Off Topic, Kinda.....

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

This is story is growing as it should..The man is obviously a racist and a bigot..If he is a player or a coach , GM, easy to get rid of him...The man owns a basketball team..Can you kick him out of the NBA? He is making racist comments, is it a criminal offence? I guess you can fine him, but that doesnt do anything..

Talk of the Clippers players boycotting? Thats ridicolous as the fans didnt do anything wrong, your sponsors and all the people that depend on them for a living..

Its sad that in this day and age, we still have to deal with this stupidity...

What I find troubling about this is

1. This isn't really new. The only thing new about Sterling being a racist and all out idiot is that now he's gone viral.

2. I would eat my shoe if someone could prove to me this is the only racist owner in the NBA. Same goes for NHL, and esp NFL.

3. I would call his girlfriend a racist as well, and obviously was setting him up to get a great payday for herself. Pretty sure she got it, and she is probably just loving how she is "trending".

2. I would eat my shoe if someone could prove to me this is the only racist owner in the NBA. Same goes for NHL, and esp NFL.

Considering how many of the owners in the NBA/NFL/NHL are "old" money I would assume that. And there's an undercurrent of racism that's pretty evident when you are in the States.

3. I would call his girlfriend a racist as well, and obviously was setting him up to get a great payday for herself. Pretty sure she got it, and she is probably just loving how she is "trending".

Ex-girlfriend who happens to be currently sued by Sterling's ex?-wife. So ya, I guess she pushed the nuclear option in retaliation

Will be interesting to see what the NBA does today on the Sterling issue..

Its a tough thing, on one hand the man is a racist , bigot and a jackass...Thats a given..But its not really a criminal offence what he said, he is also being sort of trapped by a gold digging piece of trash...

But its unacceptable for a league that is predominantly black, to have an owner say the things that has been said without repercussions...There was a sort of a precedence with Marge Schott owner of the Cincinnati Reds...She was suspended for a year and fined $25000...No amount of fine will hurt this guy, so who cares..Unless its like $50 million , which obviously they cant...

I have no idea what the Owner agreements are like, but he is essentially a franchise owner, and I suspect the NBA has a great deal of power over him. They should exercise whatever power they have over him, whether that be long term suspension, or forcing him to sell, or huge fines, or whatever. He is tarnishing the reputation of the league, and it is in the league's interests to act strongly and swiftly on this issue.

I have no idea what the Owner agreements are like, but he is essentially a franchise owner, and I suspect the NBA has a great deal of power over him. They should exercise whatever power they have over him, whether that be long term suspension, or forcing him to sell, or huge fines, or whatever. He is tarnishing the reputation of the league, and it is in the league's interests to act strongly and swiftly on this issue.

I totally agree...But they have to be very careful, and follow legal process...You cant just throw a guy out and cost him millions because of an alleged tape..I believe their lawyers have done their due dilligence and have authenticated the tape/tapes though..

As long as they can prove it is him, I suspect the owner agreements that the owners sign give the NBA a lot of leeway to carry out whatever sort of punishment they decide.

Lots of interesting reading on the subject. Deadspin chronicled Sterling's history: http://deadspin.com/your-complete-quotable-guide-to-decades-of-donald-sterl-1568047212

But there was an article a day or two ago that detailed the NBA turning a blind eye to racist corporate sponsors and owners going back a long long way, so not sure they're entirely on the high moral ground here either...

They played a clip on the radio yesterday, its one thing to be a racist and use racist terms..But this guy has the mentality of a slave owner..He said something like i am feeding them, giving them houses, making them rich

I think this is 100 times worse than using a racial slur as a one off, where we have seen few times on the ice or field...This sort of mentality is what holds us back as a society..

Oh I have no doubt that nothing would be done about this if it wasn't blown up and national news. It's not exactly new information that Sterling is a piece of shit. The good news for the NBA is that there is such an outpouring of hatred for Sterling now, that as long as they have solid Legal standing, which I'm sure they will, they have free reign to do pretty much whatever they want to get Sterling out of the league. Including removing him as owner and selling the team on his behalf.

Love it, love it, love it. My biggest pet peeve about society today in one paragraph.

"So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear onCelebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars."

The under story in all this is that an 80 year old man has a 31 year old girlfriend..Million can buy you love(or just sex)

:)

The under story in all this is that an 80 year old man has a 31 year old girlfriend..Million can buy you love(or just sex)

:)

If its sex, I'm gonna assume $500 can buy you that. lol

(I heard from a friend)

TMZ reporting ahead of the decision that the NBA has decided suspend Sterlind indefinetely and a $ 5 million fine..

Thats huge and I bet there will be some legal issues here...

Marge Schott had a $25000 fine..

One reporter at the press conference asked the obvious question: this isn't new behaviour for Sterling, why now? They dodged that one. But it's going to be interesting moving forward...

One reporter at the press conference asked the obvious question: this isn't new behaviour for Sterling, why now? They dodged that one. But it's going to be interesting moving forward...

exactly...If it wasnt for TMZ and Deadspin NBA wouldnt do anything....They knew of his previous actions..

Am I the only one thinking this isnt the end of this, and we will see major lawsuits? Sure the man is a bigot, racist ..No doubting it..But it was a private conversation recorded obviously for the purpose of exposing him...He has to have some legal basis for defence?