Paula Deen Threed

not as I agree with everything that goes on in this crazy world but I would assume that all the companies that are dropping MRS. Deen Would drop every movie and rap album that use the same word she used 27 years ago.

People don't change. At least that's prevailing attitude here in 'murica. As much as we like to applaud the 2nd chance made good story, none of us really believe it. For every story we see about the recovered crack addict that goes out and starts a successful business, we're secretly just waiting for the addict to crack under the pressure and relapse because it makes us feel better about our own shitty lives. About our own failures. About every squandered opportunity and every obstacle we've let deter us. We don't really believe in rehabilitated criminals, we're just longing for the day we'll find a few heads in the freezer.

Interestingly enough, the word 'fag' is traveling down this same track.

In the 1980's, calling someone a faggot was ordinary shorthand, it was in Sixteen Candles or a Dire Straits lyric, but now it's thoughtcrime.

Likewise, with the word niggger isn't exactly an enormous shock coming from a fat old Crackress raised in the Andebellum south.

This is akin to attacking anyone born before 1980 for saying the word 'faggot' as being a homophobe.

The reason this is an issue is because Paula Deen has always been the sort of person the 'coastal' types in charge of the media love to hate. She's an old, southern white woman. Had all things been equal but she were an Oriental Lesbian Jew who talked about saying niggger 29 years ago in some random deposition, it would not have made page 30 of the Peoria Times.

She is a massive value play right now. If I had some food product or homeware line, knowing the position she's in right now, I'd be getting in touch with her people to get an exclusivity contract and set up a product launch a year from today when this is out of the news. At this point, she'd probably represent any credible product for free, they'd get a shitload of buzz and much like the anti-backlash that occured when Chick-Fil-A did a gajillion in busiless because the entire country turned out to counter a few squealing internet homos, the silent majority here would get in line right behind her once again demonstrating that a tiny group of people with an agenda and the media at their disposal isn't quite enough to shift everyone.

what chick fil a did was absurdly dumb. it worked, but it was a risk they should not have taken, and probably were not conscious of until that whole uproar happened.

I would go far enough to say that the CEO would probably have been ousted if it were a public company.

Back in the early 70's people told Polish jokes on TV and it was no big deal, unless I guess you were Polish.

Hell, Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney did blackface minstrel musical scenes in two of their movies. Yes both Judy (America's sweetheart) and Mickey put on blackface in two movies and sang and danced while they had it on.

I think people have to take into consideration different times have different standards.. I also think you have to take into consideration Paula Deen is 66 and grew up in the Deep South which had a culture that was light years away from today's more enlightened standard..

You guys know that this wasn't just about her using the n word, right? I mean a couple years ago she went on and on about having a wedding for her brother that encapsulated the old south and blacks were slaves. She talked about dressing them up, making them use the back door, and treating them like her animals. And this was apparently pretty normal stuff for the whole family. They made black employees work at her home parties for free and paid them with beer, cus ya know that's wat makes dem niggers happy. She is a racist and has no excuse. She could have let this pass with an apology, but she still doesn't get that she isn't the victim and won't stop whining long enough about how mistreated she is, and holds no ounce of compassion for those she has been screwing over the last 30 years. The real idiot is her attorney for ever letting her near that deposition. He should have told her to show up with a check book and an open mind.

They made black employees work at her home parties for free and paid them with beer, cus ya know that's wat makes dem niggers happy.

It is indeed what makes them happy, but nevertheless I'm guessing she didn't pull a switch-a-roo on them. She probably announced that she needed a couple darkies for a party and pay would be in leftover barwares. There was undoubtably a waiting list.

If I fly to Thailand and buy a 15 year old girl, would she be an Oriental?

Girl? No

What kinda scratch does that cost these days? Renting a 16 year old girl for the week

You guys know that this wasn't just about her using the n word, right? I mean a couple years ago she went on and on about having a wedding for her brother that encapsulated the old south and blacks were slaves. She talked about dressing them up, making them use the back door, and treating them like her animals. And this was apparently pretty normal stuff for the whole family. They made black employees work at her home parties for free and paid them with beer, cus ya know that's wat makes dem niggers happy. She is a racist and has no excuse. She could have let this pass with an apology, but she still doesn't get that she isn't the victim and won't stop whining long enough about how mistreated she is, and holds no ounce of compassion for those she has been screwing over the last 30 years. The real idiot is her attorney for ever letting her near that deposition. He should have told her to show up with a check book and an open mind.

Get off jezebel.com for crying out loud.