Off Topic, Kinda.....

I'm always blown away by the sheer amount of private swimming pools in Google aerial imagery. The amount of waste people pour into "status symbols" is soooooooo excessive!!!

Im confused, you think a swimming pool is a status symbol?

I dont have one, not trying to defend anything, just trying to figure it out. Which since you're posting, makes me think I am doing a poor job of it, :)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

I'm always blown away by the sheer amount of private swimming pools in Google aerial imagery. The amount of waste people pour into "status symbols" is soooooooo excessive!!!

That really is ignorant and not very bright IMO..

Swimming pools are great thing to have when you have kids...

Lol at status symbol...

This is fun. Biatch finds a way to troll me on Twitter despite having been blocked for years.

Luckily, he's blocked here too, so I can typically avoid his harassment.

What a classy person.

Lol that isn't my opinion. Zach tweeted that earlier. I just wrote his tweet Vrbata.

He blocked me tho, so I couldn't RT it so I posted it here.

I knew it was something like that. I thought for sure you were posting someone elses stuff too, didnt think about Zach.

I dont follow him anymore, so didnt see it. (sorry Z, though I know you dont really care)

I dont even understand the argument,,,,are we running out of space in Canada or something?

If some guy made enough money to buy a big house and put in a pool, well, fck, its called Capitalism.

btw I was pissed of at Zach a few months ago and I blocked his posts..It was a tilt thing..Now I want to unblock him but cant figure it out..So everytime I have to click on his post to see it anyways..

Fun times.

I dont even understand the argument,,,,are we running out of space in Canada or something?

If some guy made enough money to buy a big house and put in a pool, well, fck, its called Capitalism.

I dont think a pool is a status symbol..Love to hear the argument that it is.

btw I was pissed of at Zach a few months ago and I blocked his posts..It was a tilt thing..Now I want to unblock him but cant figure it out..So everytime I have to click on his post to see it anyways..

Fun times.

If you want...

L2ixQDLZRb8CJpQBrowL.jpg

Manage ignore prefs or whatever that is and you can toggle what you want to show.

• Like 1

haha, Bobs replied are so perfect. The arrogance of that citypainter guy. What a fcking classic example of a hipster doofus who thinks he knows it all.

Im in a bad mood, this is a bad time for me to post. Ill stop now.

I dont think a pool is a status symbol..Love to hear the argument that it is.

I don't know either, but that's what someone replied to my tweet. I didn't call it that, though I didn't argue it in my reply.

Firstly, I don't find pools entertaining, but I know families do.

I think it's weird that basically every house has one. It's an interesting shift in our society. It used to be there was a neighbourhood pool where everyone would go. I know personal pools are being entirely exclusive or anything, and friends are coming over all the time, etc, but I like the randomness of social interaction at a public place better. Just my opinion.

The killers in San Bernardino are now being reported as " being radicalized for quite some time"

They are also using terms like DYI radicalization.

the power of the internet and social media is huge these days

one of the greatest strengths that ISIS has as an organization is producing high quality sophisticated multi media campaigns on the net and through social media that connect with a lot of people

This is paraphrasing somebody else. 20 years ago that one young Muslim in Minnesota who might be influenced by this stuff into becoming "radicalized" probably doesn't get exposed to it. Today it's all there for them to see.

I don't know either, but that's what someone replied to my tweet. I didn't call it that, though I didn't argue it in my reply.

Firstly, I don't find pools entertaining, but I know families do.

I think it's weird that basically every house has one. It's an interesting shift in our society. It used to be there was a neighbourhood pool where everyone would go. I know personal pools are being entirely exclusive or anything, and friends are coming over all the time, etc, but I like the randomness of social interaction at a public place better. Just my opinion.

Here we are one of the few people that actually dont have a pool..But my in laws, brother in law, cousing all have pools so we are at their place...Bit different here than in Toronto as a pool is used more ...

the power of the internet and social media is huge these days

one of the greatest strengths that ISIS has as an organization is producing high quality sophisticated multi media campaigns on the net and through social media that connect with a lot of people

This is paraphrasing somebody else. 20 years ago that one young Muslim in Minnesota who might be influenced by this stuff into becoming "radicalized" probably doesn't get exposed to it. Today it's all there for them to see.

I agree, this is what makes this enemy so dangerous..I guess you can equate radicalizing to brain washing..There are a lot of young impressionable US passport carrying muslims that are just ripe for radicalization...Its scary and they are our neighbors and friends.

Did you hear the one about the American teenager who was executed by his own government without any kind of due process? Probably not.

