Surviving The Zombie Apocalypse (And Other Disasters)

A whistle...........

Someone in a different corner of the internet told me preppers make huge assumptions in what events they choose to prep for. Tru'dat but you really never know when you're gonna need a whistle. I'm no expert or author on this stuff but one thing I'd recommend over learning how to cook with solar ovens in the gosh darned apocalypse(or 72 hr survival event) is learning how to whistle without the aid of some plastic doohickey.

I probably like this thread a wee bit too much.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never knew you were black!

I'd say just buy more ammo so you can shoot people who invested in gold coins

I also don't see the point of this whole doomsday prepping thing that people are doing. However, I won't judge anyone for preparing for something that is unlikely to happen. Just like I hope nobody

A whistle...........

Someone in a different corner of the internet told me preppers make huge assumptions in what events they choose to prep for. Tru'dat but you really never know when you're gonna need a whistle. I'm no expert or author on this stuff but one thing I'd recommend over learning how to cook with solar ovens in the gosh darned apocalypse(or 72 hr survival event) is learning how to whistle without the aid of some plastic doohickey.

But how are you going to notify people of the rape?

A whistle...........

you know, i think that was one of the reasons i stopped watching DDP. they just seemed to get so damn specific on what they were prepping for and dumping a lot of resources in to materials that were only good for that scenario often while sacrificing other materials that would be good across a broad spectrum of events. I think it's a good cautionary example and one I'm hoping not to emulate.

By all means, share whatever you've got. I've already tweaked some of my planning on what you've contributed already.

hey hank, that emergency essentials place is having a black friday sale (yay for yet another email account to send me spam!). might be a good time to try a few. I actually bought a few mountain house packs at rei when I was up there on friday. got some chili mac and a breakfast skillet thing. see if they're any good. of course I get all this food and I still just have two cases of regular ass bottled water sitting in the floor so I'd still be effed in the a if I wanted to eat it. need to go to sams club sometime soon and get a bunch of things of water (guessing that's the best place? I don't know) but I swear it seems like water is the hardest thing for me to buy. it's just sooooo boring I mean come on.

OH! might as well just post my shotgun searching in here: what do you guys think of this? I kinda want to make love to it.

putting this here where god intended

Starting watching Doomsday preppers tonight. Man, these people are ****ing nutso. How do so many crazy people have this much money?

The last one I watched was a welder who is prepping for a pole shift. Meaning the north and south poles switch places. After his whole insane bit and $300K spent to put a place in a mountain at almost 12,000 ft elevation, the people who research for the show basically say it's impossible for this to happen in this guys life time. He also put his place at the end of a road that is snowed in 8 months out of the year.

books or things on surviving in the woods? like being lost and such? I've got one that's really awesome that I need to dust off. can't remember the name. either way, probably wouldn't hurt to study a bit of both: modern survival and wilderness survival (and maybe your book gets into it).

Anyone whos ever visited a gun show probably has seen the survival/weapons/how to kill the neighbor and get away with it books. Most of them are from paladin press. Look see if they have a website or something. And things.

Many moons ago I was staggering around a show with a girlfriend. While she stood in line for a heartburnger and fries I moseyed over and sampled some of the material. When she returned I was fixated in a manual of how to dispose of a dead body. Unfortunately she didnt take the hint. Still married to the bitch

Anyhoo.... they do offer some pretty good stuff....or did back then anyway. I still have a few including the disposal system at my fingertips

putting this here where god intended

Yeah, I like the short Mossbergs. Great home D guns.

Also, your post that beans quoted reminded of another book that is highly touted for wilderness survival: the SAS survival guide.

I had forgotten about paladin press, I thought they folded after a protracted legal battle when a dude on trial for murder was found to have ordered their hitman's guide publication (obviously his reading comprehension was poor or the book sucked). but nope! they're still there and I noticed they had 31 days to survival on there for nearly double what I paid on amazon, so um, caveat emptor pal.

as I'm surfing prepper sites there is one thing that is annoying to me. when prepper sites get overly devoted to political/religious posts. especially since most of the political idealogy seems to be just to the right attila the hun. ah well, not much i can do about it.

also, one more thing for shake (and me too):

http://survivalistsingles.com/index.php giggidy.

