Surviving The Zombie Apocalypse (And Other Disasters)

plus you know you can't be raw doggin no zombie bitches

finished up my car emergency bag (except for the food bars; they should be in today or tomorrow). put everything in I mentioned above plus a fleece jacket, some camp soap, moist wipes, firestarter, and some jumper cables that I didn't even know I had.

so hank, I know you mentioned you live in an apartment. do you keep all your guns there or are they at your dad's house or something? I've just always thought it'd be odd to keep a bunch of guns in an apartment and that's been one of the big roadblocks for me for getting out of my shit house.

Yeah, I have all my guns with me. I keep one pistol in the closet next to the front door and one in the night stand next to the bed. The rifles and extra ammo are all in a spare closet in the bedroom.

freaking wackadoos!

loonietunes!

You make a good argument. But in an apartment, storing large quantities of anything is next to impossible. I suppose I could look at off site storage. I'll have to do more research on that front. Also, from everything I've seen on the Yellowstone volcano (which is a couple of specials on tv) if that puppy goes anything near projected, well most of North America is hosed right off the bat. I think the most likely scenario I'd be looking at would be super storm type scenario. So that is my priority prep. Something I need to survive in a short term duration and can bug out to a normalized area if need be. I'm thinking the mass exodus would occur in a 1-10 days timeframe after an event such as that. If I have enough supplies on hand to ride that out and enough fuel to make it even 80 or 100 miles away I'll be sitting in good shape. The road warrior scenario is a low probability one but, given the nature of politics the last few years, I could see a massive financial collapse or something along those lines leading to a general breakdown in civil authority etc and then we have more of an anarchical setting where scrounging and position defensibility become more prominent.

I never knew you were black!

Allow me to retort: T-Dog mothertrucker.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never knew you were black!

I'd say just buy more ammo so you can shoot people who invested in gold coins

I also don't see the point of this whole doomsday prepping thing that people are doing. However, I won't judge anyone for preparing for something that is unlikely to happen. Just like I hope nobody

yeah as I was writing that I was like "uh, yeah that doesn't really work" but still, I gotta go for the black joke.

one other thing I added to my car kit that I forgot about: a little shovel. just a trowel really, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I'd really like to get one of those nice packable shovels that could help clear snow from tires or shovel gravel in front of them or something. they ain't cheap though.

yeah as I was writing that I was like "uh, yeah that doesn't really work" but still, I gotta go for the black joke.

one other thing I added to my car kit that I forgot about: a little shovel. just a trowel really, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I'd really like to get one of those nice packable shovels that could help clear snow from tires or shovel gravel in front of them or something. they ain't cheap though.

do you get much ice your way? kitty litter is pretty handy in the winter.

yeah good call. was actually thinking about buying some chains for the car (and possibly truck too). but then, you know, that might eat into my shirt and gun accessory budget, so it's been a tough purchase. where's a good place to get chains? should they be fitted to my car? we don't get a ton of ice, but when we do it's terrible because we don't have nearly the resources to deal with it as places that get that kind of weather more often.

and while I'm at it, I'm going to bitch about that a little: damn yankees and other retards always come down here and complain about how we "go crazy" when it snows and how our stupid road crews can't get rid of it right... well no shit jackasses, we get snow like once a year, and bad snow like once every 4 years, of course we aren't used to it and don't know how to drive in it like people that do it for 20% of the year. and why the hell should we invest millions of dollars in snow removal shit that we'll use once every 4 years? I bet you wouldn't know how to drive through a hurricane you igloo living in faggot eskimo sononfabitch.

that got a little out of hand.

Yeah, I have all my guns with me. I keep one pistol in the closet next to the front door and one in the night stand next to the bed. The rifles and extra ammo are all in a spare closet in the bedroom.

