2012 Nhl Labour Troubles Thread

Im beginning to get bothered by this now. This is usually the time of year I start to get excited, now a part of me just wants them to cancel the whole year and screw themselves over.

I want to find a way to screw THEM over, but I don't have the startup $$$ to start my own league.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THe thing I'm worried about is how different I feel about this work stoppage as opposed to the last one. This one leaves me disgusted with both the players and the owners, although I don't have the s

McKenzie for commissioner.

I want to find a way to screw THEM over, but I don't have the startup $$$ to start my own league.

I guess thats why they get to play the game they do, both sides. One has the money no one else has, the other side the talent.

Its a supply and demand world, and as long as we demand it, they'll just keep supplying it whenever they feel like, for however much they feel like.

I guess thats why they get to play the game they do, both sides. One has the money no one else has, the other side the talent.

Its a supply and demand world, and as long as we demand it, they'll just keep supplying it whenever they feel like, for however much they feel like.

Too bad monopoly rules don't seem to apply...because that's exactly the kind of mentality that antitrust law is supposed to protect us against.

am i the only one who reads about CBA news, and immediately tries to find the positive in it? I feel like I might have done this with the last 2 work stoppages too ('94 for those that are too young), but I really feel like by next week they will come to an agreement. The last time I could see the cap being a bigger problem, but I continue to think that this one is all about how much $$$ each side gets, and really, why sacrifice months of revenue, just for a bigger piece of the future revenue. At some point, not making anything is going to be countereffective.

I'm positive like that too, Arp. Deadlines have a way of making negotiations come together.

The owners took a pretty big step today in returning to the current way of calculating HRR, and offered the players 47-49%, decreasing over 6 years.

I think that percentage would have to come up a little, to say 49-51%, and the players would have to accept it. Then figure out a better revenue sharing stream and get it done.

During the last lockout I was really hoping to win the lottery and fund an invite 3-on-3 tournament (smaller surface than nhl) where players vote on the best goalies (8 goalies. #1 and #8 on the same team. #2 and #7 etc) and the goalies are team captains and pick the players. 7 skaters per team.

two 20 minute halves (running time. after a goal you take out of your own net and go). penalties are penalty shots at the end of the game. majors = ejection and 3 penalty shots.

everyone plays each other twice. top team goes to the final. next team gets a bye. bottom two teams play to move on. each round is a two game goals scored series (old school).

if we have another cancelled season, I'll email Jim Balsillie

I've mentally prepared myself for no hockey. For sure I will still be disappointed but as I said earlier, I will just watch more of the English Premier League. I've always been a big soccer fan so a lockout will really allow me to get into things even more.

If a lockout is avoided then good. Either way, I will always watch and support the NHL but they certainly risk losing a ton of fans in some of the markets.

John-Michael Liles@hoosierjm26

Just wanted to send out big congrats to gray bettman on his 3rd consecutive work stoppage. Impressive stats for someone w no athletic skill

John-Michael Liles@hoosierjm26

Wow...big misunderstanding! GRAY Bettman is a guy on my slow pitch team...has cancelled last 3 games and has no athletic skill #mybad

I havent read the whole thread but here is my take on things.

I have never been a Bettman fan obviously and I am not happy with this situation more than ever. I still dont understand how such an important job he has , makes over $7 million a year, and is in the same job for over 20 years.

Who the hell keeps a job like this for 20 years? Is he Fidel Castro?

I dont understand the owners stance. They want to reduce player salaries, but up until the last minute they kept handing out ridicolously long contracts and overpaying players.

These players arent free agents yet..Whats the point of this..The owners cause this...The players are willing to give back a reasonable amount..But the prick in charge wont have any of it.

Yeah...direct case in point. Jeremy Jacobs is one of the owners crying poor (or at least arguing that he deserves a bigger share of revenues) but then he signs Milan Lucic to a deal paying him the same as the Sedin twins.

Am I missing something? Is this not why we're in a lockout now?

SMH at these assholes.