The last one I watched was a welder who is prepping for a pole shift. Meaning the north and south poles switch places. After his whole insane bit and $300K spent to put a place in a mountain at almost 12,000 ft elevation, the people who research for the show basically say it's impossible for this to happen in this guys life time. He also put his place at the end of a road that is snowed in 8 months out of the year.

actually that sounds like a pretty secure place there. assuming he can get to it when it's snowed in (if not then he's a big IDIOT). but really, do you have any idea how ridiculous of a bunker I'd have if I won a big amount of money? like I wouldn't do it if it were more than 20% of my net worth, but if I had like 100 mil? shiiiiiiit. I guarantee I'd seem crazier than any person on that show and I've never even seen it. and I'm not even crazy!

(haha, yes I am)

Anyone whos ever visited a gun show probably has seen the survival/weapons/how to kill the neighbor and get away with it books. Most of them are from paladin press. Look see if they have a website or something. And things.

yeah there's always tons of those types of books at the shows I've been to. I usually blow right past them looking for ar's or combat shotguns or something, but I'm going to another show here coming up in january and I'll look to see what they have.

also, one more thing for shake (and me too):

http://survivalistsi...s.com/index.php giggidy.

woohoo! there's hope after all!

oh I read it bro. it said don't go into debt just to get your prepping supplies. it's just WRONG. because you should ALWAYS go into debt. for anything. it's what's fun to do! I don't know where I'm going with this.

so anyways, about the show... not sure why I didn't see it coming since it's a reality show and that's what they do, but they apparently only picked people that are stupid/crazy to go on there, not the well planned and thought out types that do stuff like that. these people are mostly completely stupid. first, they seem to all be planning for one specific even, which is obviously dumb (though I have a feeling that's more the producers saying "to get on the show, you have to pick one black swan and say that's what you're prepping for"). but after that, most of the people are going about it in just balls out idiotic ways. oh well though, if you think about it, anybody that's smart and serious about prepping would never go on a national tv show to show everything they've done.

what they SHOULD do though, is do a show by experts at this shit to give tips and stuff. that would be cool. maybe even somehow do a survivorman type thing but for apocalyptic scenarios. that would be so cool.

After seeing the responses to Katrina and other natural disasters (...), I'm thinking about doing some prepping myself.

yeah where are the guns.

Yee, go get that flood, hurricane, earthquake etc with your gun. I bet it will go away...

Why all Americans think they can solve their problems with a gun? I like your idea, I watch doomsday prepers from time to time (even tho I think most of those people are mentaly ill, having some sort of anxiety issues (or in fact physicaly with their thyroid that cause the fear problems). Nontheless, your bug out bag should consist of usefull stuff like some of the stuff on your list that can help you to survive or get away from the danger area....

I never understand people who not only have dozen guns but also teach their kids (of whatever age their are but some cases they were 9, 10 and up) to hold a gun and shoot! That is soooo irresponsible, and they shold not be surprised when one day their kid will take a gun and shoot someone thinking that is the easiest way to solve a problem.

Did you ever think about the fact that 95% off all mass shootings in schools, malls etc happens in US?! In Europe (apart of the lates events in Norway) it just doesnt happen! But heeeej lets teach the KIDS to shoot for protection which they dont need, because the event you are trying to protect your kid from will never happen ... - thats the most prepers thinking process...

Still good luck with your preping :)

guns are bad, mmmkay

Ok, I will address this exactly once in this thread. If you want to debate the merits/hazards of gun control then go start your own thread.

It isn't a matter of solving all problems with a gun. The fact is, it's just a tool and it's a good one to have in your toolbox. With it, one can potentially procure sustenance as well as defend themselves. As far as teaching kids to use it, access to a firearm at an early age does not automatically induce criminal behavior. In fact, when taught to handle firearms safely and responsibly, I would argue that the discipline that accompanies that process would tend to have the opposite result.

There are preppers out there that feel differently (I believe there was even a couple on the show that thought they wouldn't need a firearm in their supplies) and that is their right, but it is something I would much rather have and not need, than need and not have. Furthermore, it is my belief that this becomes amplified in a TEOTWAWKI situation where 911 doesn't exist and you are left to your own devices.

• Like 1

That P.J. dude writes surprisingly well.

Starting watching Doomsday preppers tonight. Man, these people are ****ing nutso. How do so many crazy people have this much money?

Preppers that are willing to go on tv are completely whacked out.

