• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hell no, where would I get a giant hornet from plus I'm not nuts.

It's just the entire concept of 'flat screen TV' as being relevant to anything anymore.   People still say "flat screen TV" with implied context as though this were 2001 and they cost $5K.

I don't think acceptance of equality has anything to do with it. Rome had no such illusions, they believed in the superiority of races and even in the superiority of family blood lines. Rome was force

Not sure I believe this

China has emerged as the most financially secure country in an index jointly launched by PICC Property and Casualty Co Ltd, the largest non-life insurance company in the Chinese mainland, and Genworth Financial Inc, a Fortune 500 insurance holding company.

The report surveyed 13,000 households in 14 European countries, and five Latin American countries and China. China scored 78 out of 100, the highest score of any country and the highest since the index was launched in 2007.

Only 3 percent of Chinese households are financially vulnerable, whereas the same figure for Germany is 22 percent and 26 percent for France, according to the report.

3% are financially vulnerable?

In what sense?

Bob, do you think this must be a cherry picked section of society Seems to me that having $200 a month pay for factory workers places them in more financial insecurity than the average frenchman who can't be fired by law.

And two stories down is this story.

Most first-tier cities in China are barely suitable for living due to their poor ecological environment, despite rapid economic development and preferential regulations for investment, said a newly released report by a top Chinese think tank on Sunday.

First-tier cities, including Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, failed to make the list of habitable cities even though they are in the top 10 in terms of commercial advantages, unification of city and countryside, and culture development, according to a report on China's urban competitiveness from the National Academy of Economic Strategy under the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

Only two first-tier cities, Hong Kong and Macao, are among the country's most livable cities, said the report.

Not sure I believe this

In what sense?

Bob, do you think this must be a cherry picked section of society Seems to me that having $200 a month pay for factory workers places them in more financial insecurity than the average frenchman who can't be fired by law.

That survey is pretty bad. Also China Daily is the official English language paper of the Chinese government so anything on there will be biased to show things in a favorable light.

That being said the average Chinese person even one who has a modest income has a high savings rate. Since there isn't a social safety net and pensions if you don't save for your retirement you are in a lot of trouble.

Pollution in China is massive and it isn't just pollution but you can't trust the food safety.

Here's the latest food scandal, cadmium in rice.

Hunan Rice Sales Plunge as China Probes Cadmium Contamination

Bob, could you and your wife look at this and tell me what you think of it's value to learn Mandarin?

My wife is in China for a few weeks visiting her parents so I can't get her opinion but it seems pretty good after a quick look.

It's the ole catch 22 of Communist Environmentalism. China is trying to gain power independence by converting to solar, wind and hydroelectric energy, all clean energy. But, inorder to use these technology on a massive level that they'll need, they need massive amounts of rare earth metals, so they have massive open pit mining operations without environmental controls, that are poisoning the earth. Shit is going to get real in china ( and russia too) in the next 100 years.

Not sure I believe this

In what sense?

76% said they had as much in savings as they receive in monthly salary (net of debt). How many people in other countries can say that? Low debt might not mean you're living in paradise, it just means your situation won't likely deteriorate significantly.

76% said they had as much in savings as they receive in monthly salary (net of debt). How many people in other countries can say that? Low debt might not mean you're living in paradise, it just means your situation won't likely deteriorate significantly.

Average factory worker makes $200 a month, would you like to reconsider your point?

Average factory worker makes $200 a month, would you like to reconsider your point?

That's irrelevant to the point, so no, I won't.

It's just a study done, where the results make it obvious that the study was poorly constructed and provides no information. So they could either change their study or pretend it means something. They took the easier option.

• 3 weeks later...

ian bremmer ‏@ianbremmer 1h

Poverty Rate in China

1980 - 84%

2013 - 10%

I think a comparison in wat constitutes poverty in china vis a vis the US or even canada is wats needed here. In the US if your cable only gets 1 premium channel, and your cell phone is limited to a thousand monthly minutes, you are in poverty.