You make a good argument. But in an apartment, storing large quantities of anything is next to impossible. I suppose I could look at off site storage. I'll have to do more research on that front. Also, from everything I've seen on the Yellowstone volcano (which is a couple of specials on tv) if that puppy goes anything near projected, well most of North America is hosed right off the bat. I think the most likely scenario I'd be looking at would be super storm type scenario. So that is my priority prep. Something I need to survive in a short term duration and can bug out to a normalized area if need be. I'm thinking the mass exodus would occur in a 1-10 days timeframe after an event such as that. If I have enough supplies on hand to ride that out and enough fuel to make it even 80 or 100 miles away I'll be sitting in good shape. The road warrior scenario is a low probability one but, given the nature of politics the last few years, I could see a massive financial collapse or something along those lines leading to a general breakdown in civil authority etc and then we have more of an anarchical setting where scrounging and position defensibility become more prominent.

crazy people!

You don't need many cubic feet for canned goods and those 5 gallon bottled water jugs. The water is easy if you use a water cooler already. Just buy a few canned goods every time you go to the store. It won't take long before you have canned goods from floor to ceiling. If you get serious about prepping (lol flakes) you'll need to rotate through the canned goods to keep the older goods towards the front. Every year around thanksgiving and christmas you will be able to donate the stuff that's 2 yrs old and keep cycling through your pantry.

Super storms in Nebraska? Like a bunch of class 7(?) tornadoes ripping up mile after mile of towns and cities for an extended period of time basically decimating the plains? I can't imagine this scenario but it doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

How are you going to survive the storms? Underground shelter with everyone else? Will your apt be intact with all your prepping gear? You will have to bug out on foot because the roads will be trashed, there won't be gas, people who did try to drive out clogged traversable roads as they broke down. I guess you could steal a nice 450cc motorbike but society isn't broken and that's illegal.

It seems like you're over prepping for this scenario. I don't even think you would need your .22 or much of the gear you listed in the OP.

BUT

Prepping isn't about being ready for one specific event. It's about being more prepared than others for something unimaginable that may or may not happen in the future. If the shit hits the fan people will be competing for resources. All the grocery stores will be looted early along with any any food distribution hubs. There isn't a lot of food in relation to the population of any city or town anywhere. There are waaaaay too many people and our transportation systems are way too efficient to necessitate having anything more than two days of inventory at any one grocery store. If the supply chain is broken, food goes quick. Then you have a population of desperate human animals who will revert back to natural law. That wouldn't be pretty. I think a prepper should be able to outlast the initial panic/desperation/starvation cycle and then compete with the people who also survived. It's Darwinian in the sense that the survivors will be the ones who have accepted and adapted the best and will simply do what needs to be done to survive.

I'm interested in what that 21 days of prepping book has to say.

oops, I mean....SCREWBALLS!

g-dubs,

That list is like the start of my wish list for the long term prep, so you're right, it is overkill for the short term scenario I'm looking at but would prove useful in numerous other scenarios. Like you said, I'm not looking at being absolutely prepared for one specific scenario. I'm just looking for an edge that would be beneficial across a wide array. If I was independently wealthy then I would have all that and more along with a great location but I have to try and do this in the world I live in, not the world I want to live in.

There were some gnarly storms over in iowa a few years back that really jacked up power, travel and, like you've said, the supply chain. As far as surviving the storm itself in my apartment, mine is a first floor with plenty of interior room and on fairly high ground for relatively speaking, Also, I've got access to the service tunnel underground right outside my door. If I had my druthers, well yeah I'd have a nice storm cellar where I could keep my gear, food, water etc. but that ain't in the cards right now so if my number is up, well so be it. But if it isn't, well, I'd like to have head start post hoc.

I've already started buy canned goods and dry staples on on sale to stock up and, like I said, even without power I have enough food to last at least a couple of weeks even discluding the perishibles in the fridge. Learning to do some canning is on the checklist to augment food storage. I'll admit that I have lagged on water storage simply due to space. But I'm rectifying that and am allocating a little more of the budget that way for a little while.

31 days to survival, day 1: chiggity check yo' skillz boyeee

So the author gives a list of 15 "survival" skills to assess yourself on. Homework for day one is to write down the list and honestly assess your abilities in each area then start to fill in the gaps. So here is the list and my grade on a scale of 1-5. With 5 being proficient and 1 being little to no knowledge/practice. I've combined some of the items that I felt were complimentary or overlapped each other.

