Off Topic, Kinda.....

Who isn't being there at all? I don't really understand what you're getting at.

I was just following your lead at grouping all conspiracies as valid and important and everyone who ignores them as heads up their asses. If you'd like to discuss any in detail, I'd be happy to.

And yes, my process for deciding whether to dismiss or consider something is whether it has a reasonable logical basis.

I'm not sure who you were referring to as being slower to react...the authorities who are already armed and in close proximity to the actual shootings or the people being shot at? It wasn't very clear, but it doesn't really matter...

I'm unclear how quick someone would need to be to avoid being shot by an assault rifle in a public place.

I didn't say all conspiracy theories were valid. That would be just as ignorant and stupid as claiming they were all invalid.

Providing irrefutable proof is next to impossible because there will always be an element of doubt. If that's what you're looking for then we may as well end the conversation now.

Have you ever heard of Operation Gladio? The Strategy of Tension?

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

I'm not sure who you were referring to as being slower to react...the authorities who are already armed and in close proximity to the actual shootings or the people being shot at? It wasn't very clear, but it doesn't really matter...

I'm unclear how quick someone would need to be to avoid being shot by an assault rifle in a public place.

I didn't say all conspiracy theories were valid. That would be just as ignorant and stupid as claiming they were all invalid.

Providing irrefutable proof is next to impossible because there will always be an element of doubt. If that's what you're looking for then we may as well end the conversation now.

Have you ever heard of Operation Gladio? The Strategy of Tension?

When there is a planned fire drill, people move a hell of a lot slower than if it is unplanned/real. That seems obvious.

Irrefutable proof is different than a reasonable test of logic and evidence. Wikipedia tells me that the "Strategy of Tension" theory relies heavily on a proven forgery, yhough I realize that "proven" in this case may well be open to examination (and I don't expect Wikipedia to consider such details).

I would guess situations like Gladio and Tension are not at all uncommon, mostly on a smaller scale but also larger, kind of like how we just learned that little thing about how the NSA was conducting incredibly illegal and invasive spying on every American and plenty of non-Americans, all based on some ruling out of a secret court. So yeah, they happen, and they happen all over. They are also generally much simpler and more direct than the Internet detectives who ignore big chunks of logic and evidence like to suggest when selling their tinfoil hats (other than the NSA one, still think it's amazing that anyone even refers to the constitution after that, or that it didn't bring about huge revolution)

When there is a planned fire drill, people move a hell of a lot slower than if it is unplanned/real. That seems obvious.

Irrefutable proof is different than a reasonable test of logic and evidence. Wikipedia tells me that the "Strategy of Tension" theory relies heavily on a proven forgery, yhough I realize that "proven" in this case may well be open to examination (and I don't expect Wikipedia to consider such details).

I would guess situations like Gladio and Tension are not at all uncommon, mostly on a smaller scale but also larger, kind of like how we just learned that little thing about how the NSA was conducting incredibly illegal and invasive spying on every American and plenty of non-Americans, all based on some ruling out of a secret court. So yeah, they happen, and they happen all over. They are also generally much simpler and more direct than the Internet detectives who ignore big chunks of logic and evidence like to suggest when selling their tinfoil hats (other than the NSA one, still think it's amazing that anyone even refers to the constitution after that, or that it didn't bring about huge revolution)

Perhaps they do move a hell of a lot slower...when they are part of the drill!

Ah...the tin-foil hat reference. I see this is pointless.

Keep on sucking that blue pill.

Perhaps they do move a hell of a lot slower...when they are part of the drill!

Ah...the tin-foil hat reference. I see this is pointless.

Keep on sucking that blue pill.

Sure. Keep on assuming that every shadow is a monster that you can't do anything about, I guess.

Operation Gladio refers to stay behind armies placed in several European countries after World War II...specifically Italy. The intention was to prevent the spread of communism and Russian influence. There is evidence, including testimony that indicates these armies were responsible for terrorists acts.

Sure. Keep on assuming that every shadow is a monster that you can't do anything about, I guess.

Once again, I'm not talking about every shadow...but you keep beating that horse.

And who said nothing can be done? Perhaps the first step in doing something is waking up ignorant people like you who dismiss anyone who believes something shady is going on and resort to derogatory terms such as tin-foil hats and Internet detectives.

Once again, I'm not talking about every shadow...but you keep beating that horse.

And who said nothing can be done? Perhaps the first step in doing something is waking up ignorant people like you who dismiss anyone who believes something shady is going on and resort to derogatory terms such as tin-foil hats and Internet detectives.

Except I allowed for the many cases that the theories were reasonable or evidence-based. I guess we disagree on how much evidence or reasonableness something needs to have to be considered, but I see the stuff you post and don't see a material difference between that and the people who think PP sell baby parts and all Muslims are terrorists, except they have chosen baseless causes that are hateful against innocent parties and yours are generally against less than innocent rich jerks. They are still hateful though because they require a huge leap of faith beyond available evidence or a logical basis that is ground in normal human behaviours.

