• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HOW TO WIN THE LOTTERY   Dedicated to Marchant (CobaltBlue) and Gary (GWCGWC)   The first step is to understand that "random" is just a word. No series of numbers is beyond a some sort of predict

This game is called "Diamonds" and I'm dedicating it to MinhLyFan.   I will explain the game as though it were being played HU.   Players post BB and SB. Each player is dealt 3 cards. The player

Trading currencies, huh? How's that working out for you? Know much about bitcoins?   For what it's worth:   MinhLyFan Last Active Aug 08 2009 08:45 PM

If I was going to try to assign a numerical value to hand strengths, I would do a few things differently. First, I would make my 1's garbage with only one reasonable action assigned to it, fold. And my 10's I would do the same, but the inverse. Everything else in between is all subjective in that sometimes hands in your 6 range will play like 10's because your opponents cards indicate it is. But that gets really complicated, and i think you are talking in generalities and averages. So, my thinking in those terms are in line with yours. Also, each number 5 and below has a counter part. For instance, I would probably play my 3's like 10's, my 5's like 6's etc. In any case, I can't think of anything good to solve the problem that hand strengths involve the strength of your opponent's hand.

And I have been playing punto/blanco for two years, I just didn't know it's name. :) Playing it properly will make you the luckiest cardplayer to enter any room

If you ever want to know the algebraic representation of a circle to be used in a proof i think it's:

x1 = r

y1 = y1

x2 = -r

y2 = y2

x1 - x2 = y1 - y2

x1 - y2 = x2 - y2 = y2 - x1 = y1 - x2

I proposed of Ronald Graham that a diverging line be used to prove the Erdos Conjecture on Arithmetic Progressions. He was of different opinion than I. In case you are curious i think the algebraic representation of a diverging line is:

x1y1 - x2y2 = Y

The distance in points is equal in distance from previous point as origin line and the distance relationship remaining equal.

"Game Difficulty" - As the number of game states grows the edge one may have on an opponent grows exponentially. This may be seen as a diverging line.

This must be distinguished as it is different from game solvability.

If you absolutely have to give a name to the worlds largest usable number formally it is the Game Difficulty of Diamonds, informally, I like "Phillip's Number"

And the world's second largest number? "Phillip's Overture" With an exponentially easier game solvability and second largest game difficulty. It's Ladz.

Let me know when you're ready buddy.

"Jimbone" - It resembles a bone and is made of oscillations. In the center is a point of optimization.

"The most efficient way to build a pot" - bet.

"Check-Raise" - Two separate actions.

"Optimal Pot to Stack Ratio" - I guess that on a single street game pot limit game given the same hands the player out of position 1 wants exactly pot sized bet. The player in position generally wants as big a stack:pot as possible.

I guess that in a pot-sized betting poker game there is a Jimbone from pot sized bet and the oscillations being ideal pot-stack ratio given actions. We'll get there.

To know why hot water can freeze faster than cold water consider this model: Bumper molecules of water are driving around a circle track. 32 degrees will be a wall that comes up in the middle of the track. If the molecules are driving slow enough they don't crash and they can slow to a stop. Ice. If teh molecules are driving too fast they all crash to a stop. Ice.

I guess that if one were inclined they could balance each liquid molecule and determine each molecule's algorithm between how it's boiling point measures against temperatures past freezing.

"Creativity" - Looks like taking that which is known and making it unknown.

You're the best poker player in the world but I'm willing to get sub-atomic. I'm waiting for you to say you're willing to too.

If all checks are for balance, how can the most profitable exploit be a check?

Checks are interesting.

I think that thinking about why checks and check raises are so popular is interesting.

I wonder what poker looked like before hold'em

I wonder what poker is going to look like after diamonds

Let's figure out how checks can be exploitive.

Let's say we wanted to solve HU 3 card Lads (both players dealt pat 2 down 1 up), should we solve it in terms of actual hands or should we solve it in terms of numbers (ie something like all hands are 1-10)?

I am not sure about this. I have been thinking about it, though. All I can come up with is that when learning a new language, it was always made explicitly clear that you should not be translating the languages in your head, you should just hear it and respond or "know it". I feel by learning it in numbers we might cause our brains to be translating hands in our heads. But then again, they are two different things.

There is no one in the world I enjoy being wrong to more.

You're right, if we're solving the game, using a simple number system is a disaster. But then again, so is using the cards themselves.

I propose a third language that looks like ( w, x, y, z ) where:

w = hand rank

x = hand shape

y = color

z = blockage

I'll show some two card poker hands for examples. AKs might look like ( 8 , 9, 10, 10 ). J2o might look like ( 7 , 2 , 3 , 3 ). 46s might look like ( 3, 5, 6 , 2 ).

Sexy and elegant, I call the language "Chanel."

Thoughts?

x = shape = things like the hand's ability to make straights, or what the strength of pairs, 2 pairs, trips, and full houses might be. in hold me the bottom end of a straight draw would have a lower score than the higher end, and an OESD has a higher score than a gutter.

y = color = hands ability to make flushes. a made nut flush is as high as it gets. a hand with zero chance to make a flush is as low as it gets.

z = blockage = how hand blocks opponent's hand. in PLO having the nut flush blocker has a high score. Having opponent's outs would also rank high.

Please please ask if you have questions.

Also, using a base 1-10 numbering system feels like dropping a 4 cyl. into a ferrari. We could add decimals but this is like forced induction and I don't know any lady who wears Chanel who wants to be in a burner. let's do it 1-100 and we slap turbos on the V12 if we need to.

With me?

Alright, NL 3 card Ladz (2 down, 1 up), 3 of a kind beats straight flushes.

100bet effective stacks. ante is 1 bet each and bring in is min 1 bet. What are your thoughts on the next step to solving it? (opening up MoP is not an option)

Antes, bring in, and then NL stud. Only third street has an up card. All other streets are down.

So HU 5 card Ladz would look like ante, ante, deal 2 down and 1 up. Low card has the bring in and can bet up to all their chips if they want. After the bring in the high card can bet up to all their chips if low card hasn't and if they want.

On later streets each player is dealt a down card and the high can bet up to all his or her chips and so on.

Right now we're working on 3 card Ladz which is a single street game of 2 down, 1 up, and NL betting structure.

Okay, using Chanel in 3 card Ladz isn't as imperative as it will be in other games. But it's still useful.

let x be unnecessary variables. So a hand might look like ( 8, x, x, 7 ). 8 referring to the absolute hand strength and 7 referring to the blockage. Blockage will refer to advantages both ways. So having a hand that's less transparent will have a higher blockage and so too will having cards that block our opponent's likelyhood of having a dominant hand.

Single street. 0 bets in the pot. 1 bet units. The player OOP can only check, bet, or call if his opponent bets. The player in position can only check, bet if checked to, or call if bet into.

Show me what the Chanel looks like.

Some men swing the sticks, and some men carry the bag. This is a tough gimme. May I hand you the putter?