Off Topic, Kinda.....

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

Thanks Arp!

And for the record, there are times when being "politically correct" goes too far and is annoying/stupid whatever (ahem.. "Happy Holidays"), but it's better than the alternative.

At the risk of annoying Serge further.

News flash: Political correctness is not ruining anything, let alone your great country. Political correctness is also not unique in any way shape or form to America, so the idea that it is, or even is contributing to ruining any country is absurd.

IN MY OPINION "Politically correct" is a buzz word used mostly by people who don't like that society in general is no longer OK with them being an A-hole. The need to be "politically correct" is a natural evolution that comes along with the increased exposure we have to all walks of life, society, religion, lifestyle etc.. as our society continues to develop and our actions and words become more and more public.

Being "politically correct" is really, at it's roots about being respectful and civil. Or, as you might put it: Being a giant Pussy.

There, I hope you enjoyed my liberal, left-wing kook, panty wearing tree hugger rant.

This was so good I actually broke a long standing rule about 'liking' or 'favouriting' and did exactly that.

Here's the thing serge - not everyone is like you. And I mean that in a bad way - not everyone is a considerate, attentive, involved father and husband, with polite and helpful children and who's first reaction to a bad grade wouldn't be to discuss with the student. There are plenty of assholes who's first reaction to a B would be to blame the teacher, blame the school and in general teach their kid poor lessons while wasting everyone's time. That's who that email is to. If it seemed obvious to you, like it would for most of us, then I don't see why you wouldn't just ignore it, unless you believed jerks like I described don't exist.

Its also really pointless to keep saying you don't hate liberals or anyone while also constantly insulting them, blaming them for every problem, etc

Danny

Lot of your responses are bit weird as they always come 15-24 hours after. I'm usually not as passionate at that point and you make more sense. If I wait 24 hours to post you guys would see better posts and probably agree with me more. We tell the parents on the team wait 24 hours if you are upset or want to discuss anything with coach.

Danny

Lot of your responses are bit weird as they always come 15-24 hours after. I'm usually not as passionate at that point and you make more sense. If I wait 24 hours to post you guys would see better posts and probably agree with me more. We tell the parents on the team wait 24 hours if you are upset or want to discuss anything with coach.

Would you like us to send you a letter to remind you? :)

• Like 2

Here's the thing serge - not everyone is like you. And I mean that in a bad way - not everyone is a considerate, attentive, involved father and husband, with polite and helpful children and who's first reaction to a bad grade wouldn't be to discuss with the student. There are plenty of assholes who's first reaction to a B would be to blame the teacher, blame the school and in general teach their kid poor lessons while wasting everyone's time. That's who that email is to. If it seemed obvious to you, like it would for most of us, then I don't see why you wouldn't just ignore it, unless you believed jerks like I described don't exist.

Its also really pointless to keep saying you don't hate liberals or anyone while also constantly insulting them, blaming them for every problem, etc

just think of the way normally coherent individuals lose all perspective regarding their children while watching them play sports. Some parents have that same visceral reaction to academics. I've seen it.

Maybe this is just confirmation bias, but I would think there would be zero chance of making it down a bobsled track on a toboggan without injury, even if there was no gate to run into. It makes me sick to think about the moments before they hit the gate, when they were all probably realizing that they were going too fast, and that they'd made a mistake, but there was nothing they could do about it.

Yeah, all those things crossed my mind after my initial pop up too. I was never the type to actually do something like that. And that moment of realizing they were going too fast is something I thought of too. Man that would be terrifying.

Anyone have any must listen to podcasts? I'm back to exercising and prefer podcasts to music.

I listened to Tim and Sid today.

non sports:

FiveThirtyEight Elections

Waking Up with Sam Harris

Common Sense with Dan Carlin

Orbital Path

Tell 'Em Steve Dave

I'm meh on the new season of Serial but season 1 is great

I assume you're caught up on Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

The Joe Rogan Experience can have some excellent guests but his podcasts. you have to pick and choose due to length.

Stuff You Should Know is also one that you have to pick and choose based on the subject

Monday Morning Podcast by Bill Burr can be pretty funny

I almost exclusively listen to comedy podcasts...

The non-comedy ones include 99% Invisible and Freakonomics.

My favorite comedy podcasts are:

• Never Not Funny with Jimmy Pardo
  • You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes (though I ignore the weird ones where he goes and talks to spiritual gurus)
  • Doug Love Movies (Doug Benson kind of a movie-related game show)
  • Comedy Bang Bang
  • Nerdist