Again - those things do happen! There are a lot of rich jerks who no longer (or never did) have a sense of normal human behaviours and would gladly blow up a Palestinian hospital if it meant they could sell more small arms to the Palestinians and warplanes to the Israelis. Those things happen! But to see them more than they are is just as harmful as not seeing them at all.

On the topic of conspiracies, a question for everyone:

In a country where something like 15 people control as much money as 150 million people (and maybe more importantly, millions are at starvation level)...why has the revolution not happened yet? The obvious answer is "just wait" but I want to know why it has gotten this far. Throughout history, there has been a huge public uprising against the elite when income disparities were at a fraction of what they are now. I'm not suggesting 50 million people start storming mansions and murdering, I'm just a little surprised that we aren't there yet (or seemingly even close).

A few theories:

- there are poor people now, but in general it isn't quite to the degree it was in the past, with ghettos of people eating crusts of bread just to live, so what is "poor" may not be desperation level

- military technology - sure rich people had guns and poor didn't, but a million unarmed people could still overwhelm an army with guns. Now a government military could set up some turrets and remote bombs and blow up a thousand people without breaking a sweat.

- confusion of elites - if you are a revolutionary, do you attack the government or the rich? Dale and I will agree that there isn't much difference, but there is still 'some' and maybe more than in the past

- accessibility of wealth - I can't just storm a castle and steal your gold if it is all held in 22 holding companies across 38 banks in 14 countries. Now, I can storm your private island and dare you to send a military force after me, so maybe that goes both ways

Mostly, in a day when technology allows millions of people to easily connect across cities or countries, you'd think that that some Anonymous-type organization could organize a few million people to unstoppably take over an area through sheer force and confiscate/divide anything they wanted.

simple answer... life is good for the majority of people? It's easy to read the news and work yourself into a frenzy about the sad state of the world, but for the vast majority, life is pretty good. Certainly better than a large portion of the world.

• Like 1

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting a few rich people are behind everything. I have no idea who's ultimately behind everything, but when you investigate such things as Operation Gladio, Operation Northwoods and 9/11 you can see who and what is being used to achieve the ultimate goal.

Seriously, look up Operation Northwoods and ask yourself if the motives sound familiar. Then ask yourself who gained and who lost because of 9/11.

JFK wouldn't authorize Operation Northwoods. The military didn't like that much at all.

simple answer... life is good for the majority of people? It's easy to read the news and work yourself into a frenzy about the sad state of the world, but for the vast majority, life is pretty good. Certainly better than a large portion of the world.

I agree. There are so many pleasurable distractions these days for the majority of people. And dwelling on the atrocities in this world is not healthy for ones state of mind. It's easier and safer to limit your involvement to a "so sad" or "god bless" and then move onto the next distraction.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting a few rich people are behind everything. I have no idea who's ultimately behind everything, but when you investigate such things as Operation Gladio, Operation Northwoods and 9/11 you can see who and what is being used to achieve the ultimate goal.

Seriously, look up Operation Northwoods and ask yourself if the motives sound familiar. Then ask yourself who gained and who lost because of 9/11.

JFK wouldn't authorize Operation Northwoods. The military didn't like that much at all.

Because of checking on Operation Northwoods I donated $5 to Wikipedia. Thanks Dale.

• Like 1

This is a better version:

Dear Kobe Bryant,

I hate you.

Can you blame me? As a Celtics fan, I rooted against you for two decades. I rejoiced in your agony when my Celtics beat you in the 2008 Finals. Paul Pierce deserved it way more than you did. You already had three rings at the time.

But three just wasn’t enough for you. You got your revenge and ultimately your fifth ring in 2010 while ripping my heart out in the process. I hope you still know how lucky you are that Kendrick Perkins was out for Game 7.

I read your letter in the Players' Tribune today and was shocked. Not because you announced your retirement – we all already knew that. I was shocked because of the way your letter made me feel.

In my mind, I have always grouped you and Derek Jeter together. You are the players that we as Boston fans bitterly hate, but cannot help but respect. You played the game the right way – with passion, pride, and professionalism.

You were true students of the game who pursued greatness by working harder than anybody. You became generational icons of your respective sports. You embraced every challenge. You gave it your all. You put your bodies on the line. You knew how to win. You respected your sport, your craft, and your rivalry with Boston.

December 30 marks the last time that you will play in Boston. This is also the last opportunity for us Celtics fans to cheer our team to victory against arguably the most dominant player in the storied history of the Celtics and Lakers.

As you go, so goes what is left of the rivalry that once dominated the NBA. Perhaps someday it will be rekindled by new faces. Perhaps not.

So when you come to the Garden next month, I hope the crowd puts you through hell. I hope we heckle you and boo you more emphatically than we did in the championship bouts. I hope you miss every single free throw. I hope you never forget what it’s like to be surrounded by 17,000 screaming fans who bleed green and would give anything to watch you fail one last time.

