Surviving The Zombie Apocalypse (And Other Disasters)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never knew you were black!

I'd say just buy more ammo so you can shoot people who invested in gold coins

I also don't see the point of this whole doomsday prepping thing that people are doing. However, I won't judge anyone for preparing for something that is unlikely to happen. Just like I hope nobody

Going back to an earlier lesson, I've been surfing the web for pdfs. Here's a list of some that I'm looking at downloading to add to the folder. What drew me in here was there are some topics covered that are easy to overlook when planning long term.

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/12.10/downloads.html

Also, regarding filter. I like the Katadyn, and they have a solid rep, but I'm considering a filter system that would work not only on biological contaminents but chemical as well. Anybody got an recos?

• 2 months later...

Went a little overboard on my xmas vegas trip so I haven't been doing much the last couple of months. Basically just keeping an eye on canned food to go on sale or buying an extra propane tank, just simple stuff that costs 5-20 bucks a week but carries a good impact for prepping. I figure I have ~1 month food without doing any rationing or anything but there are a couple gaps to fill in like some additional canned proteins etc. Well, got some of my tax return and the company is giving me a nice little bonus for last year so I did some shopping. here's what i've ordered/received

Now that I feel I've got a good start on my 30 day bug in prep I decided it's time to start putting together materials for my bug out.

41mAmFo-Y1L.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

31bK827sXHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've already received this, me likey.

317LQGpP4nL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

water preserver to go with water storage below.

this is more for bug in supplies

http://www.myfoodsto...-water-box.html

61JE%2BbQgWuL.jpg

https://www.amazon.c...f=gno_yam_yrdrs

418q7JUIv2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Can't recall if I mentioned it, but I hooked up a L.E.O. connection that can still get good ammo for 50% off in bulk so will be putting in an order for 5.56mm around late spring/early summer. Planning on putting in a fairly good sized order for other materials around that time too. Now that I've got my bag on the way I can start filling it with things like the katadyn etc.

Oh one other really cool thing happened this week. Back in the 80s my dad bought an honest to god samurai sword that was made in 1505. Well, he used his tax return to buy a new one that he felt more comfortable actually using so he gave me the old one. Michonne my ass.

001_zps8405cc4a.jpg

002_zpsb78bae99.jpg

Wait, what is your dad using a samurai sword for?

he used to study kendo years ago and he wants to brush up on it and get some of the bamboo mats they role up and cut through etc

Hank, I have that exact pocket sharpener...also an Amazon purchase. Been quietly adding to my food stores for no good reason other than to have food in the house. Badly want to be purchasing more ammo in a few specific calibers but it's awfully sparse out there. You know it's bad when the big stores like Gander Mountain can't even keep .22LR on the shelves.

You should really look into Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) blades, I have a few that I got through AG Russell and I've been completely happy with everything thusfar. A bit on the expensive side but superior quality.

I recently purchased a Leatherman. Babysteps, hank. Babysteps

goin all les stroud on us? gonna get a mouth harp and call it good?

no insult intended my friend. les stroud (aka survivorman) is the tits. give him a quality multitool and a harmonica and he can last a week in the woods.

• Like 1

got my ka bar and love it.

the water storage things showed up too, not thrilled. the only way to fill them is to hold open the spot and pour in that way, so basically putting 5 gallons of water through a slit that is appox. 1/4" x 1/8" which...takes some time. But I've got 3 filled and with the preserver (a few drops of bleach basically) it's good for around 5 years. I'll fill the other 2 this week some time. Between those and the bottled water I've got a months worth. Next purchase will probably be a katadyn.

oh, saw some shit on sale at the hardware store the other so I picked up a few items like chemical light sticks, twine, and some other odds and ends.

actually kinda rethinking the katadyn as next purchase. i need to get my reference manual going, maybe next purchase will be lamination machine.

do you have water barrels? Water barrels see like an easy and sustainable water source.

no. space is a concern living in an apartment. the bag in box things I linked on the previous page are about 10x10x15 so they are easy to stuff into underused closet space etc.

no. space is a concern living in an apartment. the bag in box things I linked on the previous page are about 10x10x15 so they are easy to stuff into underused closet space etc.

For your situation, 28 Days Later recommends getting christmas lights for your balcony to attract real humans after the outbreak and full body armour to safely exit your room by pushing the zombies down the stairs. Get on that.

For your situation, 28 Days Later recommends getting christmas lights for your balcony to attract real humans after the outbreak and full body armour to safely exit your room by pushing the zombies down the stairs. Get on that.

lol.

I'm on the ground floor so not going to be able to advertise too far. i do wish i had some shopping carts to build a barricade though.

just ordered these today. seemed like a really good deal and good cheap way for some long term food storage. gonna do a lot of rice and beans and some spices and such, salt, maybe flour, the basics. though with 60 bags I feel like I'll need to branch out even more than that. any ideas for stuff I can buy in the grocery store/sams club that could go in these bags and last forever? wonder if powdered pasta sauce mixes would work. do powdered pasta sauce mixes exist?

just ordered these today. seemed like a really good deal and good cheap way for some long term food storage. gonna do a lot of rice and beans and some spices and such, salt, maybe flour, the basics. though with 60 bags I feel like I'll need to branch out even more than that. any ideas for stuff I can buy in the grocery store/sams club that could go in these bags and last forever? wonder if powdered pasta sauce mixes would work. do powdered pasta sauce mixes exist?