1) Food processing: Knowledge and competence in preparing survival foods using what you would have available in the event of a disaster.

Rating: 2. I have some practice but as I get more supply of things like non-processed staples I'm going to have to prepare meals with them on a semi-regular basis. Also, given I don't have a fireplace or woodstove I need to give more consideration to food prep. I have begun stockpiling propane tanks to utilize my gas grill as it will be my primary cooking method. If push comes to shove there are some community grills on the grounds here that I may be able to use/appropriate for my use which could utilze wood from the area across the lot from me if need be.

2) Bulk food storage/preserving food: without it #1 kinda moot and demise all but assured.

Rating: 2. Building a nice supply of canned goods, rice, and beans but still need some work. About my only knowledge of food preservation techniques is being around my grandmother and aunts when they used to spend days in a row canning vegetables. Also need to consider learning to cure meats.

3) Emergency medical care: pretty standard but book cautions not to overlook herbal/natural medicine as after a disaster your choices will probably be limited.

Rating: 2. Have had some basic first aid and cpr training but it was years ago so I'm sure knowledge/skill has atrophied.

4) Resupply: water purification, hunting, trapping, fishing, and gardening. Being able to replenshing stocked supplies would be critical for long term survival.

Rating: 3. Water purification equipment on wishlist. Will bump up purchase priority to practice water purification. Had a garden from the time I was 6 to 16 years old. Could grow just about any food plant without chemicals at that time and still feel comfortable with the knowledge. Same for hunting and fishing. Haven't done any in a while but used to avidly and feel confident I could pick this back up with relative ease. Haven't done much trapping, would be worth learning to build a few different types of traps and how to identify good places to deploy them. Refreshing/augmenting this skill set is lower on priority list.

5) Firearms repair/firearms proficiency: don't need to learn to fix every gun out there but need to have a good knowledge of your firearms.

Rating 4. Would give myself a five if I had some replacement parts that are common for some of my guns. Will start adding to the list. Also, looking at some basic tools that may be necessary. Shoot regularly at various distances with solid/excellent results.

6) Self defense skills: no need to get fancy. Basic understanding of anatomical vulnerabilities and basic striking skills

Rating 4. Years of studying multiple martial arts as well as some basic weapons training in some disciplines. Should probably practice a little more and maybe work on a bag to stay in form.

7) Using tools: having a kit of basic hand tools and being able to use them

Rating 4. Have a decent kit of tools and use to work as a contractor so understand uses/limitations.

8) Raising small livestock.

Rating 1. Virtually no knowledge of raising something like chickens. Very low on priority due to practicality.

9) Home power: while possible to live with no electricity having a small supply will ease life considerably.

Rating 1. Little to no practical knowledge.

10) Investing. After or as part of prepping build a cache of barter goods like .22 ammo, pocket knives or even "junk" silver coins.

Rating 2. I have a number of pocket knives as well as always keeping a backup supply of luxury items like asswipe on hand.

Next lesson: Preparedness binder.

And shake, careful, you'll poke an eye out with that thing.

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks is pretty good. I don't really know if the survival techniques and suggestions would work in a non-zombie (more realistic) situation though.

I haven't read it in a while and didn't really study it when I did but I think it's benefit would be more conceptual and in terms of strategic thinking.

I dont know if its been mentioned...sorta sped red through this...

I always save a bottle or two of antibiotics from doctor/dentist/ visits for future use. Nothing worse than getting out in the middle of nowhere with a bad tooth or something

And by something I mean the morning after blacking out in a mexican strip club brothel and not remembering if you visited the upstairs rooms or if the barkeep threw in unrequested mexican water posing as ice

And at my age my list would contain preparation h, foot powder, and a t-shirt with a bullseye on the back for the wife...

yeah antibiotics are pretty much one of the number one items that should be on your list. problem is you can't just go to walmart and get them. if you're like me and don't ever go to the doctor, it's kind of hard to keep them on hand (they go bad after a while don't they? thought that's what I heard). and I just recently cleaned out my medicine cabinet and damned if I didn't throw some away (just checked). do have a doctors appointment this friday though; new doctor too, maybe I'll ask her if she can prescribe me to a couple different antibiotics for my survival kit? she might be down you never know.

