Ive recently stepped up to playing in some of the 30-40 NL tourneys on UB. I would expect the competition to be a little stronger than in the 5-10 tourneys. This just happened and I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on this beat. First position after the BB raises and doubles the blind. I have A10 in late position and decide to call as the raise weak. (I dont like overplaying hands like A10). Flop hits A44 and the BB checks as well as original raiser. I bet the pot and the raiser calls while BB folds. Th eturn brings another 4, so now i have 4's over A's. I dont put him on AA and im no longer worried about my kicker. He checks again and i bet the pot again and he immediately goes all in. I figure its a chop but he turns over 48!!! I couldnt ***** believe he had quad 4's. He came in raising out of position with 48. Im not sure if I made the bad play or he did but would appreciate any insightful thought into this.

It was likely a bluff that he was called on and happened to hit a miracle flop. However, competition is bad everywhere - so his reasoning may have been "It was sooted!" Don't worry too much about it. If those beats bother you a ton - go play cash games. You need a lot more luck to win a tournament than a cash game (at which you'll rely primarily on skill).

You were way behind when all the money went in, so it's not exactly a bad beat. He had one of a few hands that could beat you. And what is the deal with ALL the damned Machiavelli references for forum handles, all of a sudden??Ice

Thank you. I couldnt possibly put him on 4s in this situation. Ive suffered a lot of beats in tourneys and im cool with that because Hey, Thats Poker. I would chalk this up to more of bad play on my part i guess, or his? Ive had cowboys and flop K66 and lost when the SB went all in w/A10 and runner runner 6 come out. Thats gotta be my worst beat ever. By the way, Ive had this nickname since 96'

Even though you said that you don't like overplaying your hands, it seems as though a first position raise would either have a10 dominated or in a coin flip situation. In the long run, you think calling there is +EV?Because it's not.

Changing the subject slightly, nothing's better than a bluff gone bad gone good, in my opinion. Late, in a big tournament for a WSOP spot, I raised it up with J9 off from the button, just content to steal the blinds. The BB bumped it up the minimum. Every chip was important, but I figured I had to call the minimum raise at that point and the flop came J99. Of course, I fast-played it as I almost always do and he got all of his chips in with his AJ.In any case, to the OP: In your situation, I just don't second guess myself. Otherwise, you spend a lot of time feeling bad. Same thing happened to me with pocket nines once when I decided to call a raise from UTG. Flop came 8-5-4. He bet on the flop (which I called) and then checked the turn, where I put all my chips in. He apologized and turned over 8-4. I felt like an idiot afterwards for a few days and played like crap in a turbo later (where playing like crap is rewarded).Peace,Jay