Know of any bad ass vehicles built for the apocalypse?

so anyways, about the show... not sure why I didn't see it coming since it's a reality show and that's what they do, but they apparently only picked people that are stupid/crazy to go on there, not the well planned and thought out types that do stuff like that. these people are mostly completely stupid. first, they seem to all be planning for one specific even, which is obviously dumb (though I have a feeling that's more the producers saying "to get on the show, you have to pick one black swan and say that's what you're prepping for"). but after that, most of the people are going about it in just balls out idiotic ways. oh well though, if you think about it, anybody that's smart and serious about prepping would never go on a national tv show to show everything they've done.

what they SHOULD do though, is do a show by experts at this shit to give tips and stuff. that would be cool. maybe even somehow do a survivorman type thing but for apocalyptic scenarios. that would be so cool.

They had like...2 pretty darned good prepper set-ups on the first show. Everyone since has just been looking to get on TV. My favorite part of the show is the 3-6 month hand held diary style follow up when the person basically either looks dejected by the amount of time and resources it takes to go all the way or they look indignant where they firmly believe the stance and approach they took on the show was righteous.

A lady last season has a legit mental illness where she hordes food and hides it in the house. She puts food inside walls, doors and anything with an open space. Somehow this was called prepping and got on the show. Like, she had to wait for husband to leave the house so she could start hiding food.

Another prepper family in Utah has this nice house in a residential neighborhood and created a temp bug in shelter under their living room. It took them a couple of years of digging out the space slowly and removing the dirt in a methodical Shawshank type

way. The living room entrance was hidden under a wood burning stove and they had a hidden exit to the garage. It was super secure and very well stocked. I have no idea why they decided to go on the show after being so meticulous about hiding the construction. weird

Whatever. True preppers don't show their supplies or strategies with anyone except the people they would let in their bunker if the SHTF.

There was a show called dooms day bunkers or something where a dude in Texas builds custom underground bunkers,delivered and installed them all over the country. That was cool.

Ok, I will address this exactly once in this thread. If you want to debate the merits/hazards of gun control then go start your own thread.

It isn't a matter of solving all problems with a gun. The fact is, it's just a tool and it's a good one to have in your toolbox. With it, one can potentially procure sustenance as well as defend themselves. As far as teaching kids to use it, access to a firearm at an early age does not automatically induce criminal behavior. In fact, when taught to handle firearms safely and responsibly, I would argue that the discipline that accompanies that process would tend to have the opposite result.

There are preppers out there that feel differently (I believe there was even a couple on the show that thought they wouldn't need a firearm in their supplies) and that is their right, but it is something I would much rather have and not need, than need and not have. Furthermore, it is my belief that this becomes amplified in a TEOTWAWKI situation where 911 doesn't exist and you are left to your own devices.

I agree with your post but you sure did sugar coat the bolded haha.

Plus, guns are super fun to shoot. bang bang

So whatcha gonna do about it? Stay the **** put and defend your position. Think of how much ammo, water, and food than you'd possible need for 6 months.....then double it. That's prepping friendo.

This is my plan, now that I'm a homeowner again. I don't keep a bugout bag because anything bad enough to send me scurrying from my house in a big hurry probably won't be survivable no matter what...ask any Floridian...roads can and will clog up in a big hurry and it's simply safer to stay home, dig in and defend. If I actually do have to leave, it's going to be in a bugout truck and I'm taking everything it will hold with me. Which should be a lot. I'm not really a SHTF or End of the World person, I don't spend all day dreaming up scenarios and I'm not narcissistic enough to believe that if the world does come to and end that I'm capable of buying things with a credit card that will protect me from that. It's just a hobby for me really, I like buying stuff and having stuff, and if something ever did happen where that stuff would be useful, so much the better. I'm not a worrier or obsessive about "getting ready" so to speak, the people on Doomsday Preppers are nuts.

As far as "supplies" that I've pieced together over the years:

Weapons, ammunition, tools, firestarting and whatnot are pretty well accounted for, but obviously I'll be adding to the collection over the years because let's face it, I'm a redneck gunjunkie and there's no such thing as enough. This is from a "I love owning cool toys" perspective...not from a "I think I can fight a one-man war against a global superpower" perspective. My only immediate thought on prepping is that I'd like to start adding MRE stores a case at a time until I get a year's worth, then evaluate the space requirement and see if I have space for more. Properly stored, MRE's can last decades, and it can't hurt anything to have them around. I have an easy month's worth of food stored as it is. Would like to get better backup cooking supplies because my single-bottle propane grill alone won't cut it. Water isn't much of an immediate concern with a 20,000+ gallon swimming pool in the backyard (chlorine boils right off), plus I live about 500 feet from a major Upstate NY river.

