The Vegas/poker Themed Screenplay “Vegas Knights” Wins Its 3Rd Honor.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a question for world famous script writer, Gerry Burlage. Do you like renaissance faires?

Just so we're clear:   You're counting making this list as one of the 'honors'?            

Things don't move as quickly as you think in the screenplay world, Guapo. In the industry (that's what we insiders call it. You might know it as "Hollywood") it takes years, and at least three natio

I've already offered to buy the script for said $75K (formatting aside). Maybe you should pay more attention to the thread VK. You never responded to my offer.

And to the rest of you; Why can't you see that Vegas Knights and his script is going to save the poker world and make him (and me ) rich and famous?

I didn't think you were serious the way you worded your post. On the long shot chance you are serious, why don't you private message me and tell me more about yourself: like your name, your business, your lawyer, etc.

In response to some of Irishguy's questions,

I have sent out queries to agents. I've gotten some response but haven't signed with an agent yet. You don't need an agent to sell a script but it certainly helps. I have sent the script out to other people you might know. Almost all of those people have not seen the current script which I believe is much better than the one they have.

As far as I know, not one big studio like Universal, Disney, etc. has seen this script. They don't accept scripts unless they come through an agent. Right now it's probably going to take some very wealthy poker enthusiast like an Andy Beal, Sam Simon, or Guy Laliberté, or some name actor who loves poker like Matt Damon, Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck etc. to get this project going. If anyone knows them, I'd appreciate it if you direct them to the thread.

BTW, this thread is basically a diversion for me, it's certainly not my main marketing tool. But you never know, there's always a long shot chance someone with clout might become aware of it through the thread.

In response to some of Irishguy's questions,

I have sent out queries to agents. I've gotten some response but haven't signed with an agent yet. You don't need an agent to sell a script but it certainly helps. I have sent the script out to other people you might know. Almost all of those people have not seen the current script which I believe is much better than the one they have.

As far as I know, not one big studio like Universal or Disney etc. has seen this script. They don't accept a script unless they come through an agent. Right now it's probably going to take some very wealthy poker enthusiast like an Andy Beal, Sam Simon, or Guy Laliberté, or some name actor who loves poker like Matt Damon, Toby McGuire, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck etc. to get this project going.

This thread is just a diversion for me, it's certainly not my main marketing tool. But you never know, there's always a long shot chance someone with clout might become aware of it through the thread.

That actually doesn't answer most of my questions or points. Feel free to go back quote and answer.

What other marketing tools are you using? You've got a Facebook page for your screenplay with no tag line or synopsis, why? To form query letters you would've had to include those things. You're here toting your award winning script but now are saying your newest version is much better, why improve on an award winning script? Why not re submit this version to the industry insiders that have read it and judged it to be awarding winning? Why not re submit it to others who have already read it? If you made improvements it was likely based on their feedback why not get it back to them? Are you copyrighting every version, there can be issues if there's been a great percentage of changes since copyrighting?

I've thrown out at least ten quality questions you've maybe vaguely answered one thus far...

• Like 1

A year of an insane schedule just sort of stopped out of the blue so I'm bored....I need a hobby

God speed. I'd have had the kind of energy for this kind of HAM back in 2007. These days, all I can muster is some contempt and zingers. But Game Recognize game

• Like 2

I didn't think you were serious the way you worded your post. On the long shot chance you are serious, why don't you private message me and tell me more about yourself: like your name, your business, your lawyer, etc.

I was.

Unfortunately, I have come into information that makes the point moot.

Perhaps you have heard about the recent discovery of gravity waves left over from the "big bang", the creation of our universe.

These are the long searched for ripples in space-time caused by extreme gravitational fluctuations. Besides this discovery being a great achievement for physics as we know it, it is also our death knell. I know people who work at BICEP2 and also at LIGO. And the sad news is this:

After triangulating their data and calculating for the speed of light, location of the epicenter, our location in relation to it and errors in such a large space as the universe... Our galaxy will be hit by the wavefront of this gravitational wave in about 2 years... give or take 6 months. (BTW... that's a pretty damn good calculation all things considered. They are really smart.)

The effect of this wavefront on our galaxy will be the equivalent of: Our galaxy being a golf ball on the first tee. And Tiger Woods crushes us with 360 yard drive right down the middle of the fairway. Imagine the biggest tsunami you can think of and then multiply it by infinity.

In other words... we are all toast very soon.

All that being said, I'm selling all of my worldly goods, moving to Bora Bora with my family and living life without a care until we all disappear in a truly cataclysmic event.

I hope you will forgive me for backing out of the deal. I'm sure you understand that the poker world.... and our world in particular are now extremely trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

...The entertainment insiders who judged your screenplay would've snapped it up on the spot...

