Off Topic, Kinda.....

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

Serge, have any of your news sources mentioned how the US war against ISIS is illegal?

im afraid to ask why it's illegal.

Person 1: Pedestrians aren't to blame for wearing headphones when accidents happen on the road. Don't blame them, they are the victim!!!!!

Lol Zach tweets...

im afraid to ask why it's illegal.

Being afraid to ask is an epidemic. It's almost as if people are brainwashed ;)

Anyway, it's illegal because going to war needs to be approved by Congress.

Of course, I'm sure the defense will be (not that they need a defense because they're not accountable to anyone) that ISIS isn't a country.

Why are CNN and FOX, YAHOO and every other media outlet lying to us, but you treat a kookie blog post as gospel.

Why is it a kookie blog post, Serge? He provides links and he says the same things many others do.

And you don't know why CNN and FOX are lying?

Do you actually know how many impressionable young American-Muslims are just ripe for radicalization or is "a lot" as far as you got in your research?

okay, to be fair Dale, you subject Fox, CNN, et all to scrutiny and deem them untruthful (not incorrectly, I must say) based on what others have written or said. Yet you accept posts without vetting as truth....why? If you're going to hold media under the spotlight (and that's not a bad thing to do), then you must hold every other source under the same spotlight or you're making your self a ripe target to be propagandized.

okay, to be fair Dale, you subject Fox, CNN, et all to scrutiny and deem them untruthful (not incorrectly, I must say) based on what others have written or said. Yet you accept posts without vetting as truth....why? If you're going to hold media under the spotlight (and that's not a bad thing to do), then you must hold every other source under the same spotlight or you're making your self a ripe target to be propagandized.

Because that's not the only place I've read such things. I've read the same things in plenty of places. And let's be honest...who can you really believe these days? To me, it's a matter of reading things with the mindset that they may or may not be true and coming to your own conclusion based on many factors.

Because that's not the only place I've read such things. I've read the same things in plenty of places. And let's be honest...who can you really believe these days? To me, it's a matter of reading things with the mindset that they may or may not be true and coming to your own conclusion based on many factors.

Okay, fair enough in principal. But you understand that I've only seen you decry en masse anything put out by mass media, while taking single source articles and declaring them as worthy of consideration.

Okay, fair enough in principal. But you understand that I've only seen you decry en masse anything put out by mass media, while taking single source articles and declaring them as worthy of consideration.

Well to be honest it's hard to post a link to one source when finding what I believe to be the truth is like sifting through a river of shit for a few gold nuggets.

And I'm sure the mass media does throw in some truth. Nobody believes anyone who lies all the time. It's much more effective to lie only some of the time, no?

I just ran across this and wanted to share mainly because of the Conan videos.

I'm not sure if activepost has a hidden agenda.

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/03/6-examples-of-media-manipulation.html

Well to be honest it's hard to post a link to one source when finding what I believe to be the truth is like sifting through a river of shit for a few gold nuggets.

And I'm sure the mass media does throw in some truth. Nobody believes anyone who lies all the time. It's much more effective to lie only some of the time, no?

I just ran across this and wanted to share mainly because of the Conan videos.

I'm not sure if activepost has a hidden agenda.

http://www.activistp...nipulation.html

So do you think you suffer at all from the principal of pre-determining what YOU believe the truth may be and searching for sources to corroborate it? Same discussion I have with my wife all the time: you can point out the one article that says feeding your kids whisky is great for them because it substantiates your own theory, while ignoring reams of research that suggests it isn't. (NOT A REAL LIFE EXAMPLE).

Anyway, look... I think it's good to seek the truth. I read MULTIPLE news sources and independent journalists to seek as close as I can find to the real story. And I agree that MSM has become politicized and agenda-oriented to the point of being worthless. I wouldn't put down your views, because some of them may be right, and you may be the person to open my eyes to something I'm missing. But you have a hard-core edge that suggests your POV is the correct one, and more specifically the ONLY correct one, and that leads me to want to poke holes in it instead of looking into it.

So do you think you suffer at all from the principal of pre-determining what YOU believe the truth may be and searching for sources to corroborate it? Same discussion I have with my wife all the time: you can point out the one article that says feeding your kids whisky is great for them because it substantiates your own theory, while ignoring reams of research that suggests it isn't. (NOT A REAL LIFE EXAMPLE).

Anyway, look... I think it's good to seek the truth. I read MULTIPLE news sources and independent journalists to seek as close as I can find to the real story. And I agree that MSM has become politicized and agenda-oriented to the point of being worthless. I wouldn't put down your views, because some of them may be right, and you may be the person to open my eyes to something I'm missing. But you have a hard-core edge that suggests your POV is the correct one, and more specifically the ONLY correct one, and that leads me to want to poke holes in it instead of looking into it.

I'm glad you want to poke holes in it!!!

I consider myself an extremely openminded person. I'm presenting what I believe to be true. If what you or someone else believes to be true contradicts my beliefs then I can disagree with you but who's to say who's right or wrong unless there is some mutually accepted proof?

I don't believe in a god. Billions do. I can't prove them wrong so how can I say they're wrong (and really mean it)? I can also accept that just believing in a god means one exists...I really don't know. I mean, it doesn't have to be tangible to exist, right.

Santa Claus is a real thing for kids. Does Santa Claus exist until we find out he's not real?

Anyway, my two fields of study are psychology and journalism. I try to look for information without any preconceived notions. I'm not looking for evidence to support what I believe. I typically look for things to dispute what I believe and then see if they hold any weight. Obviously, I'm human so I have biases that I'm likely not completely aware of.

Anyway I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything..other than to seek out information on their own.

I would love to be proven wrong about many of the things I believe because a lot of it is some scary-ass shit.

Matthew Yglesias ‏@mattyglesias 35m35 minutes ago Washington, DC

Hard to believe a country founded on genocidal land-theft, freedom of religion, and slavery could produce a figure like Donald Trump.