and up to hank's list, I think I'd be pretty good at most of that, but the long term food processing thing is not a strong suit of mine. past gardening, I don't really have any hunting/trapping skills, and I sure as hell don't know how to dehydrate or cure meat in the wild. I mean I have a dehydrator and can make jerky in my house but that ain't exactly going to be an option I'd assume. I guess I really should learn more about that kind of stuff, but it sure is a lot easier to just buy more guns and ammo and assume you can just shoot people for more food.

and one thing about the long term food storage: everybody's talking about canned foods, and they're ok, but remember, they don't have that long of a shelf life themselves, so once the food supply is cut off, you don't have but so much time to use them. plus, they're heavy. can't really carry 100 pounds of canned foods with you if you're on the road. maybe consider getting some of those mountain house freeze dried meals. I've got a few and I'm thinking about getting a couple of those tins that they make. they supposedly have a shelf life of 25 years. that's the kind of shit I'd have if I won the lottery and got to build my dream bunker. oh man, would that be cool. chicks would SWOON over my bunker, man.

Well, I took a look at the oldest can in my inventory and it's use by date is August of 2014, so 2 years ain't bad for canned goods. Also, if I have to split I'm not trying to take the entire apartment with me. The canned goods are to get me through short term trouble where there is likely to be a return to a semblance of normalcy in a few weeks or so.

31 days to survival lesson two: start your binder.

What is the most important component of your preparedness preparation? Is it water, food, shelter, emergency medicine, defense? The correct answer is none of the above....Some will disagree with me on this, but that's OK....Information and individual survival skills are key to your survival, and both require a well-rounded and well-organized survival library.

He goes on to talk about how having a single, hard copy reference manual would be invaluable. By all means, purchase as many books as you want on the topic, all will probably have some value. But, books are expensive and fragile so look at printing free articles from the web. He mentions some government sites like FEMA for emergency planning, state extension offices for agricultural info, as well as places like survivalistblog.net. He recommends waterproof paper and ink but since I have atrocious handwriting I'll probably go with lamentated printouts. I think target has the machine for like 30 bucks, can probably find one cheaper online. Basically, put together reference materials and start with the weakest areas you identified in step 1.

that does sound like a good idea. when you buy the laminator can you do me a favor and print my book out for me? just need one page: "Shoot everybody in the face."

I'll pay for you to ship it to me.

but yeah, definitely not saying that canned goods are a bad idea, especially if you're buying stuff you eat anyways and rotating them. my problem is I don't really eat anything canned so it's not a great option for me. I think I'd still recommend getting some of those mountain house tins (25 year shelf life? I mean come on! that's cool.) and also those food bars for the bug out bag specifically. hell they really aren't that expensive.

that place I linked earlier (http://beprepared.com/) seems to be the cheapest place to get a lot of them.

I think my biggest concern is water though. food, guns, tools, all that stuff is moderately easy to carry if you're on the move. but water? that shit's heavy and you need a lot of it. I have a purifier and plenty of nalgene bottles, but it's just, you know it's going to be a pain in the ass always searching for water in a survival situation. even if you stay put the shit takes up a shit ton of room in your house if you have as much as you really should have. stupid water. almost as bad as women.

Looks like I'll be a wife in this type setting as well. Dammit.

Shake, can you take a pic of the doc's face when you ask for antibiotics for your survival kit? Please?

Are you guys watching Revolution on NBC? It's about total power outage all over the planet. Like, no power. Anything electrical wont work. Not even cars, which confused me. Anywho, it's 15 years later, militia's have been formed, guns confiscated. I also had my doubts about any gun owner giving up their guns, voluntarily or by force. Good premise of a show. Check it out

oh ron I'm not actually going to ask the doctor for antibiotics. that's ridiculous. I purposefully went out and got chlamydia so that she'd HAVE to prescribe them to me.

see, not so dumb after all, huh?

