Off Topic, Kinda.....

Toronto Fire Service fired 3 employees for tweeting misognystic statements. In fact, the statements were quotes from 'The Office'

and from 'Family Guy'. They did it on private twitter and didn't identify themselves as FF's. Right or wrong?

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

Toronto Fire Service fired 3 employees for tweeting misognystic statements. In fact, the statements were quotes from 'The Office'

and from 'Family Guy'. They did it on private twitter and didn't identify themselves as FF's. Right or wrong?

I dont know. I only know that once you start firing the "obvious" ones, its going to be really hard to know where you draw the lines with the others.

FF #1- I overheard FF #3 say this at a FF function!!

FF #2- I also heard FF #3 say same thing.

do you fire FF#3?

What if you read his diary? Can you fire him if he thinks homosexuality is wrong, as per his religion?

I used to be a manager with a large sporting goods chain and I was at stores at Yorkdale and Promenade Mall. As an example if I was found to have made comments supporting the holocaust and somebody stole a private picture of me in my SS Stormtooper outfit they would totally be allowed to fire me.

What if you made comments that the Armenian Genocide never happened? Can I fire you if I own the large sporting goods store?

I tell you that I have lots of Armenian customers, my own family owns the business, and you are hurting my rep.

You still ok with that?

• Like 1

I dont know. I only know that once you start firing the "obvious" ones, its going to be really hard to know where you draw the lines with the others.

FF #1- I overheard FF #3 say this at a FF function!!

FF #2- I also heard FF #3 say same thing.

do you fire FF#3?

What if you read his diary? Can you fire him if he thinks homosexuality is wrong, as per his religion?

I agree. Where do you draw the line? That's the big question. And, to add a twist to the discussion, the reason the City of Toronto fired those 3 was to protect themselves liability wise. They said clearly at the meetings that they knew that the 3 would get their jobs back when it was appealed, but decided to go this route anyway. They didn't care what was said. They cared about the consequences of the blowback from what was said. That, to me, is despicable too.

What if you made comments that the Armenian Genocide never happened? Can I fire you if I own the large sporting goods store?

I tell you that I have lots of Armenian customers, my own family owns the business, and you are hurting my rep.

You still ok with that?

You can fire anybody, if there isn't cause you just have to pay them to go away.

Every situation is different and unique. Whether somebody saying that the Armenian Genocide didn't happen is grounds for firing is going to depend on the circumstances. If I have a private debate with you on what constitutes genocide and that I'm not sure what the Ottoman Government did to the Armenians qualifies that probably isn't cause for firing but you can fire me but pay me severance. If I get in your face or a customers and say actively negative things about Armenians that would be grounds and if you found out I was racist against Armenians in private that also would be grounds in my opinion.

You can fire anybody, if there isn't cause you just have to pay them to go away.

lol, you are a good debater. Always changing the focus of the discussion to fit your arguments. I'm through with this.

I look forward to the next NBA player who says something offensive, and everyone screams free speech/political correctness has run amok and he gets fined a quarter for calling someone a fag.

lol, you are a good debater. Always changing the focus of the discussion to fit your arguments. I'm through with this.

I look forward to the next NBA player who says something offensive, and everyone screams free speech/political correctness has run amok and he gets fined a quarter for calling someone a fag.

I'm not really sure what your position is ?

Is it that there shouldn't be consequences to people's speech or actions if those are supposed to have been in private ?

If your position is that there is a huge amount of hypocrisy and that there are double standards all over the place I won't argue that point and will agree with you.

I tend to view every situation differently since I'm a shades of grey person and I don't usually see things as being black or white which is why I tend to keep my comments about this specific situation.

I'm pretty sure Jewish black lesbians will rule the world some day.

If he got V pregnant the baby would be Jewish black Mexican.

Arp what do you think would have been a more appropriate penalty?