This is not necessarily true. Remember the Scriptapalooza contest had 3,798 entries. So each manager or agent judge might have 30 scripts to judge. Let’s say a manager who has 30 scripts to judge judges 10 and then comes to mine. That means he/she has about 20 more on the table to judge. The judge might not even care about poker, but they like my characters and plot so they give it a high grade and move on to the next 20 scripts. Also this manager could very easily have more clients then they know what to do with and doesn’t have the time to take on a new client even though they like the script and thinks it could sell.

It’s sort of like me walking through a store and seeing a shirt I really like. The thing is I’ve already got 15 shirts at home and don’t really need another shirt even though I like it a lot. The same with the contest. A judge might like my script a lot but he’s already got 40 clients whose scripts he likes and is trying to sell. Of course there is always the possibility that a judge really gets blown away by a script but that's a longshot. So the fact that a judge who had to judge 30 scripts doesn't stop everything he's doing and try to reach me doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't think my script could sell.

----------

I've answered some of things you brought up but you didn't answer my question about whether or not you've written a screenplay that had some poker in it. For all I know you could be working on a poker themed script right now or are trying to sell one you've already completed.

This is not necessarily true. Remember the Scriptapalooza contest had 3,798 entries. So each manager or agent judge might have 30 scripts to judge. Let’s say a manager who has 30 scripts to judge judges 10 and then comes to mine. That means he/she has about 20 more on the table to judge. The judge might not even care about poker, but they like my characters and plot so they give it a high grade and move on to the next 20 scripts. Also this manager could very easily have more clients then they know what to do with and doesn’t have the time to take on a new client even though they like the script and thinks it could sell.

It’s sort of like me walking through a store and seeing a shirt I really like. The thing is I’ve already got 15 shirts at home and don’t really need another shirt even though I like it a lot. The same with the contest. A judge might like my script a lot but he’s already got 40 clients whose scripts he likes and is trying to sell. Of course there is always the possibility that a judge really gets blown away by a script but that's a longshot, especially with a poker themed script. So the fact that a judge who had to judge 30 scripts doesn't stop everything he's doing and try to reach me doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't think my script could sell.

----------

So I answered some of things you brought up but you didn't answer my question about whether or not you've written a screenplay that had some poker in it. For all I know you could be working on a poker themed script right now or are trying to sell one you've already completed.

Whether they like poker or not is relatively pointless if they thought it was a bankable concept they'd push it forward. People don't often garner success in the industry only pushing things they like. If the story was compelling overall and as marketable as you seem to think those insiders would've fought for it or would've looked to help you move the project forward. In fact had they felt the overall story was compelling enough even with thinking poker wouldn't be marketable they would've looked to work with you and established industry people to keep the nexus of your story ie: characters, dialogue, plot points and transferred that to another more mass appealing area then poker as the back drop. You really haven't answered much, you respond in rapid fashion to every jab but serious questions take days and are by and large ignored.

I answered your question way back in post 65. But I'll elaborate I've used it as example to express certain traits of individuals, would possibly use it as far as showing interests or hobbies of characters but as an overall plot I don't see the appeal from a mainstream perspective. I talk over drinks about poker with friends who don't play and while its a subject I'm passionate about it doesn't take long to read there "shut the hell up" expressions.

I'm Passionate about the restaurant industry, educated in the field, fifteen years in management/ownership, several years owning and operating a consulting firm, numberous articles written etc etc but it is another topic that has a very bad track record in film and in television and highly doubt I'd ever have it being the driving point behind anything I'd write. Again, it's been used as an aside like one characters job or dream or what have you.

• Like 1

Whether they like poker or not is relatively pointless if they thought it was a bankable concept they'd push it forward...

Not if they already have 40 other clients who they think have a bankable concept. It simply wouldn't be worth the time and effort to take on a new client even if they thought the script was good. Plus they might have another 20 scripts on the table they have to judge all while getting phone calls from the many clients they already have. You seem to think these people have unlimited time and energy to stop everything they're doing if they read a good script.

Not if they already have 40 other clients who they think have a bankable concept. It simply wouldn't be worth the time and effort to take on a new client even if they thought the script was good. Plus they might have another 20 scripts on the table they have to judge all while getting phone calls from the many clients they already have. You seem to think these people have unlimited time and energy to stop everything they're doing if they read a good script.

There's one of many points here you seem to be missing. If these industry insiders saw nothing more compelling in your screenplay then those of their other 40 clients or the other 20 scripts they had to read to then why should anybody? Why would anyone think to buy it or put up the money to have it made? How many screenplays do you think the average agent sees in a year? How about producers? How many agents and producers are out there? How many movies actually get made? There are a ton of contests out there and any recognition is something you should be proud of but how many of these screenplays that win or get recognized ever get produced? There's a world of difference between good and great and then there's a world of difference between great and marketable.