• Like 1

oh ron I'm not actually going to ask the doctor for antibiotics. that's ridiculous. I purposefully went out and got chlamydia so that she'd HAVE to prescribe them to me.

see, not so dumb after all, huh?

Yeah I tried that plan, didn't go so well. Anyone know if Valtrex is good fire starting material?

• Like 1

31 days to survival day 3: organamize yo shefs and stuff

Kind of addresses my issue of how to stock up properly while living in an apartment/trailer/shack in virginia or some other less than roomy space. Basically is the better your organize the more space you'll seem to have. Also recommends some nontraditional places for storing food like under the coffee table. Finally, he recommends buying building a rotating food shelf.

www.wiki-how.com/Build-a-Rotating-Canned-Food-Shelf

I thought somebody mentioned doomsday preppers in this thread? pretty sure I heard of it here. no I haven't seen it. want to though. maybe during thanksgiving break while I'm in my hotel room alone hiding from my family? let's hope!

UPDATE!

got a few things delivered today. first was the food bars. haven't broken one open yet but they're damn solid and pretty freaking hefty. gotta think that if they're even remotely edible that I'll be buying 8 or 10 more. also of note, the place I got them from, emergency essentials I believe (linked it on the last page), is awesome. quick shipping, seems like they have the lowest prices I can find, and they gave me a free sample! only spent like 18 bucks and they sent a single serving of mountain house beef stroganoff. stuff's like 4 or 5 bucks on it's own. nice too since that was one of the flavors of tins that I was going to get, and now I can try it ahead of time. highly recommend these guys.

also went ahead and pulled the trigger on that backpack I linked (5.11 tactical rush 24) and got that in today. this thing is BAD. ASS. this thing's got more compartments than lindsay lohan's pill box. hydration pouch, internal pouches, two cell phone pockets in one of the front pouches, all kinds of shit. and it's tough as hell. real sturdy. plus lots and lots of strapping loops. gonna be one hell of a shooting/running from zombies bag. oh and it's damn big. didn't really expect it to be this big. perfect size for on the move survival.

hank you ever read any books or things on surviving in the woods? like being lost and such? I've got one that's really awesome that I need to dust off. can't remember the name. either way, probably wouldn't hurt to study a bit of both: modern survival and wilderness survival (and maybe your book gets into it).

On The Soup, they showed a clip from a show titled Doomsday Preppers. Are you watching this one? Nobody answered my Revolution query

I watched a couple of the first episodes of DDP and I'm watching Revolution but they're losing me. In an attempt to make the characters complex, they're practically giving them mulitple personalities. I'll chalk it up to first season floundering, but they better get things sorted out soon with the character roles. That and there are some nit picky things that are rubbing me the wrong way. For instance, no machinery so they can't make ammunition for modern weapons therefore modern firearms are these rarities and the common firearm is a musket. However, rifling has been around since the 1500s and was commonplace in the 18th century and cartridge ammunition since the 1800s. Also, if there's no machinery where the hell is everyone getting their clothes that obviously aren't hand loomed or animal skin? If the show's creators aren't going to take it seriously then I can't either.

I thought somebody mentioned doomsday preppers in this thread? pretty sure I heard of it here. no I haven't seen it. want to though. maybe during thanksgiving break while I'm in my hotel room alone hiding from my family? let's hope!

UPDATE!

got a few things delivered today. first was the food bars. haven't broken one open yet but they're damn solid and pretty freaking hefty. gotta think that if they're even remotely edible that I'll be buying 8 or 10 more. also of note, the place I got them from, emergency essentials I believe (linked it on the last page), is awesome. quick shipping, seems like they have the lowest prices I can find, and they gave me a free sample! only spent like 18 bucks and they sent a single serving of mountain house beef stroganoff. stuff's like 4 or 5 bucks on it's own. nice too since that was one of the flavors of tins that I was going to get, and now I can try it ahead of time. highly recommend these guys.

also went ahead and pulled the trigger on that backpack I linked (5.11 tactical rush 24) and got that in today. this thing is BAD. ASS. this thing's got more compartments than lindsay lohan's pill box. hydration pouch, internal pouches, two cell phone pockets in one of the front pouches, all kinds of shit. and it's tough as hell. real sturdy. plus lots and lots of strapping loops. gonna be one hell of a shooting/running from zombies bag. oh and it's damn big. didn't really expect it to be this big. perfect size for on the move survival.

hank you ever read any books or things on surviving in the woods? like being lost and such? I've got one that's really awesome that I need to dust off. can't remember the name. either way, probably wouldn't hurt to study a bit of both: modern survival and wilderness survival (and maybe your book gets into it).