I think given that sponsors were bailing the team in droves and universal disgust from the players I think that (a) banning the owner from the league for some time period is appropriate (b) the team's value would crater so better to sell it sooner than later © the 2.5 million fine seems kind of petty (even though it will go to charity) given the boatload of cash he will pocket over the sale.

It's kind of insane the amount outcry over this has received but barely a peep over systematic racism present in the States (but of course couched in class/political/etc angles). Also given the double standard in the argument -- it was bad for her to be in those pictures because he was a white princess (or something like that) smacked of 1950s sexism. Disappointed there was no mention about that.

I dont think the teams value is going to go down at all....Without Sterling, the sponsors will come back for sure...Nothing to do with the players, managament, arena(although could be better deal) or market...One of the best markets in country...

Once Sterling is out of picture, the team will flourish...Maybe they win a championship this year..that would be interesting.

Arp what do you think would have been a more appropriate penalty?

I don't know. I'm not necessarily of the belief that this punishment was too light or too hard, I just don't understand why this one particular act has everyone in such an uproar and suddenly ready to boycott the NBA. If anything, I suppose I would say a lifetime ban+forced sale of his team would be fine, as long as you are going to be consistent. Just remember you are banning a person from life, for words. Not for actions, but for words.

Would Kobe have been banned for life if found guilty of rape and served some nominal 2year sentence?

If your position is that there is a huge amount of hypocrisy and that there are double standards all over the place I won't argue that point and will agree with you.

Yup.

I tend to view every situation differently since I'm a shades of grey person and I don't usually see things as being black or white which is why I tend to keep my comments about this specific situation.

Sounds like your saying everything on a case by case basis....and thats ok for your views as an outsider, deciding on the whims of your moods of that moment in time.

But that doesn't work in law, and that shouldn't work in an organization like the NBA.

I dont know if you guys saw this, but I heard a rumour about a high ranking NBA executive was quoted as saying they should have an all white League.

I think it was Larry Bird or Kevin McHale.

I dont know if you guys saw this, but I heard a rumour about a high ranking NBA executive was quoted as saying they should have an all white League.

I think it was Larry Bird or Kevin McHale.

you cant be serious? really??

btw this sets such a terrible precedence that will not be followed...

Yup.

Sounds like your saying everything on a case by case basis....and thats ok for your views as an outsider, deciding on the whims of your moods of that moment in time.

But that doesn't work in law, and that shouldn't work in an organization like the NBA.

Correct..Law is all about precedence.

Like I said before, the part that infuriates me is that this is nothing new for Donald Sterling. He's been an out of the closet racist for a long LONG time. Now, because there's a social media backlash, the NBA acts. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because they're forced into it. That pisses me off no end.

• Like 1

you cant be serious? really??

btw this sets such a terrible precedence that will not be followed...

Oops, my bad, it was Larry Johnson, who I think is asst GM or head of player development with the NY Knicks.

Like I said before, the part that infuriates me is that this is nothing new for Donald Sterling. He's been an out of the closet racist for a long LONG time. Now, because there's a social media backlash, the NBA acts. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because they're forced into it. That pisses me off no end.

Sooo agree.

This guy is a piece of crap, but he was this way long long before some taped conversation was leaked by TMZ.

Got to be impressed with the power of the players though...well, you know, once they had woken up.

Oops, my bad, it was Larry Johnson, who I think is asst GM or head of player development with the NY Knicks.

LOL... there's another thing: If Larry Bird had said that, it would be racist. But somehow, most people think if Larry Johnson says it, it's more okay.

LOL... there's another thing: If Larry Bird had said that, it would be racist. But somehow, most people think if Larry Johnson says it, it's more okay.

Of course it would.

What I'm curious to see is if they catch an owner using the word ******. Is that a lifetime offence now too? I guess it would be, unless the owner was black and he was just singing the most popular songs on the radio.

Listen, I want to make it crsytal clear I am not condoning anything this guy said, or his type of racist attitudes. I just want to know what the hell kind of rules are we all playing under and is social media the only way anything matters anymore?

• Like 1