You are here toting the 'importance" of your work and "how the poker world needs it" but yet by your own words there was nothing discernible about it to the industry insiders who read it to look to push it forward. But yet you post on forums, have Facebook pages, spam on twitter but can produce a simple tag line or synopsis and you think someone should just come along and throw money at it.

Why? If an Andy Beal or Sam Simon or Matt Damon or whoever wanted to be involved in a poker movie why would they seek out a screenplay from 2009 that nobody has had interest in and spend money on it? Why wouldn't they just go to one of the many established writers they could get in contact with and ask them to write something?

You're pushing -rather horribly and rather pointlessly a five year old script in perhaps the least effective manner possible. Some advice I was given long ago if its not a large scale appealing or marketable concept write stuff that is. Keep writing stuff with broader appeal, gain success in that direction and then it'll be much easier to get something less desirable read and produced.

The fact that you're still pushing this project in this manner after all this time and that you couldn't easily identify the very basic errors that I pointed out shows how little effort you've put in since you wrote it and how little work you've done to evolve at the craft.

• Like 1
... If these industry insiders saw nothing more compelling in your screenplay then those of their other 40 clients or the other 20 scripts they had to read to then why should anybody?
Because everyone is different. Just because 1 or 2 judges weren't ready to stop everything they were doing and sign me up doesn't mean there isn't someone in Hollywood with clout who wouldn't love the script. I once saw an interview where Mickey Rooney said that during the premier of the "Wizard of OZ" a lot of people walked out, and Judy Garland cried because of that. The Wizard of Oz is considered one of the greatest pictures of all time and yet a lot of people walked out of the premier.

All it takes is one person with clout to like my script. And with Hollywood filled with poker lovers, I think my 3'xs honored script stands a better chance than the thousands of other scripts out there. And if Rounders 2 comes out and is a hit, I think my script will be more marketable... My script will be around forever, so there is always a chance it will end up in the hands of someone who wants to make it into a film. And if it never does, at least I got my name on 3 film contest websites for my efforts.

Because everyone is different. Just because 1 or 2 people weren't ready to stop everything they were doing and sign me up doesn't mean there isn't someone in Hollywood with clout who wouldn't love the script. I once saw an interview where Mickey Rooney said that during the premier of the "Wizard of OZ" a lot of people walked out, and Judy Garland cried because of that. The Wizard of Oz is considered one of the greatest pictures of all time and yet a lot of people walked out of the premier.

All it takes is one person with clout to like my script. And with Hollywood filled with poker lovers, I think my 3'xs honored script stands a better chance than the thousands of other scripts out there. And if Rounders 2 comes out and is a hit, I think my script will be more marketable... My script will be around forever, so there is always a chance it will end up in the hands of someone who wants to make it into a film. And if it never does, at least I got my name on 3 film contest websites for my efforts.

You do a wonderful job of answering things without actually answering anything...so out of the many many many questions I've asked and you've dodged I'll ask some again. There absolutely may be someone in Hollywood that could love your script, what are you actively doing to get in their hands? You've mentioned other marketing tools you're using, what are they? How come in every single presence you've created online to "promote" your screenplay you don't offer up the very basic and very routine tag line and synopsis? If Rounders 2 is a hit why would that make your screenplay more marketable? It may make "poker" more marketable as a concept but why would they seek out/produce your script rather then sourcing out the desire for poker movies to established writers?

Your Wizard of Oz example is essentially pointless because regardless of initial audience response somebody still got the script in their hand and believed in that vision, they were able to get it made and in front of the audience in the first place. That's a significant further down the yellow brick road then we are talking about here.

Aside any success a Rounders 2 were to see doesn't necessarily mean the flood gates open up for poker movies. Rounders really wasn't a poker movie- it was a relatable concept and a likeable character which many people could identify with. A guy who is going down a path he feels is safe or others want him to, rather then following what he's passionate about. Professor Petrovsky even explains it in the film when he talks about getting the boot from his family when he went into law rather then to be a rabbi. Poker served as an interesting back drop because it was a largely unseen/unknown thing back then but the characters, their struggles and overall point of the movie could've been transferred to any number of concepts and been appealing.

• Like 1
You are here toting the 'importance" of your work and "how the poker world needs it" but yet by your own words there was nothing discernible about it to the industry insiders who read it to look to push it forward.
You're something else, you have a way of attributing words to me that aren't mine. You've done it twice regarding my actual script dialogue and now you're doing it again-- "nothing discernible about it" are not my own words as you claimed. For the 3rd time please be accurate when you attribute words to me.