I hope we beat LA once again. And when you get pulled from the lineup halfway through the fourth quarter when my Celtics are up by 20 points, I think something beautiful will happen.

Every single person in the Garden will stop booing. We will rise to our feet and show respect in the form of the loudest, most passionate standing ovation you have ever witnessed. We will chant your name. We will wipe our eyes. We will say our bittersweet farewells.

They say you never truly know what you got 'til it’s gone. So before you go, I just want to say thank you for being far more than just a great basketball player. To an entire generation of NBA fans, you are basketball.

I can’t believe I’m saying this… but I’m really going to miss you.

Love (and hate) you always,

A Celtics fan who didn’t appreciate you enough

• Like 1

Kobe is an ******* and one of the most selfish worst teammates in the history of basketball.

His true colors are shining through this season as he is having the worst season by any player ever in the history of the NBA while continuing to just keep chucking it in the most selfish way possible.

Kobe was a total ******* to Jeremy Lin all last season probably because of his jealousy of Lin's overseas popularity.

http://www.travelerstoday.com/articles/16837/20141222/jeremy-lin-fed-up-with-kobe-bryant-lakers-selfish-ways.htm

Kobe is an ******* and one of the most selfish worst teammates in the history of basketball.

His true colors are shining through this season as he is having the worst season by any player ever in the history of the NBA while continuing to just keep chucking it in the most selfish way possible.

Kobe was a total ******* to Jeremy Lin all last season probably because of his jealousy of Lin's overseas popularity.

http://www.travelers...elfish-ways.htm

My memory of Kobe was about 6 years ago. Otto was 12 and we did our usually trip up to the airport to see if Otto can get some Laker autographs. I remember standing inside with my girls while Otto was running around. He was with Derek Fisher when I saw Kobe come out of the bus. There was approximately 7-8 other autograph hounds waiting for him. I thought he would not sign since I remember the Lakers lost to the Raptors (it was a Sunday night). Well Kobe was signing when he got off the bus. I scream out to Otto that Kobe was signing and Otto ripped his stuff away from Derek Fisher to run after Kobe, who was now walking into the airport. Otto got up to Kobe and accidentally bumped Kobe on the left elbow. Kobe stopped and said "hey back off". At that point security surrounded him and Kobe disappeared.

I remember this day like yesterday and we still laugh about it.

My memory of Kobe was about 6 years ago. Otto was 12 and we did our usually trip up to the airport to see if Otto can get some Laker autographs. I remember standing inside with my girls while Otto was running around. He was with Derek Fisher when I saw Kobe come out of the bus. There was approximately 7-8 other autograph hounds waiting for him. I thought he would not sign since I remember the Lakers lost to the Raptors (it was a Sunday night). Well Kobe was signing when he got off the bus. I scream out to Otto that Kobe was signing and Otto ripped his stuff away from Derek Fisher to run after Kobe, who was now walking into the airport. Otto got up to Kobe and accidentally bumped Kobe on the left elbow. Kobe stopped and said "hey back off". At that point security surrounded him and Kobe disappeared.

I remember this day like yesterday and we still laugh about it.

Lakers are in town on Monday. You guys going to try to get any autographs this time ?

Lakers are in town on Monday. You guys going to try to get any autographs this time ?

I don't know. The cousins from dc were bugging him to go since it will be the last time he could get Kobe. As of right now I don't think so. He is going to try and get Curry on Saturday

Bob, have you read Nate Silvers The Signal and the Noise?

I recall you being a fan of Silver's but not sure you would have gone so far as to buy his book.

Anyone know it, opinions?

Bob, have you read Nate Silvers The Signal and the Noise?

I recall you being a fan of Silver's but not sure you would have gone so far as to buy his book.

Anyone know it, opinions?

I haven't read it but I'm sure from everything that I've seen about it that I would find it interesting

http://www.travelers...elfish-ways.htm

While I appreciate your passion on your hatred for Kobe Bryant, you are doing him an injustice...I know the sentiments are there..There are a lot of great players in history of sports that arent very nice people...And yes maybe he is very selfish..Regardless in how you cut it, its hard not to say that he is one of the best basketball players of the post Jordan era.

He is one of those guys that is bigger than basketball where non basketball fans are brought to the sport by him and his personality...Lebron James being another.

Curry, Harden and guys are great ball players..But not in the same league that transcends the game.

But I do respect your views on the matter.

An analogy might be Tiger Woods..Its a different sport and its not a team game, but a lot of people think he is an ******* among his peers..We also know he isnt a very good husband and a great human being..But no doubt he is the best golfer of all time.

Curry is the greatest shooter in the history of basketball and so far is having the best season of any player ever. He might be the most fun player to watch on the most fun team to watch ever. I'm so happy that team is the current face of the league.

Harden is a bit of a joke since his defense is about as bad as anybody can play at times.

Kobe's selfishness directly effected how good a basketball player he was. He was a superstar personality but is not an all time great player. Probably one of the top 20 of all time but no way in the top 10. Lebron has been head and shoulders better than Kobe on the court.