when a poker themed screenplay wins 3 honors, that's some positive news. Frankly, I think you're frustrated that none of your screenplays have sold and are a little jealous of a guy who has had some success with his screenplay.

Odd, since you'd think a poker player and fellow writer would be encouraging to the a writer of a 3 X's honored poker themed script, especially when some say pokier is declining.

Odd is a good word for this sentence.

Odd is a good word for this sentence.

You'd make a great proofreader.

milk toast

I think I know why your script has been blackballed.

LOL, you're definitely a guy who for whatever reason is on a search and destroy mission. Your behavior is weird considering poker needs any positive news it can get. And in my opinion when a poker themed screenplay wins 3 honors, that's some positive news. Frankly, I think you're frustrated that none of your screenplays have sold and are a little jealous of a guy who has had some success with his screenplay.

Actually, I think you've both sold the same amount of screenplays.

• Like 3

LOL, you're definitely a guy who for whatever reason is on a search and destroy mission. Your behavior is weird considering poker needs any positive news it can get. And in my opinion when a poker themed screenplay wins 3 honors, that's some positive news. Frankly, I think you're frustrated that none of your screenplays have sold and are a little jealous of a guy who has had some success with his screenplay.

Actually I asked about the tag line/synopsis over a week ago had you responded that you had them but for some reason you felt posting on forums, spamming on twitter and starting pages on Facebook was better suited using other stuff the conversation would've went different, I would've disagreed and we would've went from the there. I'm not frustrated, I own businesses have functioned fairly well over the years. Write articles, essays as requested and write and push screenplays as time permits,

If anything I owe you a thanks, reading the little dribble you've posted caused me to look back through old stuff and see that my first few attempts at writing screenplays were worlds above the level I thought. Christ I'm convinced if you won three honours I must have an Oscar buried in my closet that I don't even know about,,,

Ah, so you have resorted to the ol' hearsay post. Well there is a reason hearsay is worthless in court.

And I guess the judges at the 2011 festival (from which I received the finalist notice a few weeks ago) haven't heard about your alleged hearsay.

And we know, we just know, there is no ulterior motive for all the negativity in here.

Things don't move as quickly as you think in the screenplay world, Guapo. In the industry (that's what we insiders call it. You might know it as "Hollywood") it takes years, and at least three national screenplay awards to get noticed. Quit being so obtuse.

*emphasis mine

• Like 3

Vegas Knights,

I'm not impersonating anyone. I think I made it clear that I'm not the same person as you. Your post above is false and defamatory. You think that you're the only person in this world with a claim to the name Gerry Burlage?

This is Gerry Burlage (aka Vegas Knights) the originator of this thread.

To the troll who has decided to use the alias "Gerry Burlage", you said above--

"I think I made it clear that I'm not the same person as you"

You might delusionally think you made it clear but your statement is false. Nowhere in your past posts have you made it clear you are not me. And why have your posts 133, 135, 143, 149, 154, and 160, all been deleted, are you covering your tracks? Also you made this statement:

"You think that you're the only person in this world with a claim to the name Gerry Burlage?"

So you imply your name is not really Gerry Burlage as mine is but that you're just "claiming" this as your alias. Your real name is something else right? And do you realize you have confused at least two people in this thread (and probably many more reading the thread) by using your alias as Gerry Burlage (which I mentioned in post #1) even though that is not your real name. Does it bother you at all that you are confusing people who might have a sincere interest in the topic of this thread which might be important to the poker industry?

You also said this in post 220:

...I guess the judges at the 2011 festival (from which I received the finalist notice a few weeks ago) haven't heard about your alleged hearsay....

So Mr. (person who has claimed the name Gerry Burlage), what is the name of this contest you have received a finalist notice from a few weeks ago? Or is that statement just a (surprise, surprise) lie?

I know nothing about screenplays... So I'm just gonna put this idea of mine out to the experts on this thread.

Here's the setup:

Imagine Patton Oswalt in "Big Fan."

Instead of a loser in his Mom's house calling into sports talk radio to hype his dreams of the NY Giants winning the Super Bowl; We substitute a loser in his Mom's house posting on an internet poker thread trying to sell a screenplay that hypes his equally delusional dreams of saving the poker world and making him rich and famous.

This makes the transition from "old school" to "new school." Radio is replaced by the internet. It will relate to the 18-34 demographic. It also has the extra value added benefit of more opinions and responses than the original "Moderator" of the talk show.

Of course.. there are certain scenes and themes that would have to be carried over. Such as the loser going through boxes of Kleenex in his bedroom, and his Mom yelling at him to "Go to bed!"

This is just a rough first draft. I'm open to suggestions... and this is offered free of charge.

• Like 1

It just gets better.... consider this:

VKs character, "Paul" has an arch enemy on the radio "Philadelphia Phil" in the movie. Substitute "Paul" for VK and Irish Guy for "Philadelphia Phil" and you have the classic ending. Protagonist meets Antagonist in a poker room instead of a sports bar. Irishguy... with his bad ass belt of undetermined color.. beats the shit out of VK and crushes all his dreams along with his testicles.

I withdraw my previous "free of charge" statement. This shit is golden.

BTW.... I'll work on the formatting.

• Like 1