Why? If an Andy Beal or Sam Simon or Matt Damon or whoever wanted to be involved in a poker movie why would they seek out a screenplay from 2009 that nobody has had interest in and spend money on it?
The judges from 3 contests had interest in it and I have turned down offers to buy the script because the price was too low. And I haven't been totally active marketing it over the past few years.. A lot of time was spent on rewrites since then. I think the current rewritten edition of the script is about 25% better than the script that won a 1st place award at the Nevada Film Festival.

Unfortunately my script came out right after "Lucky You" and "Deal" hit the theaters which was probably the worse timing for a poker themed script to come out. These two films very likely hurt the marketing of my script over the past years.. But all it takes is for 1 person to give a movie where poker is an important element another chance. In fact it looks like Harvey Weinstein is doing just that with Rounders 2.

Why wouldn't they just go to one of the many established writers they could get in contact with and ask them to write something?
They could, but if I was them I'd take my chances on an already completed script that has won 3 honors and was written by a guy who lived in Vegas almost 10 years.

You're something else, you have a way of attributing words to me that aren't mine. You've done it twice regarding my actual script dialogue and now you're doing it again-- "nothing discernible about it" are not my own words as you claimed. For the 3rd time please be accurate when you attribute words to me.

The judges from 3 contests had interest in it. And I haven't been actively marketing it since 2009. A lot of time was spent on rewrites since then. I think the current rewritten edition of the script is about 25% better than the script that won a 1st place award at the Nevada Film Festival. And unfortunately my script came out right after "Lucky You" and "Deal" hit the theatres which was probably the worse timing for a poker themed script to come out. These two films very likely hurt the marketing of my script over the past years.. But all it takes is for 1 person to give a movie where poker is an important element script another chance. In fact it looks like Harvey Weinstein is doing just that with Rounders 2.

They could, but I'd take my chances with an already completed script that has won 3 honors and was written from a guy who lived in Vegas almost 10 years.

Are you being intentionally dense? Honestly? Nothing discernible about it is something that I've said multiple takes which is clearly the case I've not once contributed that to you. Your entire theme of this and every thread regarding this issue is stating the importance of your screenplay for the poker world and how it's big news for the poker world.

You've not shown or expressed that these judges had any interest whatsoever in your screenplay outside of the competitions. You haven't been actively marketing since 2009 but the majority of your online posting via forums, Facebook and twitter is far more recent then that so again why the missing elements? Lucky You came out in 07, deal in 08, certainly there's been ample time since for your award winning script to gain steam.

You would suggest that people with money, means and connections would be better suited going after your five year old screenplay then going to professional award winning screenwriters with proven track records, likely in a number of genres.

In fact you boast about this award winning 2009 screenplay and then state that since then you've rewritten or edited and made it even better. If this 2009 award winning screenplay was what the poker world was asking for then why the need to rewrite it at all? The fact that you lived in Vegas isn't a selling feature as a writer. Spike Jonze just won an Oscar for best original screenplay and never lived in the future...Ronald Bass never lived the life of Rain Man...Tarantino never lived the life detailed in Pulp Fiction...Marc Norman never lived in the time of Shakespeare and so on and so on and so on

• Like 1
...Your entire theme of this and every thread regarding this issue is stating the importance of your screenplay for the poker world and how it's big news for the poker world...
For the fourth time you've misrepresented my words; I never said it was "big" news, I said this in post 87:

"It doesn't make sense to take it out on {hate} a guy who brought a "little" positive news to the poker community which has had almost nothing but bad news for years".

For the fourth time you misrepresent my words; I never said it was "big" news, I said in post 87

"It doesn't make sense to take it out on {hate} a guy who brought a "little" positive news to the poker community which has had almost nothing but bad news for years".

I'm fairly certain to anyone with an iq above that of an average rock that its clear what you've written, what I've written, the narrative in what you've expressed and any hyperbole that may have been injected. It's also utterly clear that you've taken every opportunity possible to comment on the insignificant and avoid almost all relevant questioning and every logical point.

You've dodged, danced around or outright ignored just about every reasonable point made. A helluva lot more then four times. You quote posts and respond or comment on the most mundane insignificant point and willfully ignore everything else.

When I quantify the importance of a word or a phrase with the use of quotation marks it is not a direct assertion as to a verbatim word or sentence that you inparticular may have made. It in fact in no way certifies a direct quote. This is another very simple fact that a multi award winning screenwriter such as yourself should be well aware of.

• Like 1

God speed. I'd have had the kind of energy for this kind of HAM back in 2007. These days, all I can muster is some contempt and zingers. But Game Recognize game

Yeah, I wish I still had the emotional energy to devote to thumping someone this relentlessly.

Yeah, I wish I still had the emotional energy to devote to thumping someone this relentlessly.

I wish I had something better to do with my time at the moment...