If you're wondering why you've been left in the dark on such a grim tale, perhaps you should ask television "news" networks like CNN, FOX, and MSNBC. These networks would seemingly rather focus on pointless celebrity drama (CNN), or dramatize childish partisan nonsense (FOX, MSNBC), instead of telling you the story of the Colorado-born teenager whose life was cut short by a taxpayer-funded hellfire missile.

The teen, whom we'll refer to for now as "Adam", enjoyed playing football with his friends. He was a swimmer. He liked computer games. He watched movies.

In late 2002, Adam and his father moved to Britain, and then Yemen in 2004.

In 2008, US intelligence agencies made theclaim that Adam's father had been a "spiritual counselor" for some of the 9/11hijackers, and by 2010, his father was placed on a secret government "kill list". The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit on behalf of Adam's father to challenge the government's assertion that it could kill citizens without due process, but the case was dismissed.

Around 6:30 am on September 4th, 2011, Adam quietly slipped away from his family home in Sana, Yemen, leaving behind a notefor his mother: "I am sorry for leaving in this kind of way," he wrote. "Forgive me. I miss my father and want to see if I can go and talk to him." But as it turned out, Adam would never get a chance to talk to his father, because on the 30th of September, Nobel Peace Prize recipient Barack Obama authorized two US predator drones to kill the man. There would be no trial, no jury - just a mere accusation of guilt by faceless officials and a subsequent execution.

Shortly after hearing news of his father's death, Adam, his 17-year-old cousin with whom he had been staying, and a few other friends set up a barbecue and celebrated their last night together. Adam called his mother and planned to return home the next day - a promise to be broken against his best intentions. He would never see either of his parents again.

As the teens chatted and ate dinner, the drones that killed Adam's father returned once again to spill more blood, quietly watching from above with a powerful robotic gaze. Soon enough, the order came through from thousands of miles away and the aerial death machines dutifully obeyed, instantaneously launching screaming missiles at the boys and engulfing them in the hell of a suffocating inferno.

Desperate to justify their actions, the US government initially claimed that Adam had been in the "wrong place at the wrong time" and that the intended target of the drones was a "senior al-Qaeda operative" named Ibrahim al-Banna, a man who later turned up alive and well.

Moreover, news media reports at the time went so far as to suggest that Adam was not a teenager, but a grown man with ties to al-Qaeda, an utterly baseless claim, but not one without a purpose. Referring to Adam as "military-age" at the time of death meant that by international protocols he would therefore be considered a legitimate target.

If the government can get away with killing US citizens overseas, how long will it be until the killings come home? And more importantly, what kind of post-9/11 precedent is being established by the dominant political parties in the US whenboth support the murder of US citizenswithout due process? Perhaps these questions aren't being asked yet becauseAdam's name is actually Abdulrahman, and when a foreign-sounding name like his is thrown across American newspapers, nobody really seems all too concerned by it. Yet, if the headlines had in fact read "Adam" instead of "Abdulrahman", how differently might this incident have played out?

~Jon Reynolds

"I really feel disappointed that this crime is going to be forgotten. I think the American people ought to know what really happened and how the power of their government is being abused by this Administration. Americans should start asking why a boy was targeted for killing. In addition to my grandson's killing, the missile killed my brother's grandson, who was a 17-year-old kid, who was not an American citizen but is a human being, killed in cold blood. I cannot comprehend how my teenage grandson was killed by a Hellfire missile, how nothing was left of him except small pieces of flesh. Why? Is America safer now that a boy was killed? ... I urge the American people to bring the killers to justice. I urge them to expose the hypocrisy of the 2009 Nobel Prize laureate. To some, he may be that. To me and my family, he is nothing more than a child killer."

-- Nasser al-Awlaki (Abdulrahman's grandfather)

I agree, this is what makes this enemy so dangerous..I guess you can equate radicalizing to brain washing..There are a lot of young impressionable US passport carrying muslims that are just ripe for radicalization...Its scary and they are our neighbors and friends.

This is a really good post to help understand things better.

http://blog.supplysideliberal.com/post/134635704999/noah-smith-sunni-islam-is-failing

haha, Bobs replied are so perfect. The arrogance of that citypainter guy. What a fcking classic example of a hipster doofus who thinks he knows it all.

Im in a bad mood, this is a bad time for me to post. Ill stop now.

Haha my fav part was hipster doofus

I wonder if maybe we didn't alienate and marginalize them within our societies, they'd be less likely to be radicalised?

• Like 1

Donald Trump:

Block all Muslims from Entering the US.

Now this is getting a bit ridicolous

Trump has always been ridiculous, he's just taking it past 11 to 15 now.