They exist, but for some reason they have a shorter shelf life than the jarred sauce does.

I'm planning on mostly sticking to MRE's and #10 cans myself...I have no earthly idea how to cook from scratch so the middle of the zombie apocalypse probably wouldn't be the best time to learn. Still hovering right around 3 months worth of assorted food on hand, would like to extend that out to a year or so for no good reason other than doing it.

this might be of interest to you guys.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Canning-Freezing-Curing-Smoking/dp/1580174574/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3H7EARAL5R0R1&coliid=IOXGFKDYH6KNA

By the end of the year I'd like to have some canning supplies and have at least one session done.

hey hank, if you're looking to get a water filter, that emergency essentials site has the katadyn pocket filter on sale for 270. that seems to be the cheapest on the internet at this time. I'd buy one if I didn't just buy new jeans.

so far for my long term food stuff I've come up with this:

white rice

beans of all kinds

salt

sugar

oats

spices (need to see if sams has some bulk stuff for sale)

coffee

might see if there's powdered milk in the grocery store cause that would be a good option too. also thinking about dehydrated potatoes, but I'm not sure of their shelf life. I'd imagine if they have some that are just pure potatoes, i.e. no butter or other stuff that would spoil, they should be good too.

hey hank, if you're looking to get a water filter, that emergency essentials site has the katadyn pocket filter on sale for 270. that seems to be the cheapest on the internet at this time. I'd buy one if I didn't just buy new jeans.

so far for my long term food stuff I've come up with this:

white rice

beans of all kinds

salt

sugar

oats

spices (need to see if sams has some bulk stuff for sale)

coffee

might see if there's powdered milk in the grocery store cause that would be a good option too. also thinking about dehydrated potatoes, but I'm not sure of their shelf life. I'd imagine if they have some that are just pure potatoes, i.e. no butter or other stuff that would spoil, they should be good too.

here's an interesting site for some food stores. not entirely sold for guys like you and me though. I don't think #10 cans are the most effective for lone wolves, for families though would be suitable. One thing I saw on this site that did really interest me was anti oxygen packets, mylar bags, and a sealing machine so you can seal your own portions of freeze dried/dehydrated goods.

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21158_-1_N_image_0

thinking i'm going to go with the katadyn combi. just as good on bacteria but also effective on chemical pollutants. and amazon has them cheaper than LE.

Also, I've sold off the last of my experimental stock portfolio and now need to research buying silver/gold. I'm thinking I'll probably do 1 oz gold and pick up quite a few mercury dimes but not 100% sure yet might go with rounds. still much research to do.

oh, one other thing. dad is getting more and more concerned about the state of affairs and is looking to start doing some prepping too. We're going to have a talk this weekend and I'm going to see how far down the rabbit hole he wants to go with me. this is a bonus for me because he lives across a ravine from my place so if TSHTF we can pool our resources and it will be easier for us to build in some redundancies etc.

he was smart enough to see the housing bubble coming and moved all his assets from stocks to cash a few months before it happened. so his growing concern is a bit of a psychological boost to me that I may not be off the deep end, at least not totally anyway.

You guys are out of control!

Hank, you may want to let your pops in on the fact that you're not just prepping for yourself but also for him. It's not like youd freeze him out in a SHTF situation. He may as well know that so he can join you in weighting different scenarios to prep for.

You guys are out of control!

Hank, you may want to let your pops in on the fact that you're not just prepping for yourself but also for him. It's not like youd freeze him out in a SHTF situation. He may as well know that so he can join you in weighting different scenarios to prep for.

Oh yeah, that's already come up. He's basically expressed an interest in building up a cache of "barter goods" so I've given him some of the research I've come across. I'm also loaning him that 31 days book so he can read it, grasp the mindset and thinking process to make his decision how "hardcore" he wants to go. I've already explained to him that most scenarios would involve me relocating most of my stash to his place, at least initially, so we only have to worry about 1 base camp instead of 2 then we can evaluate the situation further to see if we need to relocate to another family member's house etc etc. Bad thing is their house is about 80 miles away and still in a fairly sizable town of about 20k.

I just want to feel him out as to his, for lack of a better term, commitment level because that is going to impact my future purchases and planning. If he's less committed than me, I'll just make suggestions for him to get some of the peripheral items like barter goods, some redundancies on tools, extra things found at the grocery store like paper goods or hygiene items, and some extra water and/or dried goods. Equally committed then I'm going to have him start with food and water prep at the #10 can and multi-pound dry good level which I'll kick in with him on since he's got much more storage area available (attached garage, spare bedroom etc). If he's more committed or whole hog, then I'm going to discuss the idea of him buying his retirement home (or maybe splitting a plot of land and maybe a cabin/camper) out a ways from the city and between us and the other family in our area as our bugout location.

Another bonus is a guy on my team at work is a bit of a prepper so we've had some good brainstorming talks, shared some research, and stuff like that. I'm not convinced I want to integrate a SHTF plan with him though as I don't think our personalities would be a good fit in a high stress environment.