I have no doubt that the owners have given out some dumb contracts. But it's not as easy as saying "don't spend." If the Stanley Cup was given out to the most profitable team, then you can let teams decide however much they should spend. Since teams have to compete against each other you need the system to keep salaries down.

Note: I don't know if it's the case that the system needs to be changed to allow profitability. I'm just saying IF it's the case that salaries are too high from a business standpoint, you do need to change the system.

I have no doubt that the owners have given out some dumb contracts. But it's not as easy as saying "don't spend." If the Stanley Cup was given out to the most profitable team, then you can let teams decide however much they should spend. Since teams have to compete against each other you need the system to keep salaries down.

Note: I don't know if it's the case that the system needs to be changed to allow profitability. I'm just saying IF it's the case that salaries are too high from a business standpoint, you do need to change the system.

I think its pretty obvious. No matter what you do, certain markets cant sustain a profitable NHL hockey team under the current conditions. If the salary cap is anywhere north of $25 million most teams will lose money.

Unlike the NFL the economic disparity between the top revenue teams and the teams losing money is HUGE. Without huge TV revenue its never going to work.

MLB doesnt seem to complain when some teams outspend other teams by huge amounts.

Yankees payroll this year is just under $200 million. The San Diego Padres will spend $55 million on salaries.

Ive made the argument before. Why shouldnt the most succesful franchise off the field, not be able to reap the benefits on the field?

Sure I am a fan of the Leafs and not Phoenix, but a team shouldnt be punished for doing well financially.

a) welcome back Serge.

b) I think the NHL needs revenue sharing, just the rest of the major league sports. Although, I hesitate to refer to the NHL as a major league. Unless we're willing to accept a 6 team league, then you have little choice.

c) I'll say it for the millionth time.....Bettman is the figureheard. I dont get why so many hate him, and never bring up the owners themselves, who pretty much direct him. What do we think is going on, there's a bunch of owners in a room somewhere saying please lets end this lockout, and Gary is the one fighting them off? Every owner knows revenue sharing is whats needed, but they all decided to see if they could first get as much as possible from the players, and lessen the blow to the teams making all the revenue. Most of the teams can easily afford these deals, they just refuse to have other teams in the league to support. Fine, but maybe you should have thought of that when you were cashing their expansion money cheques.

a) welcome back Serge.

b) I think the NHL needs revenue sharing, just the rest of the major league sports. Although, I hesitate to refer to the NHL as a major league. Unless we're willing to accept a 6 team league, then you have little choice.

c) I'll say it for the millionth time.....Bettman is the figureheard. I dont get why so many hate him, and never bring up the owners themselves, who pretty much direct him. What do we think is going on, there's a bunch of owners in a room somewhere saying please lets end this lockout, and Gary is the one fighting them off? Every owner knows revenue sharing is whats needed, but they all decided to see if they could first get as much as possible from the players, and lessen the blow to the teams making all the revenue. Most of the teams can easily afford these deals, they just refuse to have other teams in the league to support. Fine, but maybe you should have thought of that when you were cashing their expansion money cheques.

I agree about the owners...But then they should be responsible.

Its like being a father and complaining that your son doesnt wake up in time for school, then letting him stay up till midnite everynight.

Because the "most successful off the ice franchises" have nothing to do with on the ice play, it's merely a factor of geography and population base. Why alienate the other 26 teams in the league? It's stupid. Those teams fortunate enough to be in the few huge markets SHOULD be subsidizing other markets. They need teams to play against, they need 30 teams to sell tickets to 1230 games each year, TV revenues from 1230 games, etc.

There needs to be greater revenue sharing. The NFL has it, do you see the bigger market teams complaining about it?

The MLB is a mess with their disparity among the haves and have nots.

Having said that, the NBA players get 50%, the NFL players get 48%. The NHLPA needs to (and probably does) realize that they'll need to eventually get it down to 50%. The owners need to realize that they can't ask for it all at once. That's absurd. They need to take a bit of a correction to something like 54, and drop it 0.5% for each of 8 years, the length of my proposed CBA, or something like that.

This is easy, let's get this done.