Sounds like xmas came early to the zuma house. I think my next purchase will probably be the pack I linked to earlier. Probably with some sort of dried food as well so I'll check out the company you mentioned.

I've perused my copy of the U.S. Army survival manual (FM 21-76). Also the manuals on booby traps and improvised munitions just for shits n giggles. I actually would recommend the survival manual, lots of topics with illustrations in there and you can usually find copies for <$10 at gunshows and such. Actually, I think I need to see if I can find it in pdf format to print and put in my prep binder. TO GOOGLE!

Day 4's homework was to track food usage for a week. There was a chart of some common food items and their typically shelf life.

Day 5's homework was building a solar cooker. Handy if in the SW U.S. but for areas with, you know, seasons, might not be all that practical.

Day 6: Let's go shopping for your 72 hour kit!

You'll want to adapt this to your specific area/needs/skills/finances. No kit recommendations are going to be 100% universal. The items below are what typically makes up a "72 hour kit," that is a kit designed to get your through the first 3 days of an emergency. I thought this was relevant to what I'm doing and might be to some others as well. This is not a bug out bag. This is a kit to get you through the first days of a major event. I suppose you could overlook it if you know you'll bug out immediately, but in the event of something like a weather catastrophe, you might be stuck for a bit so I'm definitely taking this one to heart.

1. 3 day supply of bottled water, roughly equal to 1 gallon per person per day.

2. 3 day supply (this is where the food journal is handy) of nonperishable foods, ready to eat without cooking and with minimal water usage is best.

3. A portable, battery powered (or hand crank) radio that gets at least AM/FM (shortwave a bonus). Plus at least one set of backup batteries.

4. Flashlight(s). Don't skimp here, get good quality lights as well as back up batteries and bulbs. Augment with solar charged LED area lights and/or hand crank flashlight.

5. Basic first aid kit (there's a later section on building a good medical kit).

6. Toiletries. Asswipe, toothbrush & paste, feminine hygiene products (I figure they might come in handy for medical situations or for my slave bitches when I become a less homoerotic version of lord humungus), unwaxed dental floss (also good for sutures/sewing).

7. Matches and waterproof storage for them. I suppose if you don't mind dropping cash (like shake) you can get waterproof ones.

8. Lantern. At least one battery powered lantern and backup batteries.

9. Whistle. Sturdy plastic if you live in cold weather environment.

10. Extra clothing for season and climate. Seems like a no brainer as this isn't a bug out kit, this is a hunker down kit.

11. Cookware. Most modern kitchenware isn't designed for open flame cooking.

12. Individual needs. If you wear glasses, keep a spare. If you're on prescriptions, keep some in reserve.

13. Baby items. In case your wife leaves in you a coma in the hospital and gets knocked up by your best friend in a matter of a few weeks.

14. Sleeping bag

15. Tools. Multitool, crowbar, hammer, staple gun, adjustable wrench, bungee cords, roll of wire, and heavy duty work gloves are all nice haves.

16. Water purification. Either tablets, a filtration system or even household bleach with an eye dropper are effective.

17. Plastic sheeting, duct tape, utility knife. Just because it's a disaster doesn't mean you won't potentially have to dispose of a hooker's corpse.

18. Sanitation items. Large, heavy duty trash bags and a plastic bucket for bodily waste.

19. Stove. A small, multi-fuel backpacker's stove is ideal he says.

20. Dust masks.

21. Rope. At least 100 ft. of 550 lb paracord or similar product.

other reco's: keep photocopies of id, credit card info, insurance policies and other important docs. a bankroll of at least $100 in small bills.