Other things I would like to add to my supplies over the next few years: Good output generator with emergency fuel stores, water purification system as well as transport (jugs) for river water. I also want to stock up as much ammo as I economically can, because while I don't really believe in end of the world scenarios, I definitely do believe ammo is only going to continue to get more expensive and less accessible.

aj, I still think you should have some water or at a minimum some means of purification. I don't know the geography around your house but unless you're on the peak of a good sized hill I wouldn't rest too assured that the pool won't get tainted with stuff nastier than chlorine. However, the pool would make a great source of "grey water" for things like washing and toilet usage.

aj, I still think you should have some water or at a minimum some means of purification. I don't know the geography around your house but unless you're on the peak of a good sized hill I wouldn't rest too assured that the pool won't get tainted with stuff nastier than chlorine. However, the pool would make a great source of "grey water" for things like washing and toilet usage.

My water lines are gravity fed, so they'd pretty much have to be severed for anything to happen to the tap supply. As for the pool, it has a heavy-duty cover and there are no trees to speak of on my property...it's a relatively new development.

I'm not saying bottled water is a bad idea, it's just not really a priority. The power in my area could be out indefinitely and the water would still flow as normal.

Know of any bad ass vehicles built for the apocalypse?

I had to post these:

0TmWMMOA_1XYSVbj6seV.jpg

MG9ciSatCIqxtW0TXfI8.jpg

PqJCoVETxHIXeMflss-h.jpg

u79rtSdbGNG2WTSQpTcn.jpg

31 days to whatever, day...I forget

grocery list

the "I have a full time job* one person, one year plan"

25 lbs cornmeal

25 lbs flour

25 lbs rolled oats

25 lbs pasta

50 lbs rice

150 lbs wheat berries

2 Q mayo (nope, yuck)

4 lbs pb (where's the J godammit?)

1 Q salad dressing (because my bitch won't toss without it)

4 lbs shortening

4 G veg oil

5 lbs dry soup mix (soup for you)

10 lbs lentils (you damn dirty hippy)

5 lbs lima beans

50 lbs pinto beans (i'm assuming you want more of this variety so you can produce your own methane)

10 lbs soybeans

10 lbs split peas (in case you want to remake the exorcist movie)

3 lbs brown sugar (how come you taste so good)

3 lbs corn syrup (i thought liquids were measured by quarts and such)

1 lb gelatin

5 lbs honey

5 lbs jams & jellies (there it is)

1 lbs molasses (more if you want to make rum)

6 lbs powdered fruit drink mix (oh yeaaaah)

40 lbs white sugar (thats racist)

75 lbs dried milk

12 lbs evaporated milk

1 lb baking powder

1 lb baking soda (more if want to make your own crack)

10 lbs salt (I think this is on the low side, lots of reading I've done says it is really easy to underestimate your need for salt. if you plan on doing any curing/pickling etc you'll want loads of salt. plus it makes a great barter item and salt blocks will make hunting easier)

3 G vinegar

.5 lb yeast

25 lbs canned fruit and veg

50 lbs canned meat (i sure do like that potted meat, mmmhmmm)

approx 365 count multivitamin and mineral supplement

365 count vitamin C

1 gal unscented bleach

14 G water (again seems low considering how vital it is)

build your med kit

antibacterial soap

antidiarhea (chachacha) meds

lg bandages and dressings

basic surgical kit

bed liners or plastic sheeting

blood pressure monitor

cpr shield

crutches

epsom salts (makes a good laxative in a pinch, who knew?)

several boxes surgical gloves

injectable antihistimine

injectable epinephrine

IV electrolytes (shoot some gatorade in a pinch?)

needles and silk thread

ophthalmic salve (google it, i had to)

oral/injectable antibiotics/sulfas

pain meds (mmmmmm percocet)

quikclot

scalpel set

rubbing alcohol/peroxide/iodine/betadine copious amounts

SAM splint

scissors

sterile IV kit

sterile needles & syringes (good luck getting 'em)

stethoscope (ok, shake you rob speedz and we'll meet at the compound)

thermometer

tweezers (because splinters suck)

*unless it's shake's job, then you'll have to scale down considerably