Ok guys and gals I seem to have run into a wall this last month. I have been doing well playing live for the last 6 months untill this month. I cant seem to get with it. Seems like I am folding when I should call and calling when I should fold. Im not sure what has happend but I just feel off. Any advice to get my head back on straight here. I mostly play 1/3 and 2/5 no limit. HELP!!!!!

And if you have a good memory of the specifics of some hands feel free to post them along with your in-game thoughts. Or at your next session mark down some tough spots; be sure to know positions, stack sizes, the action, bet amounts and the board cards, including suits. Then we can likely give some ideas as well.

• 1 month later...

Very true that 1 month live is too small timeframe to panic ... but where do you play and are you (and more importantly others at the table) a regular in the game? Your game might be getting predictable and folks are making small tweaks to throw you off center. When are you folding ... Flop, Turn or River? A couple of hand examples woudl be nice to see, yes.

Also, CardPlayer.com had a nice little Top Five NL Rules to go by ... They are nice guidelines, but I don't totally agree with applying them 100% of the time and I have somewhat modified them for my own taste.

1) Don't limp and limit raise calling ... play tight and make players flat call your bets, not the other way around

2) Don't pay-off over-bets on any street ... calling 'go away' bets will cost you in the long run.

3) Raise from late position and keep barreling Flop and Turn, if not River as well

4) Value bet your hands, don't over-bet ... no trapping or pricing people out of their draws, let the math win out over the long haul.

5) Play the players as much as you play your cards.

I add a 6th rule ... Play the same whether up or down for a session. Don't change your bet size just because you have a big stack in front of you or if you want to 'catch up'.

Another way to look at yourself is to see if you have widened your range of holdings as of late ... easy to do (without noticing) when you are having some winning sessions. This will put you in the same spots you were winning previously with weaker holdings and perhaps tilt the scale the other way. We dont want to tell you too much but ... good luck going forward!!

When I feel "off" I take an intentional break. Personally I take an extra day off, read some old poker notes/strategy. Do some stuff that's not poker related. Then when I return to poker I make sure to spend a bit of time focusing on my plan for play for the night, borderline poker meditation to get my head in poker mode.

If I feel I'm running bad over an extended period I will make the following adjustments as I continue to play.

Tighten up my starting range.

Increase my preflop raises slightly.

Focus on watching others who are playing well.

• 4 months later...

variance imo. either that or you're a donk that was on a six month heater.

On a more helpful note, in my opinion one of the hardest parts of poker is to keep making the smart plays instead of playing junk.because you would have won with it last time. Hope that saves you some money.

I am a live player as well. When I have a losing month I go back to the ABC's of poker.

1) Play less hands. You can make a game of this by trying to guess other players hands while you are folding.

2) If you are going to play a hand preflop be the 1st raiser. Limit calling others raises.

3) Target losing players. When a player is losing and swearing, complaining (we calling it getting stuck) they will often call over sized bets. Example if you hit 2 pair on flop and the tilt player bets into you on a 2 flush board. Go ahead and go all in. I use this all the time and they will usually call with 2 top pair, flush draw or even middle pair!

4) Stay mentally positive (I know easier said then done. I find that working out, swimming running etc releases the tension of my losses and makes me feel like I am starting fresh on my next poker session.

5) If you are playing against the same people change the way you play and always vary your play. One way I do this in a home game I play in is after my preflop raise is called. I determine my flop bet before it comes out. My choices are 50%, 75%, 100% or 125% of flop. One time I bet 125% into a A K 7 rainbow board. Luckily i hit a set of 7's, my opponent reraised me with KQ because they thought I was just trying to buy the pot.

Sometimes I just open jam with aces preflop too; no one expects it. Like to stay one step ahead of my opponents. One time a guy called with AK because he thought I had AQ and didn't wanna play post flop.

Plus who wants to play aces postflop, they never win lol

Lol I've never just UTG jammed with aces. Don't see that working into a $7 pot lol.

Lol I've never just UTG jammed with aces. Don't see that working into a $7 pot lol.

Ya but that's seven dollars that we win. Plus we fold out that suited connector crap that can flop flush and straight draws or those small pocket pairs that flop trips alot.

Ya but that's seven dollars that we win. Plus we fold out that suited connector crap that can flop flush and straight draws or those small pocket pairs that flop trips alot.

double post.

I try to minimize losses, not wins.